JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@johnrj48 What you posted looks to be for match pistol shooters... the OP is shooting a rifle from a bench rest.

@Head Shot The OP is shooting factory match ammo, he wrote about the handloads to illustrate that the rifle used to shoot much better.

Rifle is a ar308 aero receivers, rainier select 20" barrel. A few yrs ago this rifle could shoot clovers at 100yds with hand loads. Took her out 3 weeks ago and it was shooting all over(using same hand loaded ammo) picked up some factory match ammo and that picture is the results.

My guess is that the scope is damaged.

My guess is that the scope is damaged.
Same here. Scope or mount loose or broken.

Had a scope rail wear oblong holes where the screws went through to the receiver. Scope was tight to the mount and rail, but rail worn at the receiver attachment point. It gave me similar results.

The next rail base I made sure was made out of steel and JB weld went under it to make sure that didn't happen again.

Same here. Scope or mount loose or broken.

Had a scope rail wear oblong holes where the screws went through to the receiver. Scope was tight to the mount and rail, but rail worn at the receiver attachment point. It gave me similar results.

The next rail base I made sure was made out of steel and JB weld went under it to make sure that didn't happen again.

I've had scopes internally damaged from being knocked, and scopes with loose mounts. It was weird that a coupla shots would fire just fine, then not. When I finally thought to take a look at the scope, low and behold the dang screws loosened up while shooting... forgot the Loctite!!!

I've had scopes internally damaged from being knocked, and scopes with loose mounts. It was weird that a coupla shots would fire just fine, then not. When I finally thought to take a look at the scope, low and behold the dang screws loosened up while shooting... forgot the Loctite!!!
Some high volume shooters will place a small drop of paint on the nut/screw along with one on the underlying attachment point so they can visually see when the screw or nut is starting to turn/loosen up.

I've done that on a couple of ARs, but don't generally make it a habit to do on every single rifle.

When was the last time you ran copper removing bore cleaner through the barrel?
I recommend Hoppes black.

The day before I shot this

[
QUOTE="hatchj, post: 2449180, member: 9381"]
Is the crown damaged? That or loose optic would be my guess with the given information. I cant imagine some fouling would cause those groups to open up that much.
[/QUOTE]

Crown is fine. I just torqued it and it was tight.

I'd be checking to make sure the scope and mount is tight and not broken somehow.

Slap another scope on it and see if it's still happening.

ugh don't say that:s0099:. Scope is new (leupold mark 5). I may have to swap scopes but don't really wanna.

QUOTE="twa2471, post: 2449551, member: 13372"]
I have a M77 Ruger "All weather warrior" stainless with a very light profile barrel and often run into the same thing by the 4th round. Not that I've ever needed more than 1 to take down a deer. Target shooting or checking for zero before season, it's quite common to have a flyer by the 4th round if fired in in close secession. I use the same load/ammo in many of my heavy barrel guns and have no issues and can cut the same hole all day long.

Not knowing your barrel profile, that could be the possible issue and just what I've experienced with my Ruger.
[/QUOTE]

I think its a medium profile barrel.

What does the target look like with a 10-shot group? Are the rounds tightly grouped at a new POI, or just scattered around?

This right here. I should've done a 5 shot group, as others mentioned, heat may be the culprit. I'll try again in a couple days.

:eek::eek::eek:

New scope??? Installed since the last time it shot fine??????????????????????????????????????

Come on brother... tell me it ain't so!!!

Hmmm???

Well imma go back out and try it again in a couple days. I guess i'll rob one of my other rifle for an optic and see what happens sigh..

That ims mount looks pretty bad arse so you probably don't have to worry about that as a potential cause. I usually have a known quantity scope in a cantilever one piece ar mount ready to go. I can pop on a rail quickly to test out ammo and gun accuracy. It comes in handy.

Hmmm???

Well imma go back out and try it again in a couple days. I guess i'll rob one of my other rifle for an optic and see what happens sigh..

Well, you said it's a new scope. What I was trying to get to is the thought that if that new scope was recently installed. If the rifle shot well with the old scope, but not with the new scope... That points a blazing arrow right at the most likely problem... something with the scope... either the scope itself could be defective, or the mounts, or the way it is mounted, or the screws or mount is loose.

Is the mount installed across the junction at the lower and the barrel? From what I understand, that can lead to problems.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top