JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Although @tac mentioned pain, if you get it in the right spot, it's not so bad. Bench work was the worst. Standing and field work was fine. It IS the finest looking buttplate for an '85.
I loved the B78 I had, but eventually my tastes changed and away it went.
Kurt at H&K throated it and I could seat the Speer 400gr bullet in the lower cannelure groove, adding to the powder capacity. Lyman has good loading data for the upper 2 "levels". RL7 (Reloader 7) is one of the best powders. I stopped right at the dividing line between the "Marlin" loads and the "Ruger" loads, which was 2050fps. Recoil was stout, but accuracy was very good. Never shot anything besides targets, but I really enjoyed that rifle.
Every once in a while there is a B78 or 1885 that comes up for sale and I start drooling.

Hang in there, Mark!
B78.jpg

So just to add to the story. Oct 13th was to be the last date one of us due a share of the lawsuit money could raise an objection. And yesterday I get home and there is an envelope from the Lawyer YEA!!!!! ok not so much seams that on Oct 4th a third lawsuit paid out and a new accounting had to be mailed to the various parties involved. Don't know if that means there is another waiting for a challenge period or what. Though it does look like it as it was a smaller amount (though it ups my share almost enough to buy the sights!) they just added it on. Of course the lawyers cut went up.

With my luck this will drag out another couple months before I see my fun money check. And when I do I won't be able to find the rifle I want anywhere LOL'

Fingers crossed.

a few dodads for reloading BP cartridges
Casting and loading black cartridge loads is a rabbit hole.
Over at cast boolits forums thee is pages of how too's.

The number one thing to remember is FILL and pack the powder into the case. I build all straight wall cases as if they are black powder loads.
They just shoot better. I learned 45/70 loading from Randy Garrett. His ammo is world famous.

I have 3 45/70s and love black powder loading. paper patching 360-540gr hollow based postel rounds is a blast.

Velzey the 1885 you have for sale has been teasing me since you first posted it. But while the 405 was what I wanted in the start over time I have come to realize the 45-70 would suit me better.

OK I know this will jinks me but here goes. The letter showed up from the lawyer Friday to come pickup the check and I went right to the companies web site and HOLY SMOKES it shows both the choices 30" or 32" barrels in stock. AND they have a dealers in Kiezer so like 12 miles away. NOW will the IN STOCK last until Monday after noon when I can get the check into the bank and such???

OMG I don't believe it. I called the Lawyer this morning they said come on down. Chatted with the Lawyer a while we have been acquaintances for as long as we have been in town like 33 years and his relatives live on three sides of our daughter and their family) I sign the receipt and off to the Credit Union I go. A few minutes there and a bee line across Salem to the Dealer that hopefully will be able to order the rifle for me. I get there right as they open. And sure enough he calls Taylor and its in stock he puts a hold on it and I pay $1399.00 CASH and he gives me a receipt. That covers the rifle and the BGC.

Almost anticlimactic made me think of Dads Antelope. He waited 9 years for a Tag waiting for me to be able to draw with him as a party. At that time you needed 5 rejection slips to get to the main draw. SO He didn't apply as I would need one more. And they changed the rules and I ended up getting a TAG. I went with my younger brother and chased antelope all over Juniper Unit cause I had no idea how to hunt antelope.

SO the next year Dad turns in his rejection slips and of course pulls the TAG he wants. He pulls out his Model 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Krag makes sure its sighted in. And with the same little brother in two as I used. He heads off. They set up camp in the early after noon he scouts out a couple Alfalfa fields to try in the morning. He leaves camp early, Walks for about 10min to one of the fields and as he comes up over a slight rise he see's a small group including a couple decent bucks. He gets in position for a shot and as soon as the buck he's chosen is in the clear he pulls the trigger. At about 200 yards the round goes right over the animals back. But doesn't spook him. So he adjusts his aim and trys again. This time the round hits behind the animal having passed under him. The antelope moves a few yards. Dad figures he's got it zero'ed in now fires and hit the animal in the bread basket just nicking the bottom of the heart. He said it jumped straight up in the air and moved about 3 steps and hit the ground like a ton of bricks. The rest of the group was 100 yards away almost instantly.

Dad walked up and made sure the animal was dead set his rifle down to get out his knife and happened to notice his watch. Antelope season had been open for just under 15min. Dad said it was the most anticlimactic hunt he had ever been on. Waited 9 years and in 15min it was over.

Hoping this rifle is a little more exciting then dads one antelope hunt.

I bought a Win Low Wall in .260 Rem a while back, when the price was normal (probably around $800). Winchester made very few in this caliber, so the price for one started climbing, getting up to $2000 or so.

I did a little shooting with that gun, but although the .260 is not known as a kicker, the gun was so small and light that the recoil did bother me some. It wasn't fun to shoot.

So, I sold the .260 gun, and then applied the profit to another one in .223 Rem, including having it re-barreled in 6.5 TCU. So, I got a nice easy to shoot gun in a unique caliber, and I also had them place a barrel mount in the "scout" position and put a Leupold scout scope on it. This kept the gun as handy as an iron-sighted gun, but with much superior sights. Also it got the scope away from the breech, making loading very easy. Here is the result (the cartridge with a rubber band was just an experiment to see how hard it was to have a couple of spare rounds handy):
IMG_0245.JPG
I figure that was a 200 yd deer rifle, but I never shot a deer with it. I did carry it quite a bit though, and yes it was handy.

Well here i sit a full week after ordering and of course paying for this rifle. Not quite going nuts yet. But wondering when that call will be made telling me when its arrived at the FFL and I can rush in and fill out the 4473 and sit and wait some more. At least once they get to me BGC's with my name take only a few min. An advantage of being the only person in the country with my name. Anyway waiting.

HOLIDAY SHIPPING OMG Paid on the 7th its now 15 days later and still no RIFLE Starting to get annoyed. Them FED EX boys and girls got some splaining to DO.

HOLIDAY SHIPPING OMG Paid on the 7th its now 15 days later and still no RIFLE Starting to get annoyed. Them FED EX boys and girls got some splaining to DO.
That's brutal. Did they give you a tracking number so you can see where it's sitting? I had a couple parts sitting in Chicago for almost a week before getting moved through and getting here on Monday

The darker the berry, the sweeter the juice.

Wait, wrong metaphor...

Now is the worst time of the year to expect fast, or even normal shipping times. I ordered a Christmas gift on the 16th and it won't be here until the 28th. And it's a freaking pillow. I imagine a rifle will be much longer.

The darker the berry, the sweeter the juice.

Wait, wrong metaphor...

Now is the worst time of the year to expect fast, or even normal shipping times. I ordered a Christmas gift on the 16th and it won't be here until the 28th. And it's a freaking pillow. I imagine a rifle will be much longer.

Yeah, but you don't have to pass a background check to receive a pillow! You never know if the "State Run" system will be flucked up by the critters at the capitol just for the sake of flucking things up.

I missed this thread when fresh (don't have webbernet in my wall tent in Eastern Montana in October). Up to speed now, and I'd almost bet you a beer I'm as excited as you are about YOUR gun.

Before it DOES show up and you get "in the weeds", I'll make only one recommendation right now: Try to make a decision at this juncture whether or not you are going black powder/lead, or jacketed/smokeless. You made reference to the strength of this action for full power modern loading. True. But that does not mean you will enjoy that.

Of course you can experiment both ways. But the blackpowder/lead route requires an amount of devotion and time that other experimentation will interfere with.

But it is SO much fun in the process of learning and SO very worth it for an "old" gun.

If your heart is set on the brass scope (I REALLY like that idea), touch base with me when you are ready. My "island of misfit optic toys" includes a new something right down your alley that I have stared at for 20-plus years. (Original idea was to put it on my Thompson Hawken with the .36 Green River round ball barrel as a "muzzleloading varmint rifle"). Ain't promisin' nuthin, but it's kinda stupid to just keep starin' at it.

Think you can't wait? I think I'm not alone here saying I can't wait.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top