What fun. I have waited years to by my lust rifle and now this crap.

Although @tac mentioned pain, if you get it in the right spot, it's not so bad. Bench work was the worst. Standing and field work was fine. It IS the finest looking buttplate for an '85.
I loved the B78 I had, but eventually my tastes changed and away it went.
Kurt at H&K throated it and I could seat the Speer 400gr bullet in the lower cannelure groove, adding to the powder capacity. Lyman has good loading data for the upper 2 "levels". RL7 (Reloader 7) is one of the best powders. I stopped right at the dividing line between the "Marlin" loads and the "Ruger" loads, which was 2050fps. Recoil was stout, but accuracy was very good. Never shot anything besides targets, but I really enjoyed that rifle.
Every once in a while there is a B78 or 1885 that comes up for sale and I start drooling.

Hang in there, Mark!
B78.jpg

OP
Mark W.

Mark W.

Reactions
So just to add to the story. Oct 13th was to be the last date one of us due a share of the lawsuit money could raise an objection. And yesterday I get home and there is an envelope from the Lawyer YEA!!!!! ok not so much seams that on Oct 4th a third lawsuit paid out and a new accounting had to be mailed to the various parties involved. Don't know if that means there is another waiting for a challenge period or what. Though it does look like it as it was a smaller amount (though it ups my share almost enough to buy the sights!) they just added it on. Of course the lawyers cut went up.

With my luck this will drag out another couple months before I see my fun money check. And when I do I won't be able to find the rifle I want anywhere LOL'

Fingers crossed.

Reactions
a few dodads for reloading BP cartridges
Casting and loading black cartridge loads is a rabbit hole.
Over at cast boolits forums thee is pages of how too's.

The number one thing to remember is FILL and pack the powder into the case. I build all straight wall cases as if they are black powder loads.
They just shoot better. I learned 45/70 loading from Randy Garrett. His ammo is world famous.

I have 3 45/70s and love black powder loading. paper patching 360-540gr hollow based postel rounds is a blast.

OP
Mark W.

Mark W.

Reactions
Velzey the 1885 you have for sale has been teasing me since you first posted it. But while the 405 was what I wanted in the start over time I have come to realize the 45-70 would suit me better.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom