JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So for maybe the last 25+ years I have wanted an 1885 Winchester at first in .405 Win and then changed my mind to a 45-70 Gov. due to the wider range of available bullets and molds for making my own ammo (I pretty much only use my own loads aside from .22 rim fire and Shot shell). Three times in the past I have had the money to by a nice reproduction of this rifle (an original would cost WAY to much) but each time I talked myself out of making the purchase mostly due to other things needed at the time.

Well this time the house is paid off theres a bunch of money in the bank the 401K is moving along nicely and out of no where 18 months ago I find out a law suit (asbestos related) my dad filed before his death is going to pay out. Now granted I am one of 8 shares but still a nice sum of money. And its mine to do with as I please (wife said so LOL).

So of course I go to the importer of my choice and the version I want is Back ordered and since they are all made in Italy and right now that country is messed up with Covid. So no telling when they might be filling orders (I kind of doubt the shortage is due to panic buyers LOL). So a search around on line and find some where that has the exact model I want and their price is $300 less then the big importer! NOW if it just doesn't disappear in the next 3-4 weeks (when the check should actually arrive)

So I go looking for Brass and even thats a little hard to find and while I do have some I have happened across over the years not enough. So when I found a good price on some bags of 50 new pieces I bought 100. So now I have 100 new pieces of 45-70 brass and not even a reloading die to put them in LOL.

I see a 30" 6X Brass scope and some really nice veneer sights in my future along with reloading dies, a few dodads for reloading BP cartridges (the 1885 is strong enough to shoot everything from Trap Door Springfield loads to modern loads suitable for a Rugar #1. I figure at least 3-4 different bullet molds and of course a few boxes of modern jacketed bullets will all be on the shopping list.

IF when the money is in my hand I can still find one to buy!

...some really nice veneer sights...

Vernier sights, maybe?

This is my Uberti .45-70 Govtwith the pain-inflicting butt. Do NOT go for this design unless you really enjoy frequent breaking of the clavicle. IMO THE definitive glass sight for this rifle would be the Montana Vintage Arms replication of the Winchester A5 scope in x6 - a choice of old-style mounts with no markings, or modern-style graduated turrets.

I have still not settled on a definitive load for mine, but seeing as I have around a thousand 405gr lead flat-nose bullets, and jacketed SP bullets are around a dollar and a quarter EACH before I even make the load up, I guess I'll be sticking with them.
1601719134182.png
Some lovely case-hardening on mine, too....
1601719434607.png
BTW, the rear sight on this - as made by Uberti - is total carp.

Last Edited:
Yes as I was typing up my OP on my phone at work in the dump truck waiting to be loaded I mis spelt Vernier. I'm thinking on the Iron sites that I will wait until the rifle is in hand and I get an idea of how I want to use it. I have a Montana Vintage Arms front sight on my model 1894 Buffalo Bill rifle with a Williams Target receiver mounted peep sight and a Montana bubble level in the rear sight dovetail.

The scope will take some serious thinking on as its going to cost as much as the rifle with the mounts and accessories..

There's a saying that I don't remember exactly, but it boils down to for most rifles, you should spend double on the optics. I think the idea falls apart if your gun is really pricy, as some of the top optics only run up to 4k or so...but for mere mortals, with a budget, the maxim isn't that far off. If you like your rifle, at least spend as much if not more for the glass to help you shoot to the rifle's potential.

What configuration are you looking for? Mine is a traditional hunter with buckhorn sights and a peep mounted on the tang.

Checkered pistol grip stock, 30" or 32" Octagon barrel, Double set triggers. None of the modern Winchesters ever came with the Double Set triggers that I have ever seen.

So I go looking for Brass and even thats a little hard to find and while I do have some I have happened across over the years not enough. So when I found a good price on some bags of 50 new pieces I bought 100. So now I have 100 new pieces of 45-70 brass and not even a reloading die to put them in LOL.

Well, I've owned and shot a couple of .45-70's. So now you have 100 cases. You're a good, stout man if you use up more than that on one outing. But for recoil it won't beat the .300 Win Mag I had, an old Model 70 with a hard plastic butt plate.

Is this a Pedersoli you are buying?

Watch for the bluing! I have their 86/71 Wildbuster in 45-70 and after sitting in the safe for a year, it some how got spot rust on it. They were no help to the gun. :mad: :(

Actually I am looking at one made by Uberti the Pedersoli are more expensive and use a single set trigger. As someone who shot Muzzle loaders in competition and huntingd for years I really like a Double Set trigger set up.

Yes as I was typing up my OP on my phone at work in the dump truck waiting to be loaded I mis spelt Vernier. I'm thinking on the Iron sites that I will wait until the rifle is in hand and I get an idea of how I want to use it. I have a Montana Vintage Arms front sight on my model 1894 Buffalo Bill rifle with a Williams Target receiver mounted peep sight and a Montana bubble level in the rear sight dovetail.

The scope will take some serious thinking on as its going to cost as much as the rifle with the mounts and accessories..
Buffalo Arms will be your friend in finding accessories. My dad is good friends with the owner and I buy stuff from him every now and then.

I have an 1885 made by Uberti that I used in BPCR competitions down in Arizona. Addictive sport when you have matches less than an hour away.

My Uberti was outfitted with a Badger barrel years ago.

IMG_20191222_183602001.jpg

Buffalo Arms will be your friend in finding accessories. My dad is good friends with the owner and I buy stuff from him every now and then.

I have an 1885 made by Uberti that I used in BPCR competitions down in Arizona. Addictive sport when you have matches less than an hour away.

My Uberti was outfitted with a Badger barrel years ago.

View attachment 758200
Beautiful-looking rifle - the barrel looks a tad shorter than mine - what length IS it? Can you PM me with details of Badger Barrels? TIA.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top