JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ruger double actions are built **** for stout. no reason it shouldn't be able to shoot the heaviest bullets for 357, unless the cylinder is too short for the overall length of the cartridge. I have never shot one, but I would imagine the recoil might be a little stiff. everyone perceives recoil a little different. I have a little 640 S&W in 357, it kicks plenty, but I don't think its painful to shoot. my chioce for deep woods carry, would be a little larger framed gun.

actually what I missed adding was the 327.

I was asking about the 327 Magnum Sorry :rolleyes:

As I have had a couger in the empty lot across from my house and a large black bear crossing the road in Maple Valley WA just this week the .12 ga stays inside the front door and the 10mm stays with me. If you look at the threads from Alsaska about bears you will see that bear spray is nearly always effective in stopping bear attacks. As to the big cats you will never know its there until its got you by the back of the neck like acouple of backpackers and bikers in the high county in CA last year. Ambush hunters are cats, bears not so much even though they can hit 30MPH at a dead run. You just need to be faster than your hiking mates.

From what i hear you will likely only get one shot off at a charging bear. It better be at least a 10mm or 44mag if from a handgun. If you miss you will be toast. And if the bear is not charging you of course have time for lots of shots, but why shoot a non-charging bear?
That is dumb.
So instead of all the bear vs handgun silliness, just take some powerful long range bear mace and use it if you feel threatened by a charging or ready to charge bear. Then run your *** off.

Man, guys! Come on! I think as a society we have evolved beyond using violence to solve our problems! Did anyone ever think of saying some kind words to the bear? Maybe call it pretty? I think a little positive re-enforcement is the order of the day here. Hey, look how well it worked for Timmy Treadwell!

BTW~(Walk softly and carry a big stick. Basically, carry the biggest darn gun you feel comfortable shooting. I promise you it will make you feel better, if not turn an angry bear away.)

Agreed. I think a simple rattle can and some tasty reward treats are the best way to solve any problems you may have with any animals you encounter.

Growing up in AK, you either carried a 12 guage with slugs or you took a risk and just carried a 44 magnum. They now make a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull. Its the first pistol I'd be alright with around a grizzly, but I wouldnt look forward to pulling the trigger.

You guys and your little bears down here... I don't know what you are afraid of ;-)

When was the last time a black bear killed a full grown man who was behaving wisely? You guys are probably in more danger on SE 82nd.

I hike and horseback in the woods and pack a fifteen round 10mm Tanfoglio. It's all steel and has a finish that just doesn't rust or wear off. It is a bit heavy but a lot easier to pack than a shotgun and is definitely better IMHO than any wheelgun. In town my CCW is a Taurus PT145 with the barnes solid copper 185gr flying ash trays.

I just moved here from AZ, but down there our Concealed permits included any sort of weapon you could legally own (i.e. shotguns, rifles, etc.) And also having stayed near the Mexico border a few times my favorite camping firearm was an underfolding Yugo AK47 with at least 3 mags (Drug runners travel in large groups). The real danger was when you were sleeping b/c they'd snoop around your camp and steal anything available. But, I digress. The bears and mountain lions in Arizona where up against mine and my friend's AK's! :D

I hope I'm the only Alaskan who wanders in here and finds you guys planning on protecting yourself from bears with a Glock.

You've heard the joke, right? File off the front sight? :D

Most Pac NorthWetters are not going to know the joke...I do only because I teach up in AK and my students think it is funny to tell to the mainlander...I humor them and act like I've never heard it before.

I carry a Redhawk .44 mag with 300 gr. JSP handloads over a full boat load of H110. It recoils like a .454 Casull, but penetrates through stuff like no other.

As for the bells and pepper spray,.

pic153531.jpg

:D:D

Taurus Tracker in .41 mag. Light gun, not too big and the .41 magnum while not real common, is a real stomper.

Did you just infer that I'm "uncommon"? :D

If I had the money, and IF I were to go trapsing around the 400lbs+ walking fur coats with teeth and razor blades... the ultimate would be a 454 Casull, but a .357+P would make me feel somewhat OK too. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top