JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Me: M-79 Grenade Launcher, affectionately known as a 'Blooper".

M2 .50 Cal Machine Gun (BMG) or ''Ma Deuce'.

3.5 Rocket Launcher

M72 Rocket Launcher

M-14 on a bipod shot fully automatic (it was punishing when proned out to shoot it)

M-16 fixed stock

There's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment...wait

81 MM Mortar

1911 .45 cal Semi-Auto (experted with it)

And while not a firearm, another rather exotic weapon: Hand Grenades - gawd I loved throwing them.

Oh yeah and C-4 explosive

You?

GAR-11. Falcon nuclear warhead for Convair F-102 Interceptors.
d34e2b0dbba6cf335b3feed04c8cd429.jpg

While these guns may not be "exotic" for the rest of the world, I found them to be pretty exotic from an American's perspective. During a deployment my unit spent a some time training local Iraqi forces and to do so we had to be at least somewhat familiar with their weapon systems in order to properly train them. Some of the more notable / memorable were:

Various AKM rifles
DShK
NSV
PKM
RPD
RPG-7

And I once saw what I think was a PTRS-41, but I didn't get a chance to play with it at all :(.

Having two Ordnance MOS's, there's not much I haven't trained on, 4.2" and less.

My favorites? (Vietnam Era)
M-79,
S&W Victory .38
M-2,
M-60,
Mini Gun,
Vulcan,
M-129 Chunker
2.75" LSFFAR,
LAW.

(Post Vietnam),
M-108 (Ruger Speed Six)
M-249
M-240
All the mortars.

Last Edited:
mkw,

You are correct, though the fixed stock M-16 I transferred to from the M-14 was the newest one out.

At the time I thought it exotic, but again, you're correct. It's now passée....

DSC06814.jpg
This one is pretty exotic by today's standards.
Old . Circa 1800 or so , made by J.Henry...in Bolton PA.
Full wood stock , in this case maple...
Single shot , in original flintlock , no less...
Long barrel , 40 inches...and large caliber... .58
Very different that what most folks have or think of when one says "Rifle" at least in today's world.

Yet ,
At one time rifles like these were a very common sight in America...This one more than likely went West with a Fur trade company....and was used for hunting , defense and all around shooting needs.
Not much different than the rifles , that were then in use by the US Army ( The 1793 and 1795 Contract Rifles ).
This rifle is still used by me at times...it has kept me fed and won a rifle match or two for me.

Sadly we are getting to a point in time , where in much of America , rifles of any sort are exotic and shrouded by mystery.
Its good to have a reminder when that was not so.
Andy

M134
M129
M197
M230
Hydra 70
TOW missiles
Hellfire missiles
along with the aiming system (Helmet sight system, direct and indirect optic system etc)

Man, some of youse guys have experienced weapons that didn't exist when I was in.

Wish I coulda...

One weapon not mentioned is the bayonet.

I learned the 'on guard maneuver' along with the 'butt stroke and the horizontal stroke' with a bayonet on the end of my M-14.

To this day, I find myself at odd & rare times with a rifle in my hands (when no one can witness my silliness) practicing these arcane maneuvers just to see if I can still do them.

I can.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top