JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't forget the stupid emissions testing.
LOL, I ran my van through DEQ last week. It keepd throwing up engine lights and warning codes like "EGR failure" etc. Fortunately I have a reader that I plug into the harness, I keep it plugged in until I enter the DEQ bay. At that point I hit "Clear Error Codes" and then unplug it. TA DA!

.... and with the cost of vehicle ownership maybe we should consider that along with our $1.69 bottle of water that we drink every day. (I personally do not get those I'm fond of tea but the same idea!!!)... instead of complaining about these costs that are there... eliminate the fat that you have in your life that will more than offset the registration costs...

<off soap box>

While I don't drink bottled water... why pay for something you can get for a miniscule fraction of the price at home? I don't think that's the point. Even if I spent $30 each and every day eating chocolate truffles it would be spending of my own choosing and if I found it was costing me too much I could drop it. It's not quite the same as being legally obligated to pay a sum of money that seems go nowhere and doesn't do anything.

You have enough money to own all that stuff, yet you whine about spending less than 50 cents a day?

If you didnt read the op,s post he was stating the outragous cost of vehicle registration. That is what this post is about.

But, beings that you brought it up, yes, I can afford to have those things. I still believe that if you work hard you can get the things you want in life. For me, yes, I have gotten those things.

You failed attempt to turn this thread into a whining thread is duly noted. Go whine on another forum.....

Am I missing something here is there just a lot of idiotic circular logic going on? Does everyone need to keep paying these renewal fees to provide the DMV with $, so that way the DMV can pay for the people that handle the renewal process? Or is there really some purpose/utility to the whole thing?

Here ya go (from the ODOT site):

The money used to preserve, improve and operate Oregon’s road system comes from three main categories: 1) state funds; 2) federal funds; and 3) local (county and city) funds.

The State Highway Fund
The money raised by taxes and fees on the ownership, operation or use of motor vehicles or on the fuel they use is constitutionally dedicated in Oregon to the State Highway Fund. These funds, which come from the following sources, must be used on roads, bridges or rest areas:

Driver license fees and fees relating to obtaining a driver license (covering the fixed costs of providing the highway system)
$40–$154: issuance and renewal of driver license or commercial driver license with endorsements
$23.50: instructional permits
$5–$70: tests and special endorsements
Registration and title fees (covering the fixed costs of providing the highway system)
Registration fees
$43 per year: cars and light vehicles
$344–$764 per year: vehicles less than 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
$375–$1,295: vehicles over 26,000 GVW
Title fees
$77: cars
$90: heavy vehicles
Fuel taxes (covering the travel-related costs of cars and other light vehicles)
24 cents per gallon (30 cents per gallon after January 1, 2011) of gasoline, diesel or equivalent natural gas or propane: vehicles less than 26,000 GVW
Weight-mile taxes (covering the greater responsibility of trucks and other heavy vehicles — fees are based on weight and distance traveled) — effective Oct. 1, 2010
4.98 cents–23.04 cents per mile: vehicles between 26,001 and 105,500 GVW
7.1 cents per equivalent single axle mile: exceptional loads

The State Highway Fund is a shared revenue source. The net revenues from the taxes and fees listed above are distributed to the state, counties and cities using the formula below.

State: 60 percent
Counties: 24 percent, based on vehicle registrations
Cities: 16 percent, based on population

The 2009 Jobs and Transportation Act will raise about $300 million per year in additional highway-related revenue to be distributed as follows:

$3 million per year for the Travel Information Council for rest areas.
$24 million per year to the state.
The balance will be distributed as 50 percent state; 30 percent counties; and 20 percent cities.

Federal funds
There are two major sources of federal road revenue:

The Federal Highway Trust Fund, which is shared by the state, counties and cities.
Federal forest revenues, which are distributed to counties and earmarked for road purposes.

Local funds
City and county local road funds come from property tax levies, local fuel taxes, local improvement district assessments, traffic impact fees, bonds, general fund transfers, parking meters and fines, receipts from other local governments, and miscellaneous sources like fines, permit fees and private contributions.

I would be happy to pay it if i didn't get the living crap taxed out of me on top of that.

Honestly, i wish more services were payed for in this manner, but they will just take more and more and more on top of it (see state beach fees). The "Califoregonians" that seem to be the majority of this state can't see a tax or spending program they don't immediately fall in love with.

Still way better than CA - my tags for an F150 saved me about $600 - of course that was after a "late penalty" as when I bought the truck they "threw in" renewing the tags - which they failed to do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top