Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What exactly is the point of renewing vehicle registration?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raftman, Jan 5, 2011.

1. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Have had to do it plenty of times and it does seem to cost a pretty penny for what amounts to a pair of stickers. Wonder what the percent of mark-up must be.

It's gotta happen every two years and in all honesty, I have no idea as to what the purpose or utility of having to renew vehicle registration is. If the only thing that's changed from the time I bought the car is the mileage, why does it cost me nearly $90 to document that? One can make a case as to why a car may need to be registered in the first place, for stuff like insurance purposes or a recognized way to prove ownership in case of theft. But once the car is yours, why do you need to keep reasserting that, and for that kind of money?

Am I missing something here is there just a lot of idiotic circular logic going on? Does everyone need to keep paying these renewal fees to provide the DMV with $, so that way the DMV can pay for the people that handle the renewal process? Or is there really some purpose/utility to the whole thing?

2. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

:funnypoint: :lolbeat:

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Welcome to the government... :D

4. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

You get to renew every two years...up here, it is every damn year. Oh, and I agree entirely. It is just a way to suck more money out of us.

5. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

...revenue...

Keith

6. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Don't forget the stupid emissions testing. I have an oil drinking F-350 that seems to make it through every two years. Honestly, it's a waste of money but in the end it's all the same thing - taxes to feed the ever hungry government.

7. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

Think of it as the rent your vehicle pays to use the public roads and pollute the public air. Recently, it also became a way to force people to maintain their vehicle liability insurance. A side benefit is that it eventually helps find stolen vehicles---you can't renew without a title!

In my old neighborhood most people have bomb-proof license plate holders---to repel the thieves who just use metal shears to cut off the renewal stickers from other people's plates!........................elsullo :(

8. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

If you go south, renewal is every year. At least up here it actually looks like the money is actually being used for what it is supposed to be used for.

9. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

What do you think helps pay for the roads?

10. raftman

What damage do I incur by polluting the air that the DMV can do anything about with my money? Does the DMV clean the air after all those drivers get to all dirty? :D

The approximate $1400 that they take from my salary each and every month?

11. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

One of the highest gas taxes per gallon in the nation?

12. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

You need to quit using logic when considering government policies, your reasoning is sound, and your questions make a lot of sense.......Hence their total inapplicability to anything governmental.

13. Sling Blade

Depends where ya are: Washington is 6th in the nation, but Oregon far below that at 26th.

You want good roads for free? Ain't gonna happen.

14. Sling Blade

YIKES! If I made as much money as you, I'd burn mine.

15. raftman

You actually don't have to make that much money to get taxed that much. It's actually well below the median income for the city I live in.

16. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

It's just free money for the Government. It means nothing and provides no benefit to anyone EXCEPT the Government.

It's just like being required to "license" your dog. It's rediculous, and wrong, and serves no purpose.

17. Barefoot343

Barefoot343 liberalville Active Member

gas tax

18. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about how Oregon screws me on registration the other day. I have 5 vehicles, 5 atvs, and 4 trailers. The crappy thing is the trailers are $220.00 every 2 years! When I asked the DMV counterperson years ago on why so much, all he said was "if you can afford trailers that big then you can afford to register them".

19. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

.... and with the cost of vehicle ownership maybe we should consider that along with our $1.69 bottle of water that we drink every day. (I personally do not get those I'm fond of tea but the same idea!!!)... instead of complaining about these costs that are there... eliminate the fat that you have in your life that will more than offset the registration costs...

<off soap box>

20. Sling Blade

You have enough money to own all that stuff, yet you whine about spending less than 50 cents a day?