JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Something else that is unusual to see anymore is the standard glass front, wooden storage, gun-cabinet in the home... A furniture grade hardwood cabinet, has been replaced with a metal safe.
They are often found cheaply on Craigslist.

Something else that is unusual to see anymore is the standard glass front, wooden storage, gun-cabinet in the home... A furniture grade hardwood cabinet, has been replaced with a metal safe.

So true, My old gun cabinet now serves duty as a ammo and shooting accessories cabinet. 1603390709713.png

In my area I'm continually amazed by how many classic gun cases I see advertised for high prices.

If they were selling for reasonable prices I'd be very tempted to convert a couple into curio cabinets by removing the gun holders and installing shelfs.

In my area I'm continually amazed by how many classic gun cases I see advertised for high prices.

If they were selling for reasonable prices I'd be very tempted to convert a couple into curio cabinets by removing the gun holders and installing shelfs.
People are just remembering what they paid for them, not what they are really worth now. The same can be said for vintage entertainment centers designed for tube/projection TVs and VHS tapes...

I've seen everything change in Washington State. Anti-Gun, expensive to live, and no one drives friendly anymore. So much I'm moving at the first of the year. Getting out while the getting is good. Arizona bound. See you later Washington. I've loved it here in the beginning. No longer.

I moved here from Arizona a few years ago. There ain't no friendly driving down there, either.

Much more courteous drivers where I live now, than anywhere I saw in Arizona. You have to consider that the state has been flooded by people from California, Mexico, and the East Coast for decades. Not exactly places known for their driving courtesy. Loved the environment down there and there are some great places to live, left.

I had a custom 03-A3 30-06 since high school that had killed everything that walked on 4 legs in North America. 30+ deer and over 100 coyotes, we had some history. I loaned this rifle to a friend to hunt Utah, he fire one shot killed his buck. The four hunters stopped at a bar to celebrate and their rifles mine included were stolen from the gun rack. To me a gun rack is an attractive addition to a truck but not now in this day in age. Gun racks attract the attention of undesirable people to your vehicle. When I see a gun rack now that stolen rifle comes to mind. I would give 5,000$ and my left nut to get it back.

"People are just remembering what they paid for them, not what they are really worth now."

I have a Husky chain saw bought new in '79, still on the 2nd of 2 original chains. It must be worth a lot!! :D

Growing up in S. Calif, guns weren't a thing. Body surfing was the deal.

But when I moved here to La Grande from San Diego in 1980, truck gun racks were everywhere... and they even had guns in them!!! Paradise found.

But now it's all about theft. We still have the rural hunting culture, but we also have addicts and lowlifes. You just don't leave your rifle or shotgun in the rack. Not at Walmart, nor Safeway, nor the Post Office, nor McD's. Not at your barbers' and not in the driveway at home. Especially not as a spare in the woods while you are out hunting!!!

Body surfing was the deal.
[/QUOTE]
I remember body surfing. All fun and games til you hit two soft mountains in the north and a quagmire in the south, then it is all Splash Mountain. :s0114:

Gun Racks:
Got one in the Big Rig. Sees use in Montana once a year. Otherwise binocs dangle behind the seat from it.

Bench Seat:
Got one in the Big Rig. ('05 F350). Insisted on it when bought new (as well as standard cab, roll-up windows , rubber mats instead of carpet, and standard transmission).
Understandably all had to be "special ordered" from the factory. Don't think a standard transmission is even offered anymore in that rig.

Guns in Schools:
Not enough of them and that is a huge part of any problem that now exists. In High School (Suburban Metro Portland), we were allowed to take our Rifle Team guns home with us for "dry fire" practicing. Rode the school bus with 'em (buttstock on the floorboard, barrel skyward, bolt open and no case). "Dry fire practice" deteriorated into live fire at Robins and Starlings in the holly orchards (we as the team actually had an agreement with the holly farmer, and traveled as far as Wilsonville to work his property there). We could also transport our civilian .22's to school to dial them in at the indoor range.

Cheap Cars:
"Rat Boxes" is what I call them, and two that were Toyota Tercels saved my financial bacon over the period of 10-12 years when things were tight. The last one I traded a riding lawnmower for, had to chop it out from under a Blackberry tangle, fumigate it for the yellowjackets, pump up one tire, drop a good battery in and drove it 20 miles home. Both had nearly 200k miles on 'em and both took nearly 100K more from me and were "running like a ten-dollar Timex" (as Dad used to say) when sold. Keeps the miles off the Big Rig.

Tinted Windows:
Was in a Police Station lobby about 20 years ago (for a good thing). High school kid comes in with his first car: a Chevy Luv pickup, proud as a parakeet. Someone told him the tint job he'd paid for was illegal. Friendly cop I knew personally checked it out, told the kid it indeed was not acceptable "because if I pull you over, I can't see what's going on in the cab, etc. etc. etc..." Kid was really disappointed.

Cop got momentarily distracted as I pulled the kid aside and told him go back out and get in his rig out front of the PD, and when I signal, flip the bird (from inside at the windshield). Kid was not real sure about this as a "good idea". I explained my close relationship with said Cop. Kid exited the lobby and mounted his steed. I tugged on the Cop's sleeve and said the kid wanted to talk to him outside about the windows. I followed him out, signaled, message was clearly delivered and said Cop started for the rig post haste until I burst out laughing saying I'd put the kid up to it, and added, "Now tell me you can't see what's going on in that cab."

Last Edited:
1) "Don't think a standard transmission is even offered anymore in that rig."
I would have loved a 6-spd manual in our '03 F-250.

2) "Cheap cars"
I have found that several unreliable beaters does not = 1 good car.

3) I know how to work on cars out of necessity. I also really dislike doing it. Now that we have reached that state of economic grace where we can afford to pay somebody, it's worth it. I still recall with horror the time our 6.2 Chev diesel needed a new injector pump, labor was at least $400, and I was unemployed. After ordering a $30 special socket for the injectors I spent 4 miserable wet days in Nov. with the garage door 1/2 open. Today it's worth it several times over to pay somebody else to do it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top