JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Triggered snowflakes and smash-and-grab tweakers. One doesn't want you to have stuff. The other will steal your stuff on a whim.

I've never been one to advertise what I have, be that via gun racks or stickers. After a rash of area gun thefts from vehicles I consider that wise. But, to each their own.

A neighbor down the street had numerous ARFCOM, Oregunian, OFF, AR-15 family, 2A, and III% stickers on his truck. A couple days ago his canopy and cab windows were bashed in by a thief. Any guesses why?
My Dad had an old Scout with a Crosman forearm pump air rifle in the rack parked at the now Grocery Outlet for 5 minutes back when I was a kid.. smashed window and no rifle when he came out.
ftards are timeless

But, they were so real looking, I figured some idiot would break in figuring they could get a rifle. :(

As a purely practical matter of security, it's probably unwise to put anything in sight.

The tinted window thing. There's another of those difficult to enforce laws that have crowded the statutes. I know why the police hate these things, but there's no way they can effectively control it now. Too many honest and less than honest people have overly tinted windows now to pull them all over. Beyond honest people, it's my feeling that tinted windows offer cover for all kinds of things that shouldn't be done while driving. Helps hide ID in an era where cameras are everywhere, too.

Too many honest and less than honest people have overly tinted windows now to pull them all over. Beyond honest people, it's my feeling that tinted windows offer cover for all kinds of things that shouldn't be done while driving. Helps hide ID in an era where cameras are everywhere, too.

This is one of my YUGE peeves when driving. I want to see those eyes, and where their looking when I'm behind the wheel! Scares the crap outa' me that they'll lunge out at the last10th of a second.

As a purely practical matter of security, it's probably unwise to put anything in sight.

The tinted window thing. There's another of those difficult to enforce laws that have crowded the statutes. I know why the police hate these things, but there's no way they can effectively control it now. Too many honest and less than honest people have overly tinted windows now to pull them all over. Beyond honest people, it's my feeling that tinted windows offer cover for all kinds of things that shouldn't be done while driving. Helps hide ID in an era where cameras are everywhere, too.
I had dark tinted windows installed by the Ford dealer as part of the purchase of a new vehicle in Arizona. Pretty much standard equipment down there unless you want to bake your interior in a few months.

When I would get pulled over, I would roll down all four windows so the approaching officer could plainly see the interior of the vehicle. They appreciated it and I never got a ticket.

0PA0CPrDQ9mlq_N63Iwm3A.jpeg

I had dark tinted windows installed by the Ford dealer as part of the purchase of a new vehicle in Arizona. Pretty much standard equipment down there unless you want to bake your interior in a few months.

When I would get pulled over, I would roll down all four windows so the approaching officer could plainly see the interior of the vehicle. They appreciated it and I never got a ticket.

Makes more sense in AZ than WA for that purpose. Of course, there are degrees of tint. The ones that cannot be seen through from outside, those are agin the law.

One of my dumb-bubblegum sons-in-law (actually I have two dumb-bubblegum sons-in-law) was one of the few who have gotten a ticket for it. Remember when the latter-day Chrysler 300's were popular? The ones with the tall sides and narrow side windows? They still make that model but they're no longer a fad. Well, this guy had one of those, wanted the White Boy Gangsta look, the car was black and the windows looked just as dark as the paint. Expensive, fancy, shiny wheels with licorice-whip tires. It wasn't just bad luck, he was asking for it with that profile car.

Almost got T boned at an interesection the other day by a Prius owner with over twenty face masks hanging from the rear view mirror.
The lady's front view was 35% to 60% diminished to her right front side view.

Last Edited:
Preach it. Back in the day I'd baja an OLD Ford Festiva all over. Front wheel drive, light as a feather and the whole bottom was like a sled, it'd skim right over sagebrush and such that'd stop a jacked 4x4.. and it cost $300.
Mine is an 08 Rio. Flat bottom (remarkably clean from brush and grass), FWD and has more than enough power to get me into trouble. Paid $200.
One doesn't display one's battery in a glass case in the home any more either, for the same reasons.
And that's sad. The gun case may not have been the most prominent piece of furniture, but it certainly held a place of honor. It was a showcase.
Lesbians own guns too, you know.
My sister (straight gal) owns a Soob. She calls it her Lesbaru, got the name from her kid.
Gun racks disappeared the same time a handshake meant you gave your word and kept it.
Just like gun racks, there are still people who value that handshake. I've found several here.
Of course.
With that said , I do not consider those who use their firearms for criminal actions as gun owners , I just think of them as criminals.
Andy
I agree! But I think @tac was referring to places where firearms possession may be either illegal or highly regulated.

I agree! But I think @tac was referring to places where firearms possession may be either illegal or highly regulated.
That could be.
To be clear...and possibly get myself into trouble here...
If one were otherwise legal in their life choices....but they kept a certain style of firearm , even after the government said that they couldn't have a firearm of that type...I wouldn't call them a criminal either.

With that said ...I am not saying to do this...I am just saying that I don't think of that action as criminal.
Andy

I guess these days a rifle or scatter gun in a truck rack wouldn't be considered "safe storage" :rolleyes:

Probably considered an "attractive nuisance", like a swimming pool. Or maybe a bait station for criminals enrolled in the catch-and-release program.

because a thin sheet of glass is no protection against theft.

Yup, more than likely the most significant reason for the current lack of being commonly seen.

Folks in this thread have mentioned there rifles stolen while being displayed such, however not common.

At some point non-violent crime overcame most all simple convenience.. Sadly.

No repercussions, hardly, to criminals if caught.

Victims need to replace damage to vehicles & stolen property. Spending time & money (even if insured-premiums\deductibles etc).

I saw an older model truck last Sunday night in Oregon City with two rifles in a rack in the back window. I couldn't make out what they were but it sure brought back memories of my dad's truck with the rifle rack full.

The last time I saw a truck rack with a loaded gun hanging in it was over thirty five years ago.
I was driving to work in the morning on the old Eagle Creek Hwy out of Estacada, when an older Ford farm truck in front of me slammed on the brakes and stopped dead in the road.
The older driver jumped out of his truck with a well used model 94 30/30 and proceeded to lever in a round and take aim up hill into a cow pasture.
One shot later and a large male German Sheppard was dead.
He walked over to my truck and asked if I would help him drag the dead dog down out of the pasture and hang him by his dog collar on a fence post.
I looked over to where the dog was and saw a hind quarter of a dead Hereford calf in it's jaws. It's head and jaws were covered in the calf's blood.
Seems that there was a rash of calf killings in this area and the shooter was a friend and neighbor of the livestock owner.
On my way back home from work, there was a cardboard sign around it's neck stating that it was a calf killer and would the owners stop by and pay for the losses.
The coyotes made short work of the carcass as the owners never bothered to show up.

while I don't have a rear window rack, I do intend to make an 'above the front seats' rack for the Prius. I'll be able to easily store a compact AR variant up there. Due to the height of the car, nobody would ever see it unless you knelt down and looked up but then the tinted windows blocks most of that view. Completely stealth.

When completed, should hold two rifles or possibly one shotgun and one AR pistol. That is a winter project.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top