JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We had rifles in our trucks at High School during hunting season in the late '80s and no one died nor was there a school shooting...then the Karen's took over.
Same here. School also used to close for opening day of elk season. And I used to carry a Buck Folding Hunter on my belt in a leather case and no one ever batted an eye.

I used to have one of those saddle blanket bench seat covers with the pouch in the front that held a rifle. I liked that since it kept the gun hidden and was easier to access when standing next to the open door.

Those also went away when trucks no longer came with bench seats straight across the front.

But I still put the saddle blanket design in my new SUV.

window rack is for overflow, ceiling mount is way less visible

IMG_38511.JPG

Those also went away when trucks no longer came with bench seats straight across the front.

Hope I die before my pickup.:s0112: Front bench seat was one of the short-list requirements the last time I bought a truck [2010]. Others: V-8, auto trans, 4WD, 8' bed. I may be wearing out and falling apart, but I still need a working truck.;)

There were still gun racks on pick-ups in Oregon in the early 1990's. Some guys would go hunting at lunch. This was in Salem, at a public high school of 2000+ kids. Nobody ever got shot either. The worst that ever happened were car accidents from reckless driving.

Sometime around the mid-late 90's the internet came into its own, and every idiot under the sun could say anything they wanted without fear of being punched in the face... Disturbed kids could find each other online and reinforce each other's stupid ideas. Also around this time, network TV turned to the "reality" format.

Nothing has been the same ever since.

Last Edited:
I grew up in the Longview area in the 80's and remember seeing these all over the place. I had a 3 gun rack (that was only really usable for two), and would even have a rifle in it during school so I wouldn't have to head home to get it to go hunting after school. I still have a rack in one of my trucks, but I haven't had time to install one in my new truck yet. It is difficult to find a quality one these days.

Yes, in Wash. gun racks in pickups seem to have disappeared. But not all that recently. They've been mostly gone for some time. Something sticks in my mind that some jurisdictions started writing tickets for carrying rifles in truck gun racks. Maybe this:

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm—Unlawful carrying or handling—Penalty—Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

I've highlighted the last phrase that may apply. "Causing alarm for the safety of other persons." This phrase takes the offense beyond outright brandishing. The word, "display" would encompass a gun stored in a truck rack. You know how people have gotten, some freak out when they see a gun.

For a while, I'd see truck gun racks with fishing poles stored in them. Not for a while now.

I-1639 has come along since, now the safe storage clauses in that law would preclude any intelligent person from so storing a firearm.

For my 4 door P/U I bought a slip over rack. It's two sleeves that slip over the back of the front seats and have loops on the back side for rifles. Even though I only use them for transport, it keeps them off of the floor. Due to the window tint, the rifles cannot be seen from the outside.:)

I really liked that decal of an AR15 in a rack that you could buy a few years ago for your back window. But, they were so real looking, I figured some idiot would break in figuring they could get a rifle. :(

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top