JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I put one in my last truck, a regular cab short bed '92 F150, mostly out of habit... but it rarely got used and went with the truck when l sold it. Turns out that it was a mistake to let it go...
the only gun racks I've seen for sale are those cheap, plastic kind that are supposed to wedge into the rubber around the window.
... finding a replacement for my old steel two-gun rack (to put in my newer truck) has been next to impossible.
Back in the day (80s-90s) in AZ l usually had the typical loadout: a Mossberg 500 and a Marlin 30-30. Sometimes the Marlin-spot would get traded-off for fishing poles.
Not a chance in hell I'd leave that kind of hardware on display now... not even the fishing poles.

Until a couple of years ago I'd have called BS on this, but then I got a little car. It's not AWD, but I use it all of the time and have taken it on the roads of our property, and typically drive it with reckless abandon. I spend very little to drive it compared to that green Ford.
Preach it. Back in the day I'd baja an OLD Ford Festiva all over. Front wheel drive, light as a feather and the whole bottom was like a sled, it'd skim right over sagebrush and such that'd stop a jacked 4x4.. and it cost $300.

We had rifles in our trucks at High School during hunting season in the late '80s and no one died nor was there a school shooting...then the Karen's took over.

The last one I plainly remember was in a college parking lot in 1999-2001ish. It had the campus security cop parked behind it waiting for the student to come out from class and tell him that guns weren't allowed on campus.
I do see them from time to time, but I guess it doesn't stand out to me cause I consider it normal. Fishing rods are a lot more common due to the stigma of having a gun visible.
I still carry a rifle with me during hunting season, but now the gun rests on the back seat, under the hunting pack, under the coat, with a bunch of garbage on the floor and strategically scattered as if to say...."there's nothing to see here....move along"

It's a sign of the times, a look back into yesteryear. These days, if it got stolen and used to murder a bunch of people or to commit a violent crime...guess who's door the cops start knocking on with a full SWAT team.....

General degradation of honorable/moral society. You cant leave that stuff in plain sight and expect it to be there when you come back.
An absolute proof positive that guns aren't the problem!:s0155:

I"m 52 and can still remember showing up at high school and seeing the vehicles with rifles all the time. Especially during hunting season.

Even back when I was in HS (early 70s) I did not leave a gun in the rack of my pickup when I wasn't in the truck (or could not keep an eye on it) - too tempting. Even then there were too many thieves.

Why none now?

1) Gun ownership is socially unacceptable.
2) LEOs and civilians trained to fear guns and their owners as a threat.
3) It was one thing drilling holes in the rear of the cab of a $500 pickup, another thing altogether to drill holes in a $50K pickup.
4) Theft - even an empty gun rack is a signal that there may be guns in the vehicle.

The last one I plainly remember was in a college parking lot in 1999-2001ish. It had the campus security cop parked behind it waiting for the student to come out from class and tell him that guns weren't allowed on campus.
I do see them from time to time, but I guess it doesn't stand out to me cause I consider it normal. Fishing rods are a lot more common due to the stigma of having a gun visible.
I still carry a rifle with me during hunting season, but now the gun rests on the back seat, under the hunting pack, under the coat, with a bunch of garbage on the floor and strategically scattered as if to say...."there's nothing to see here....move along"

It's a sign of the times, a look back into yesteryear. These days, if it got stolen and used to murder a bunch of people or to commit a violent crime...guess who's door the cops start knocking on with a full SWAT team.....
Same thing happened to me in the late 80's. I had an 84 Ford Ranger. I was shooting in the morning and had a 10/22 and a12 ga in the gun rack when I rolled on to campus at East Carolina. I parked and went to class. When I came out there was a campus cop waiting for me. He was pretty decent guy and just made me put the guns in the truck box in the bed of the truck. Up until that point I had noticed lots of trucks on campus with gun racks. I guess that's when they started cracking down on gun owners. It's also when the PC stuff started getting bad there. The ECU Pirates football team mascot was a pirate with a knife in his teeth. They made a big fuss about it and removed the dagger in all the images of the mascot.

Triggered snowflakes and smash-and-grab tweakers. One doesn't want you to have stuff. The other will steal your stuff on a whim.

I've never been one to advertise what I have, be that via gun racks or stickers. After a rash of area gun thefts from vehicles I consider that wise. But, to each their own.

A neighbor down the street had numerous ARFCOM, Oregunian, OFF, AR-15 family, 2A, and III% stickers on his truck. A couple days ago his canopy and cab windows were bashed in by a thief. Any guesses why?

My last pickup ( sold about 6 months ago) had a good metal gun rack in the back window, and it usually held a Marlin 1895 lever and a Remington 870. in highschool, I often drove Dad's Chevy truck which also had a good metal gun rack, but rarely carried guns, instead, it carried fishing rods and hip waders hung from the hooks! These days, I drive a Sprinter with a YUGE rack bolted to the inside roof, mostly for fishing rods, but it's adjustable and could carry long guns if I wanted! :D

I never thought gun racks were a good idea. Besides the risk of theft, why leave a perfectly good gun in a rack exposed to moisture and UV light?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top