JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whether you like it or not, hunters are going to be shooing longer distances at game.
Not to skew the thread, but why do you think this?
Does this refer to some study, whose results were recently released?
Don't mean to annoy, I just find this a curious statement.

Dean

Not to skew the thread, but why do you think this?
Does this refer to some study, whose results were recently released?
Don't mean to annoy, I just find this a curious statement.

Dean

It's been a trend for quite a while. I haven't seen any studies but intuitively, manufacturers are developing more rifles that are designed to shoot at longer ranges. Concurrently, scope and bullet manufacturers are developing products to enhance long distance shooting. CDS, range finding scopes, high BC bullets, not to mention highly accurate factory loads. And more shooters think they can buy their way in. I mean, this is a thousand yard setup, right? That means I can shoot a thousand yards.

No, it doesn't. You might play a pickup game with the same basketball that Steph Curry uses, but that doesn't mean you can hit a jumper from 25 feet.

P

Thank you for clarifying your point.
I can see where you're coming from, but I think the idea may be a bit misguided.
Look @ 2008 and the recession hits. Everyone's out of work and suddenly, the most popular gun on any internet forum is the break action single shot shotgun.....because they're some of the least expensive firearms on the market (or were, anyway). There's also a certain amount of romanticism with break action guns and how they remind us of how things were, once upon a time.
Anyway, given the logic you've presented, all species of game bird must be falling dead from the sky, on the first shot any hunter throws their way, so why own anything more expensive that would offer multiple shots?
...and there are a number of single shots popping out of the wood work, since the demise of H&R in 2015.
Truth is, it's just a marketing ploy based on current trends.
Seems like lots of people these days want to be that sniper sitting way up high in that bell tower, picking off entire platoons of enemy personnel with their chosen weapon system, so the manufacturers are giving them the tools to live out that fantasy (and make a little $$$ doing so, too :s0025: ).
Anyway, off the soapbox and back on subject....what do I use for long range hunting? Well, for starters, I'd use an automobile. "Long range" is a bit far to walk.....:p:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads