JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depending how deep you get into this, records will save a lot of uncertainty. I record each component, case length, overall length, load recipe, number of times fired, etc.

example:

270 Winchester
Brass: Hornady, 1x fired, trim length 2.530
Primer: CCI 200
Bullet: Nosler Partition, 140gr
Powder: H4831, Lot# 107041776-1234, 58gr
COAL: 3.395
Rifle: M70 SN# XXXXXXX

I print that recipe off and put it in the cartridge box. If any component changes, even by lot number, I verify the load is safe and accurate before hunting with it.
Thank you for that layout. I will copy that as it seems excellent

Thank you for that layout. I will copy that as it seems excellent

I just copied the slips that come with cartridge boxes. Kept running out.

Well, sorta. I don't load SAAMI spec ammo for my bolt guns and single shots. I measure each chamber and load ammo for those specs. Each load is tailored for a specific rifle. But, I have a couple rifles that are of the same chambering. So, I identify what rifle its for.

For example, my hunting loads in my M70 30-06 would likely cause damage to an M1 Garand.

Most recent purchase of text on reloading, and the best I've found is "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" by M. L. McPherson , published by DBI Books. Purchased used copy from Amazon for about $14.00. Goes from basics in to details. My recent addition is a Sinclair Concentric gauge, thanks to this text. It helped with improved accuracy. Some good guys on this forum pointed me in the right direction.

Am located in NW Arizona, if you ever want to get together.

Your question in my mind should be "want" instead of "need"
Knowledge is not only power, but key.. If you have the basics, the rest is gravy, and a lot of it highly subject among loaders as to their actual need, some maybe even with dubious benefits. The more you use the stuff you have, the better you can ascertain for yourself whether you actually need the things other folks say you got to have. Unless of course you have money to burn, then that's completely different and I say full speed ahead with at least one of everything:)
For a couple decades I loaded many quality rounds of 45 colt, .270, using only Lee hand loaders. My first and earliest expansion was a triple beam scale which allowed me to start experimenting with powders and loads.
While I've expanded now, and even have a press and full length dies, I have more stuff added being used, than sitting collecting dust, because of experience and knowledge gained during those years. I actually had more reloading manuals (read cover to cover) than equipment before I started upgrading.
$13.99 @ GI Joes (60 years ago)
lee.JPG Plus a homemade wooden mallet.
Just a thought.

Depending how deep you get into this, records will save a lot of uncertainty. I record each component, case length, overall length, load recipe, number of times fired, etc.

example:

270 Winchester
Brass: Hornady, 1x fired, trim length 2.530
Primer: CCI 200
Bullet: Nosler Partition, 140gr
Powder: H4831, Lot# 107041776-1234, 58gr
COAL: 3.395
Rifle: M70 SN# XXXXXXX

I print that recipe off and put it in the cartridge box. If any component changes, even by lot number, I verify the load is safe and accurate before hunting with it.
And then field annotations are always good too.

For bottle neck rounds a gauge> https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101827769?pid=497535 is a good idea. It will tell you alot such as proper length, sizing die needing adjusted etc. before you even prime. they will also let you know if you set the crimp too much after so you dont end up pulling down a batch after returning from the range while shouting expletives........

Also it is somewhat of a good idea to use harder primers (CCI 41 etc.) on 223 if you are using in an AR especially if using dirtier powder or don't clean the bolt as often as should be....look up "slam fire". Not a necessity if properly cleaned and oiled but that's just me.

As mentioned start with the 357/38 it's more forgiving for beginners and it will let you know if reloading is the thing for you before buying a bunch of other items. If you decide it's not your thing that less that you need to get rid of down the road.

Having more than one book is a good idea as well as paying attention to what they list such as notes that certain loads require magnum primers or are compressed loads etc. You will find different loads for the exact same cal./bullet/powder between the different manuals, It depends on what their lawyers allow...........One book may not have a recipe for the components you have but another will but most powder/bullet companies have online info as well to use as another resource. You already know components are scarce right now so it isnt always easy to get the powder or bullet listed in one manual.

Most recent purchase of text on reloading, and the best I've found is "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" by M. L. McPherson , published by DBI Books. Purchased used copy from Amazon for about $14.00. Goes from basics in to details. My recent addition is a Sinclair Concentric gauge, thanks to this text. It helped with improved accuracy. Some good guys on this forum pointed me in the right direction.

Am located in NW Arizona, if you ever want to get together.
Just ordered this book thank you

Any suggestions on brands for above mentioned equipment??

I have such a hodgepodge of reloading stuff. I have a Lyman trimmer, RCBS shell holders, mostly Redding and RCBS dies, Frankfort Arsenal bullet puller and calipers, Hornady dry case cleaner, RCBS Trim Mate, RCBS Chargemaster, Hornady Lock'n'Load chamber measuring tool, etc.. Just check reviews and watch a few youtube videos.

Any suggestions on brands for above mentioned equipment??

Over a short period of time I picked up used off the board for some of the accoutrements need for reloading. Calipers I had. anyone that does much mechanical messing around should have some. Harbor Freight variety I believe. Non-digital.
Case trimmer is and older RCBS that I got for a song. From a board member. New cutter head and needed pilots from Bimart/online.
Shell holders, at this point, probably online is the simple way, for common calibers anyway. You might find some common at Cabela's, Sportsman's etc.
Dies: I started with used. Came to appreciate new. Sometimes well used dies scratch brass slightly. Doesn't hurt it. I just got picky. Horandy is my preferred brand. I like the lock rings. If you end up buying Lee dies you'll get sick of the rubber o-ring locking rings and end up buying Hornady locking rings for them anyway. Lee dies are fine though.
Bullet puller: I've just got that green hammer kinetic puller. It's works okay. The idea is to not mess-up and need to pull a BUNCH of bullets. I've not had that problem. Yet. Eventually I think a person may want a "Collet Bullet Puller".
"Bullet cleaner": When I started I found one from a board member. A Cabela's brand. It's still going strong. Walnut media can be had cheap(er) as lizard bedding at pet shops. So I hear. I bought a butt-load when I started, not knowing how much it took. Got another 10 years worth left! :D
Cartridge boxes come from the cartridges you buy new and then shoot yourself! I used to scrounge through the garbage can at the range for boxes too. Order labels on-line and paste over the flap on the box or across the top with your load info. After awhile you'll start buying more $1.99-$2.99 plastic boxes and throwing away the scrounged boxes.

As you go along you can start to upgrade stuff to new and mo' betta' then sell you're old stuff to noobs just starting out.

Over a short period of time I picked up used off the board for some of the accoutrements need for reloading. Calipers I had. anyone that does much mechanical messing around should have some. Harbor Freight variety I believe. Non-digital.
Case trimmer is and older RCBS that I got for a song. From a board member. New cutter head and needed pilots from Bimart/online.
Shell holders, at this point, probably online is the simple way, for common calibers anyway. You might find some common at Cabela's, Sportsman's etc.
Dies: I started with used. Came to appreciate new. Sometimes well used dies scratch brass slightly. Doesn't hurt it. I just got picky. Horandy is my preferred brand. I like the lock rings. If you end up buying Lee dies you'll get sick of the rubber o-ring locking rings and end up buying Hornady locking rings for them anyway. Lee dies are fine though.
Bullet puller: I've just got that green hammer kinetic puller. It's works okay. The idea is to not mess-up and need to pull a BUNCH of bullets. I've not had that problem. Yet. Eventually I think a person may want a "Collet Bullet Puller".
"Bullet cleaner": When I started I found one from a board member. A Cabela's brand. It's still going strong. Walnut media can be had cheap(er) as lizard bedding at pet shops. So I hear. I bought a butt-load when I started, not knowing how much it took. Got another 10 years worth left! :D
Cartridge boxes come from the cartridges you buy new and then shoot yourself! I used to scrounge through the garbage can at the range for boxes too. Order labels on-line and paste over the flap on the box or across the top with your load info. After awhile you'll start buying more $1.99-$2.99 plastic boxes and throwing away the scrounged boxes.

As you go along you can start to upgrade stuff to new and mo' betta' then sell you're old stuff to noobs just starting out.
Thank you for the well thought out reply. I'm very excited to start

Thank you for the well thought out reply. I'm very excited to start

Something I completely forgot to mention in my post above. At the time, Dec 2011, I bought the RCBS Supreme Master Reloading Kit. A black Friday thing at the time, $249.00.

Something I completely forgot to mention in my post above. At the time, Dec 2011, I bought the RCBS Supreme Master Reloading Kit. A black Friday thing at the time, $249.00.

I paid $380.....but I'm happy cause there been oos for a while

In hindsight I wish I had gone with one of the shorter Ultramounts, but overall I'm very happy with my purchases!

I definitely see the draw to a quick release mount setup, but my press isn't leaving the bench anytime soon, so I just changed the stack of wood I bolted her through.

My 3d printer has been borked for about 2 months now, but the parts are finally supposed to arrive tomorrow, hoping I might be able to design a ergo handle that threads on that I can print (and reprint until it feels "just right")

Sorry if I missed it in the comments, but I would add an overall length gauge and cartridge specific modified cases. Definitely get a journal/logbook.

Also, RCBS/Redding both have really good informational vidoes on their websites. I don't know about you, but I'm a visual learner. Some things make more sense if you show me, rather than tell me or have me read it.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads