JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Reload Kit. Obviously it's a beginner kit. So what else do I need?

I've gotten die sets and shell holders for the calibers I want to reload besides 9mm. Looking to reload .357 Magnum, 6.5 Gredell, and 5.56....eventually I'll do 9mm but have plenty to shoot for now.....

With all due respect you need to begin by sitting down and reading the manual that came with the kit - several times - and in a quiet place where you can 'digest' the information.
Im not talking powder or bullets. I'm taking like swagger tool or bullet puller or primer press....

I'm taking like swagger tool or bullet puller or primer press....
Those are issues you may not necessarily need to deal with immediately and will most likely be covered in your manual and not something you can just get answered by posts to your question.

Once you get a good understanding of the basics then asking questions about specifics of reloading is understandable - but please crack the manual and read it cover to cover.

If you are new to reloading, I'd also suggest focusing on reloading one caliber to start. I'd also suggest finding a mentor who can help you get started with learning the steps to reloading. I'm not being overly dramatic, but when you first start out, you can make what may seem to be a minor mistake that could lead to disastrous results.

Dont get me wrong, reloading is a fun and rewarding hobby. Also this forum is chock-full of experienced reloaders, so you're first inclination to ask for advice is to be applauded.

Im not talking powder or bullets. I'm taking like swagger tool or bullet puller or primer press....

I have not read that book, but most of them are loading manuals. They give step by step instructions on how to load.

I know that is not quite what you are hoping to hear. Your kit has what you need to get started. Most of the other stuff is for specific need, convenience or speed.

Did a full on manual come with the kit? If not there is value in getting one or even two so that you really see all elements from different perspectives.

I've helped many to learn to load, and the first thing I recommend is a full read iver the instruction portion of a good manual

As @robertvarner states, a mentor is and incredibly valuable thing, that will save you time, money and grief!

Where exactly are you located? I'm sure there us someone close that would lend a hand.

Did a full on manual come with the kit? If not there is value in getting one or even two so that you really see all elements from different perspectives.

I've helped many to learn to load, and the first thing I recommend is a full read iver the instruction portion of a good manual

As @robertvarner states, a mentor is and incredibly valuable thing, that will save you time, money and grief!

Where exactly are you located? I'm sure there us someone close that would lend a hand.
Came with Nosler manual

To be more concrete, you will need a good tumbler and fresh media. Really great tools include the RCBS case prep machine that camfers mouths and cleans primer pockets. (Did I mention read a good manual or two?) Also, an RCBS digital powder dispenser is good. The Nosler manual is quite good. The above mention about connecting with an experienced mentor is invaluable. Good luck. Be vigilant. Only have one can of powder on your bench at a time. Never hesitate to ask questions on NWFA about re-loading. There is hundreds of years of experience here. Reloading becomes an end unto itself! Enjoy.

If you are new to reloading, I'd also suggest focusing on reloading one caliber to start.
I agree to start with one caliber. The 357/38 straight wall pistol calibers would be a good place to start.
You have everything you need for 38/357. More steps required for bottle neck rifle calibers. For instance
you will need a trimmer for rifle and swager if using boxer primed 556 brass.;) Welcome to the club.
I started reloading 38/357 on a RCBS Rock Chucker in 1978. :D I have never trimmed a piece of pistol
brass in my life. I now load several thousand of pistol and rifle calibers a year with my Dillon.

When you've figured out that you can make ammo, but its tedious, buy the stuff in post #11.

If loading rifle ammo, I tend to buy or look at a few different manuals since they'll all be a bit different. DO NOT assume you can use cup and core data on monolithics like Barnes TTSX or Nosler E-Tips! Monolithics are longer (more bearing surface) than their weight would suggest and their data is different than jacketed lead.

You might eventually want to consider some of the upgrades available trough Inline Fabrication. I outfitted my Rockchucker Supreme with the Ultramount, Ergo Roller Handle, Spent Primer Catch System, and Case Eject system all pictured here:
1608956308770.png

Last Edited:
Started with the same kit in the 80's and straight walled handgun cases. I had a book, believe an old version of the ABC's of Reloading which I think I read five times. Here is another tip that you don't hear much about. With reloading manuals...the other articles provide tremendous insight. I personally believe a deep understanding is necessary for safe reloading. Reading material like this helps this (at lease with me it did).

Here are a few early items I found helpful. Correct sized loading trays, weight check kit for the scale (if not included), bullet puller, cartridge gauge (or calipers). When moving to rifle calibers case trimmer, calipers, case gauges, stuck case remover. Lots of other "stuff" has found their way into my cabinets but this provided me with a good foundation. And reloading guides, lots of reloading guides.

A year before I bought my kit I purchased 4 reloading manuals. Read them over and over for months then poured over the internet watching videos and articles. Then I would reread the manuals while feathering in more videos, forums and articles. I was then able to speak the language and understand what terms really meant in the reloading world.

The kit was ordered from midway and I bought the dies for most of my rifle calibers. I did mainly start with my .270 wsm the first year, but was soon reloading 30/30, .280, .243 and 6.5 creed down the road. Been prepping cases recently for 300 savage, but haven't started a load work up yet.

If you have the money I'll highly recommend the rcbs digital scale/dispenser combo. It really speeds up the process and honestly trickles stick powders well. I prefer digital calipers, but whatever you get spend to get a good pair. At some point your going to want the gauges to measure your chambers and the tools to measure OAL of your loads accurately as you'll find minor inconsistentsies in poly tipped bullets as one example. Then you'll want a chronograph at some point, maybe an annealer, maybe a nicer case prep setup, etc ...

Hope you found the components to work with as this has become another problem again. Driving a lb can of 4350 to a buddy in Astoria that is desperate in a couple days and sold a couple sleeves of mag primers to another buddy a month ago. Tough times to pick up reloading, but it is what it is.

A visit to Rosie's shed is a must...

Jonny is probably the most valuable video resource I've found online... he is extremely thorough and and has been my go to for 300 blackout sub sonic, and Mk262 clone loading....but unlike the above ... you won't be able to find a bunch of risqué pictures of him floating around the net.
/

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top