JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Going to branch into reloading for large rifles this spring. Mostly 30-06 and 7mm. Figure close to 200 or so rounds a year.
I have a good ohaus beam scale but am disinclined to use it for every round of rifle bullet. I use it all the time to check weights. But for every round? It would stress my eyes too much. My prescriptions change all the time on my glasses.

Looking for something that lives up to the claim of 0.1gr variance and is easy to use and keeps it simple. Will be shooting at 200 yards.

Thinking i want to stay away from a electric scale without dispenser. Heard they can be finicky when trickling the last couple grains. However, if you can convince me otherwise, please do. I don't have a clue and never used one.

So thinking of a RCBS chargemaster dispenser and scale. They seem to have a good reputation and been around awhile. I would consider the hornady but reviews aren't as good and they stopped the "Get Loaded" rebate for 2021.

So what route would you go for $350?

Dispenser and scale for that $$ amount, I'd go with the RCBS charge master. I've used the hornady lock and load, but it can be a little finicky at times with the extruded powder even with the McDonalds straw mod.

Am I wrong in thinking that 0.1gr is a wide tolerance? My old Hollywood Gun Shop thrower and a 5-0-5 can hold a lot better than that!

Does.it have to be an all in 1 unit? Ohaus makes some pretty epic scales, I've used ones sensitive end to measure the force from the air displaced by you hand nearby. A good thrower should be able to hold an awesome consistency.

Am I wrong in thinking that 0.1gr is a wide tolerance? My old Hollywood Gun Shop thrower and a 5-0-5 can hold a lot better than that!

Does.it have to be an all in 1 unit? Ohaus makes some pretty epic scales, I've used ones sensitive end to measure the force from the air displaced by you hand nearby. A good thrower should be able to hold an awesome consistency.

Standard variance on most electronic scales for reloading are +/- 0.1 grains. Some are better than others at meeting it. RCBS is one of the better ones with the chargemaster. I checked 1 ohaus electonic on amazon. For $296 it promises a variance .01 grams. 15 grains to the gram so a .15 grain variance. It is possible to get better scales, but price doubles.

With that said, I have no problem with hand throwing and trickling the last bit. Most of those don't do well in adding small amounts trickling at the end to pick up the last bit of weight from what I have read. If I could find one that doesnt have that issue, I would consider it if it was more accurate for $350 or less.

I'd venture to guess a majority of the time that's close enough for most people's requirements. Some might even argue most can't shoot well enough to see a difference downrange of +/- 0.1gr

My load work ups for .223 are usually done in 0.3gr increments. Large caliber in 0.5gr increments, then fine tune from there. Once you're in the middle of an accuracy node, I doubt 0.1gr is going to throw you off the node. It's also why I prefer the more temperature stable powders so temperature swings are less likely to throw you off.

Now, it really depends on the reloader and what they expect. For me, I try to get It to +/- .02gr or less variance per charge. Can't say it makes a difference downrange, but it certainly makes me feel more confident in my loads.

I was gifted an RCBS combo last year, Thank you Jim!!!!:s0005:
I use it exclusively when loading ladder test rounds, it's so east to set it for a different rifle and pistol charge weights than fiddling with trial and error on the press powder drop...

1C7B9F3A-85BE-42BD-AC56-08C1B52C7DD3.jpeg
Like others have said, extruded powders are best left with a hand trickler.
A0CF37A1-72F4-4E10-8552-00DBD2976850.jpeg

I'd venture to guess a majority of the time that's close enough for most people's requirements. Some might even argue most can't shoot well enough to see a difference downrange of +/- 0.1gr

My load work ups for .223 are usually done in 0.3gr increments. Large caliber in 0.5gr increments, then fine tune from there. Once you're in the middle of an accuracy node, I doubt 0.1gr is going to throw you off the node. It's also why I prefer the more temperature stable powders so temperature swings are less likely to throw you off.

Now, it really depends on the reloader and what they expect. For me, I try to get It to +/- .02gr or less variance per charge. Can't say it makes a difference downrange, but it certainly makes me feel more confident in my loads.
Makes sense. I must just be a little anal about things. I'm with you, less variance is better.

Another vote for the Frankford Arsenal unit. Got mine last year, and I use it for all my precision loading. For load workups, I'll check weigh every charge on my beam scale, most are dead on, but once I find my load, +/- .1 gr. isn't enough to make a difference FOR ME, YMMV. It does especially well with extruded powders, I gave up on Varget because it's such a PITA in a powder measure, but this thing never misses a beat. You might hold off a little while, though, there's supposed to be a new model out soon.

For range ammo in my pistols and Mini 14, I switch to my Hornady powder measure and check every 10th charge or so, just in the interest of time. I happen to like my Hornady better than my RCBS Uni-flow, it seems more consistent, and the quick drain feature makes it easy to switch powders, or empty the measure when I'm done (like you're supposed too :rolleyes:). Guess I need to add, I do all my loading on single stage presses, a LEE APP for pistols, and a Rockchucker for the rifles. Later.

Dave

Slowing down in my old age but for many years 200 rounds a year was a miniscule amount for me and then with Lee hand loader dies. I've use electronic scales a lot in past work engineering environments so are very use to them but like a watch, (for me) the analog scales compute better, and faster, in my mind when visualizing and deciding good or bad or which side of the line you are on.
Electronics can have their drawbacks. (temperature sensitivity, air current or drafts, power requirements, and some even more sensitive to level issues than analog.) A good balance beam with magnetic dampening work fast enough for 200 rounds a year, and even thousands. You can bet the big boys aren't weighing every round and their stuff today can be considered Match stuff compared to when I first started loading.
If you are competition bench resting, then measuring each and every round along with many other quality control checks that must be performed is most prudent, but if you are paper punching or even hunting, get a good drop charger, mount it securely, find a powder it likes, learn to manipulate it consistently, and check weight every ten rounds or so. It will cost you way less, blow the doors off the electronics route and unlikely to tell the difference.

Slowing down in my old age but for many years 200 rounds a year was a miniscule amount for me and then with Lee hand loader dies. I've use electronic scales a lot in past work engineering environments so are very use to them but like a watch, (for me) the analog scales compute better, and faster, in my mind when visualizing and deciding good or bad or which side of the line you are on.
Electronics can have their drawbacks. (temperature sensitivity, air current or drafts, power requirements, and some even more sensitive to level issues than analog.) A good balance beam with magnetic dampening work fast enough for 200 rounds a year, and even thousands. You can bet the big boys aren't weighing every round and their stuff today can be considered Match stuff compared to when I first started loading.
If you are competition bench resting, then measuring each and every round along with many other quality control checks that must be performed is most prudent, but if you are paper punching or even hunting, get a good drop charger, mount it securely, find a powder it likes, learn to manipulate it consistently, and check weight every ten rounds or so. It will cost you way less, blow the doors off the electronics route and unlikely to tell the difference.

You make a good point about digital vs analog. Much of the equipment I work with must warm up to a stable operating temperature before it is accurate enough to rely on.

I run my 505 and check my dillon every 25-50 rounds along with measure OAL on every 50 or so.

I like my current digital scale. it was expensive.

From working my way up to a higher priced digital scale, I have learned you get what you pay for. Inexpensive scales sometimes use batteries, if the battery has losses enough voltage, accuracy will be effected. Inexpensive scales use inexpensive plastic springs which lose their proper tension over time. There is a reason why Dillon and RCBS do not give a life time warranty on their low budget digital scales.

Always keep a balance beam scale on hand for checking a digital scale.

Cell phones and fluorescent lights on the same 110v circuit can effect digital scales.

I think you should expect to spend 75.00 plus for a decent scale.

If your digital scales starts to shift weights while a charge is the pan for say 10 seconds, something is wrong.

Google up issues with digital powder scales.

Thanks for all the replies. Gave me a lot to think about. Prbly too much. So I am holding off til I actually try some on my ohaus 10-10. Do need to build a platform and get it up to a better eye level though. I also have a spare powder drop I can mount to it or just use some Lee powder dippers. Still not looking forward to trying to stare and count the damn little lines, but got to do it anyway when I set it up for checks. So may as well see how it goes if that is all i use.

Also....
1. I am cheap SOB and it takes a lot to pry open my wallet to just make life easy on me.
2. Purchased without enough research before and had to purchase different things i liked better. Which aggravates number 1.

Thanks for all the replies. Gave me a lot to think about. Prbly too much. So I am holding off til I actually try some on my ohaus 10-10. Do need to build a platform and get it up to a better eye level though. I also have a spare powder drop I can mount to it or just use some Lee powder dippers. Still not looking forward to trying to stare and count the damn little lines, but got to do it anyway when I set it up for checks. So may as well see how it goes if that is all i use.

Also....
1. I am cheap SOB and it takes a lot to pry open my wallet to just make life easy on me.
2. Purchased without enough research before and had to purchase different things i liked better. Which aggravates number 1.

I went in stages of construction in "The Room" with my scale placement, I built a simple design to get it off the benchtop. Noticed that my digital scale is always on the bench close to the press.
5A96811D-27A5-400C-B6AB-265420517AF3.jpeg

Then the plan for optimal viewing materialized with cabinets. It's just right now, sitting or standing. ;)
ED97DE7B-D915-4ED5-AA51-9CA2D976DCA9.jpeg

Last Edited:
Check out US Solid for lab grade scales. I bought one a year ago. Much more consistent than anything made for firearms. None of them have dispensing capabilities, but they are hands down more accurate than anything I've used from the reloading companies.

200 rounds is all? Knowing the stairstep nature of digital scale readings, I will stick with analog, as it is simply more precise. It is so satisfying to trickle kernel by kernel until the beam lines up exactly.

Why not get your eyes fixed? Everything was blurry until I had the chemo/steroids/age cataracts removed and new interocular lenses installed. Except for reading, no more glasses, colors are correct now and no prescription changes. That all cost a bit more than $350 though. But, insurance won't buy any type of reloading equipment.

As they say, you can't see what you're missing.

Check out US Solid for lab grade scales. I bought one a year ago. Much more consistent than anything made for firearms. None of them have dispensing capabilities, but they are hands down more accurate than anything I've used from the reloading companies.
Dang you. One of those, a Raspberry Pi, and the collection of hardware I have.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top