JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed this tool mark on my new Colt revolver. I thought it was just a scratch but I notice now that it appears to be on all the pics I see of this gun on the internet. Sometimes it is more of a punch mark but usually it is just like this one. Anyone have any idea why it is there?

toolmark.jpg

Possibly a hardness test mark? Old Winchesters often had a mark--looked almost like a center punch mark--on the side of the receiver. It was from the ball on a Rockwell hardness tester.

Any dimple from Brinell or rockwell testing would be a clean center punch looking mark nothing like that. I would assume it was a mark from a tool slipping like soemthing used to put a spring in place during final assembly.

It turns out that the people who guessed it is a proof or inspection mark are correct. There should be a mark right where this one is that indicates who assembled it. It should be a number 1-3 (a friends has a 3 there) and this one just happens to be a number 1.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top