Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What does one need to ask for when buying?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Richard Collins, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Richard Collins

Richard Collins Greater SW WA Member

I understand why sellers want to see id, but buyers want to know they are not buying from a felon also. What is normal to ask for?

2. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Just like anything else, you want to avoid something that was stolen or used in a crime etc.. The level of protection is up to you. ID?, Bill of sale copy?, there is also a stolen data base phone number for guns I believe that someone will probably post here pretty soon.

Many here would resent a check like that on what they are selling and I respect that.
    I would be more of the play it safe type myself though. Don't want to end up with a hot potato!:cool:

Richard Collins likes this.
  3. Richard Collins

Thanks OLDNEWBIE, I appreciate that

4. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I would be perfectly happy to let a buyer check SN to his hearts content. I would find it a bit odd if someone wanted credentials to buy from me though. I have sold many guns, No one has ever wanted a background check on me prior to handing me cash. Seems weird.

However If I-594 passes you will have no transaction without a FFL involved so.....

5. Richard Collins

Monstermetal, I appreciate your response.

It may seem weird to you, since you have sold many guns, but I don't know anything about you. But would you buy from me, not knowing anything about me? Its not weird, its a valid question.

6. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I don't think it's bad to ask or call only time I get suspicious is when someone is buying from me and won't show ID or do a bill of sale.
    Red flags.

I usually get peoples plate numbers, phone numbers and keep their usernames etc on file for about a year. Then toss it.

Richard Collins likes this.
  7. Richard Collins

Sure I got that, clearconscience, but what about when you're buying from someone you don't know? I think at this point I know what to ask for now. Thank you.

8. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

You dont know me and I dont know you. However what is important is this singular transaction. I dont have to know you to buy something from you. Heck, just about everything I buy I buy from someone I dont know.

If you seem knowledgeable, articulate and trustworthy and are willing to show your drivers license and fill out a bill of sale then I am comfortable selling you a gun. I would figure it would go the other way just as well. I have never run into someone that I did not want to buy from (although I have walked away from someone who wanted to buy from me because something was not right)

I guess in the end what is important is you feel good about it.

9. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

You could always use an FFL when you are purchasing. As long as you are paying for the FFL transfer fee it gives you you piece of mind for that extra ~$30. Im sure a seller would not mind meeting with you at a gun store as long as it isnt costing them any extra.

IronMonster likes this.
  10. OLDNEWBIE

When buying, the problem for you is when you go to sell. What If it's a hot gun and no receipt? The guy you bought it from might not be the one who stole it either.
    I've got some guns passed down to me that came from my grandpa. He traded guns like people trade baseball cards so who knows their history. Everyone involved is probably dead now anyway:eek:

11. YoungBlood

YoungBlood SW Washington Active Member

I'm probably missing something, but if you bought from a felon are you the one commiting a crime, or would the law go after the felon for posessing the weapon? Dont mean to hijack but it may pertain to your question...

12. OLDNEWBIE

13. OLDNEWBIE

If you are unaware he is a Felon I would think it's not your problem but I think logically and gun laws are not logical.
    Either way if the gun is hot you are out the money!

14. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Bill of sale, both ways, with ID listed. Check his feedback if on this site. Don't get pizzy when someone asks for ID be you seller or buyer!

Caveman Jim, blackadder and U201491 like this.
  15. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

100% agree. Get all the ID you can from a seller or a buyer and offer up the same to them.
    There is a bill of sale here that works quite well. Fill out all that for each party and each party
    gets a copy and you are fairly well protected.
    Here is a copy I downloaded from NWF somewhere. Use it all the time.
    Good gun owners police and protect themselves.
    Also trust your instincts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    protocol, Sgt Nambu and blackadder like this.
  16. Richard Collins

It sounds like a bill of sale and ID exchanged is a good way for both parties, both are then covered from a previous or a post sale illegal incident. Thanks everyone, this has really helped. And thanks to Taku for the form.

And in WA i can buy from another WA resident without any registration paperwork whatsoever, correct?

17. locotonyf

locotonyf Texas New Member

You can't know everything. You probably just won't be the buyer. I've never sold a gun privately that didn't have more than one interested party. If it worries you that much, just buy from dealers only.

18. Richard Collins

I'd like to close the thread but can't figure out how. I'll just unwatch from here on out, thanks everyone

19. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've had a couple people trip on me for not wanting/giving bills of sales. Some guys seem to think this stuff is way more intense and dangerous than it is. I don't think I've yet had anyone back out of a sale, though.

I might want to poke my head into the history of a gun some gang-banger tried to sell me on the street (only happens in the movies), but it's not like I'm not VERY easily findable, if anything ever turned out to be amiss. For bubblegums sake, I've been a member here for half a decade and use my real name.

20. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You're too boring to actually go look for. ;)