Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What does one do with spent steel casings?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by raftman, Dec 25, 2009.

1. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I tend to shoot at a lot of steel-cased ammo, it's cheap and available after all, and I definitely make a habit of cleaning up after myself and can't stand it when I find a shooting spot where someone clearly hasn't done the same. Frankly, I am even a little scared to shoot in that sort of setting because to me, one can infer something about an individual who blasts up a car battery and leaves it there; guns and irresponsibility don't mix. Besides, one way to lose public access to a shooting spot, is to leave messes.

That said, say I fire 200 rounds of steel-cased ammo, while picking it all up isn't a problem, my question is, what do I do with it afterwards? It's not reloadable so I can't learn to make use of it, or pass it on to someone who can. I've just been letting it collect to larger and larger quantities while pondering the question. I don't feel like throwing in the garbage since it will end up in the dump and it's not biodegradable. Do I put it in the recycling like one would with tin cans? Can/will they recycle it? Do I come up with some sort of arts/crafts hobby?

2. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I have called and asked about recycling other small steel items and they said that it is fine.

Other than that, how about this?

Bullet-Proof-Vest-Poster-Sm_op_410x600.jpg

3. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

Steel cases are biodegradable and will rust away on the ground or in the landfill. Most regional landfills are for profit private companies that creat jobs and will be happy to handle the waste. Getting enough together to be worth more than the fuel to take them to the recycler would take a long time. Don't really need to be to concerned about this.