JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im thinking, since Im a criminal justice major, and there are plenty of job openings on craigslist, I would like to get into the world of armed security guard work, as my first entry level job into criminal justice.

Heres the deal, Im a bit of a candy ***, and need some training in proper use of my firearm. There is a gun store with a firing range about 3 miles from me, so they might have classes. Otherwise there is one in the city that has classes.

A local bank is hiring armed security work, Id be a little concerned since so far St. Louis has had 60 bank robberies, and some of them are with a firearm or threat of having a firearm in the note passed to the teller, county wide, but was wondering what do they teach you in a firearms training class?

For now I need training and a holster so I can apply. Also was thinking of getting some money after working for a few months so I can buy a FiveseveN with a 30 round magazine so I can legitimately have the upper hand if there is an armed robbery while performing the work.

I own a Beretta M9 with LG402 CTC grips, I also own 800 rounds consisting of both JHP's and FMJ's.

join the military get some knowledge of security and firearms then get your collage payed for most of the armed security will take a vet right off the back plus who would turn down free collage? since im a vet i get collage payed for and get payed 1200 for rent and housing expenses i already talked to some of the security companys in the area and they all reply quick asking for more info on when i could come in but the only thing is most of the security companys start you in 11 an hour and another thing is security has lots of different hours so you want to make sure it fits in with your school good luck take care happy holidays

well 4 year enlistment would be a tall order just to get a job for security work. I can believe they would take a veteran because they have had firearms training, as well as other forms of training, but what should a civilian such as myself do? I have the criminal justice background, but they dont train you with a firearm as part of the college course work (which they really should, since a lot of graduates will have to carry one as part of their job).

Also as far the military goes, I would hate to be a 26 year old private with the same rank as 18 year olds, and I would need to go on a diet and quit smoking to keep up with the cardio required of new recruits. Its not impossible, but it would take months of preperation before I could even consider it and by that time my unemployment will have long since run out.

Armed Security Guard Training in Missouri | Security Guard Training - Your Security Guard Training Resource

Basic Requirements for an Armed Security Guard in Missouri:

Must be at least 21 years old
United States citizen or registered resident alien
Successfully passing a background check which may include drug testing
Missouri state driver's License
Good physical conditioning
No mental instability
No drug use or dependency
No acts of fraud or convictions

I had a bad two and a half years where I had been mentally ill, but we saw a doctor and put me on risperdol (anti-psychotic) and prozac (anti-depressant). I am wondering if because I did have a mental illness, but nothing that caused me to get caught up in the criminal justice system or have court mandated treatment, if I might not qualify for armed security guard. I must say that since I take those medicines on a regular basis Im pretty level headed and a clear, concise, thinker.

They also qualify as drugs, but they aren't the type that you would abuse. I can pass a drug test no problem. I drink alcohol on a pretty regular basis but never on the job.
My physical conditioning could use some work.
I have a drivers license and a reliable form of transportation (a miata :p)

Also I had a DWI, but I think that was suspended imposition of sentence in that I completed my probation, and as long as I don't get anymore it won't count as a conviction.

Haven't had so much as a traffic ticket in almost 3 years.

What do you guys think? Some of you are probably more familiar with this line of work. I really hope I could qualify, because my whole major that I am almost finished with is based around passing these types of background checks.

Why not trying to set up an appointment to see what they are thinking.
Better than guessing or asking people who do nto have a clue what the criteria is in Missouri
+1

OP, we are mostly from the NW and that's what we mostly know about. I pasted a link below to one of Oregon's best (if not the best) training facility. They describe their different training classes in detail, and while, you may not be motivate to travel over 1000 miles West, you can use this info as a baseline/benchmark of what to expect from a reputable training provider.
Oregon Firearms Academy LLC - Handgun Courses

get on that physical conditioning if you want to be a rent a cop or anything of the sort most people do run when they know they are doin something wrong or make sure your quick with a radio to call for back up usually you cant shoot people cuz they run

I was just figuring if I got some training to see if I liked it. Never had a job that involved guns or running, so Id start small. Ill see about quitting both cigarettes and alcohol.

Sorry for being honest, I wasn't trying to troll, just laying out my shortcomings.

Upon leaving college though, I was thinking of becoming a case-worker since there is more room to move up in the prison system than Probation and Parole, and I wasn't sure if I could join police without a military background and have never had a background check.

What does firearms training consist of?

For now I need training and a holster so I can apply. Also was thinking of getting some money after working for a few months so I can buy a FiveseveN with a 30 round magazine so I can legitimately have the upper hand if there is an armed robbery while performing the work.

Knowing why that is a very ridiculous comment..............

That is not a bash by any means. But you need to do lots more reading, research and asking questions. When you learn you will understand my comment above.

Also nice pistol and I am sure you are just sharing but there are many folks on here that have more then that in their car on a daily basis. Most here if down to only 800 rounds would be feeling very low on ammo.

I cant afford to shoot very often so its a lot to me. Booth rental is $18, I havent fired my weapon since april of last year. Also being unemployed does not help afford the activity of shooting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top