JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Truth be known it really doesn't matter what is used to lube your gun(s) as long as it (or they) get lube. I've used corn and olive oil in the past and will in the future. Both work just fine.

As others have said the fumes and/or aroma should be a big deciding factor in deciding which lube to use. Keep in mind when you fire said weapon all that lube is disbursed in a fine mist. Since you fired the gun then you will most likely be breathing whatever you lubed it with as well.

I've used a variety of things, and have heard of people using a variety of things such as WD-40, CLP, Mobil 1, Ed's Red, etc.

I've heard mixed things about WD-40 and Mobil 1, not to mention Ed's Red. I've heard that they can gum up your gun (WD-40), or that they lube well but don't clean or protect against rust very well (Mobil 1) and that some of the ingredients in Ed's Red are harmful to polymer guns.

I like the all in one solutions personally, as I don't have to carry around 3 seperate things to clean a gun in a pinch. Just one item that does it all (CLP) is nice.

But I'm curious to know what you use...

Wasn't WD-40 originally created to be a degreaser? I've used it to clean oil and grease off of car parts before and it works really well at doing that. I never considered using it on my guns.

I'm glad you brought up this topic. I too was curious to see what others use and recommend.:s0155: I just haven't gotten around to bringing it up yet.

I'm not so sure about using Ed's Red on guns with polymer components. Also, I'm not so sure that things like home brew or Mobil 1 are IDEAL for a gun. Sure, they will work in a pinch, but long term? I equate it to using CLP as engine oil and vice versa. Sure, your car may run OK on it for a while, but it's not forumated for your car. In the same way, your gun may work OK with engine oil, but it's not formualted for the conditions a gun faces. Although in some ways it's facing conditions far worse than a gun faces lol

I've always used Hoppe #9 for cleaning. Dad used to use it too and it brings back fond post-camping trip memories when he'd clean the weapons at the end of the evening.

Typically, I'll quickly squirt stuff down with just a little bit of Gun Scrubber spray to knock the loose stuff off. Then do scrubbing / bore cleaning with Hoppe #9 and try and work it into all the nooks and crannies. When that's mostly clean, I'll give another squire of Gun Scrubber. When things are dry, they get a rub down with one of those silicone impregnated gun cloths (trying not to leave residue from my fingers behind) and then lightly lubed with a CPL or whatever I have on hand with the action being worked several times to make sure the lube gets dispersed well.

It has been a while since my last posting but this thread I can say something new to...
Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner works excellent!
G96 love the smell of the old g96 can't find it anymore.
kroil still the best for penetrating rusted up things.
Tetra and others...

Wasn't WD-40 originally created to be a degreaser? I've used it to clean oil and grease off of car parts before and it works really well at doing that. I never considered using it on my guns.

I'm glad you brought up this topic. I too was curious to see what others use and recommend.:s0155: I just haven't gotten around to bringing it up yet.

Actually WD-40 was not developed as a degreaser. It was Water Displacement version #40.
From Wiki:
WD-40, abbreviated from the phrase "Water Displacement, 40th formula,"[1] was originally designed to repel water and prevent corrosion,[2] and later was found to have numerous household uses. Larsen was attempting to create a formula to prevent corrosion in nuclear missiles, by displacing the standing water that causes it. He claims he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top