JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The idea of a bolt action .22LR with an integral suppressor has me enamored as of late...so I've stumbled into CZ's integral suppressor. I absolutely loved my 457 while I had it, so it's a compelling purchase. But, it'd also be my first suppressor. What are your thoughts of this vs a can or around integral suppressors in general? Given that a Form 4 is what, 10 months now? I'm looking to be a bit more sure of this purchase.
I got my first can as a pinned and welded on an AR upper, to avoid a second stamp for the SBR. I like it a lot. Not technically an integral but it has most of the characteristics of one. For my next one I'm considering one of the 10/22 integrated barrels but I want one in a 1:9 twist to shoot the 60 gr subsonics from.

Aside from cleaning a rimfire suppressor (which is an issue, regardless of what you buy), using an integrally suppressed barrel on a semiautomatic firearm pretty much requires the use of high velocity ammunition, to ensure proper cycling of the action.
Can you elaborate why? I shoot subsonic just fine in my AR - feels like some important caveats might apply?

Can you elaborate why? I shoot subsonic just fine in my AR - feels like some important caveats might apply?

Not all guns and not all ammo are created equal.

I have yet find a SS round that functions reliably in my AR I did find that CCI SV stays subsonic and functions my gun, but now there is none to be found, at least not at a price I am willing to pay. Yet a lot of the SS I have tried that does not work in my AR, works fine in my 10/22's.

For a rifle, I don't see the point of an integral suppressor. Detachable 22lr cans are so quite that the integral offers limited or no benefit over a detachable. If it is a length consideration, choose a host such as the 457 mentioned with a 16" threaded barrel. If that is to long for you then pick a host that you will have forever and SBR it. You are still going to be at the same price or even cheaper than an integral.

Now you have the benefit of being able to move your suppressor among several hosts.

The only place I see the benefit of going with an integral for a 22lr is on a pistol where you have a 4" to 5" barrel usually to start with and then are adding another 5" or 6" of suppressor onto the end. That doesn't bother me but I can appreciate the benefit of reducing that barrel length plus can by going with an integral. I feel a 22lr suppressor is the best can to go with when getting into the world of suppressors. I still find my 22lr cans to be the most enjoyable to use. Most folks, just like lays potato chips, can't stop at just one.

As to wait time, you just never know but my last 6 cans are all running 5-months from time of check cashing to receipt of tax stamp at dealer. The actual approval has been running 4-months from date of cashing the check for the tax stamp to approval. Then the ATF has been taking another month to get the tax stamp to my dealer. The form 3 from seller to SOT and then generation of tax stamp has been running 2 - 3 weeks on average for me. All my transactions have been through SilencerShop and I can't recommend them enough. I had one issue with a form 3 getting hung up and they had it resolved within 24hrs of calling.

Can's I would recommend taking a look at are: Dead Air Mask (top choice, own one, ultra quiet and made of components that are ultrasonic cleaner safe), Q El-Camino (own one still in jail), Energetic Arms Nyx Mod-2 (Own one and picking it up any day as the tax stamp just came back), Rugged Oculus, OSS Rad 22, CGS Hyrdra AL. I would base your choice on what characteristics are important to you, weight, material, length, etc.... They are all going to be enjoyably quiet.

I would run away from anything AAC until the dust settles from them getting sold to Palmetto States holding company in the Remington bankruptcy.

I have yet find a SS round that functions reliably in my AR

If you're talking a gas operated (normal) AR and not a rimfire, maybe your gassing is off?

Also, I don't see what that has to do with a normal silencer as opposed to an integrated one? I would expect the integrated one to work better, all things equal, since the gun doesn't have to concern itself with working with and without?

I did find that CCI SV stays subsonic and functions my gun, but now there is none to be found, at least not at a price I am willing to pay. Yet a lot of the SS I have tried that does not work in my AR, works fine in my 10/22's.

The 60gr cycles fine in every 22 I've tried it in including multiple 10/22 rifles, but as I noted, it needs a faster twist to really work right. Standard weight subsonic in something that's 'naturally' supersonic is definitionally a light load; if the gun won't cycle with a light load I still don't see what having or lacking a can on it would change.

Everyone always brings up the notification requirement with SBR's. I don't know about others but 99% plus of my SBR use is done within my home state so the hassle of submitting the form notifying the ATF is a non-issue for me and I deal with the hassle when needed.

@Dinglenutz the only 22lr subsonic ammo I have heard of folks using a different twist than 1 in 16 for is the Aguila 60gr ammo. Also, what does twist rate have to do with detachable vs. integral?

If you're talking a gas operated (normal) AR and not a rimfire, maybe your gassing is off?

Also, I don't see what that has to do with a normal silencer as opposed to an integrated one? I would expect the integrated one to work better, all things equal, since the gun doesn't have to concern itself with working with and without?

This whole thread has been about .22's. I have yet to see a gas operated .22. Also I am not aware of a 10/22 that shoots any large calibers that an AR would.

So yes, my dedicated, blow back, .22 caliber AR.

The 60gr cycles fine in every 22 I've tried it in including multiple 10/22 rifles, but as I noted, it needs a faster twist to really work right. Standard weight subsonic in something that's 'naturally' supersonic is definitionally a light load; if the gun won't cycle with a light load I still don't see what having or lacking a can on it would change.

You are talking about one brand of a very specific ammo. I would venture to say the vast majority of subsonic branded ammo is not the 60 gr stuff. Most common SS branded ammo is 38-42 gr with some of the new suppressor branded ammo at 45 gr. Yes, with the longer bullet used in the 60 gr stuff you will need a faster twist to stabilize it.

You are right, using "standard" weight bullets in SS loadings = lighter loads. This is why testing each load for your gun is important. I have a pile of Remington .38 gr SS ammo that runs great in all of my 10/22's and the Buckmark rifle I had, yet runs about 50% in my AR. Yet the 38 gr Augila SS I have will not run in my 10/22's or my AR so it gets used in the bolt gun. CCI SV at 1070 fps and CCI SS at 1050 both cycle my AR well and there is noticeable different in sound, but there is in price. Both stay subsonic in the warmer months, but below freezing they "pop" about 50% of the time.

Also if something will stay subsonic or not depends on barrel length. One thing I like a about using a silencer on a .22 pistol is that most 36 gr high velocity ammo will stay SS.

This whole thread has been about .22's. I have yet to see a gas operated .22.
OK, so you stated that shooting subsonic 22lr from a gun with an integral silencer was an iffy proposition. I don't see what having (1) a silencer and (2) whether or not it's integrated has to do with light loads being iffy in a 22lr semi-auto.

I'd say that shooting light loads from a firearm that depends on recoil momentum to cycle is an iffy proposition silencer or not, integrated or not?

@Dinglenutz the only 22lr subsonic ammo I have heard of folks using a different twist than 1 in 16 for is the Aguila 60gr ammo. Also, what does twist rate have to do with detachable vs. integral?
I have zero interest in shooting std-weight 22lr subsonic ammo, and very little interest in shooting regular high velocity 22lr through a silencer. Given that, my only use for a rimfire silencer would be for shooting out of a dedicated 22lr with a fast twist or a 5.56 AR that's running one of those rimfire conversion deals.

So for me, I have to decide if fiddling around with muzzle devices on a 5.56 AR when I want to shoot subsonic 22lr out of it is worth the trouble, or if just having a dedicated 10/22 for SS is better. I do already have a can that I could use on a threaded barrel 22lr if I was so inclined but as others have pointed out, it seems like a very little gain.

For me, I'd rather not fiddle around.

YMMV as they say.

In normal centerfire guns, especially 9mm, I think they're very cool. The MP5SD is a legend. I have a B&T GHM9SD that is movie quiet even with the cheapest of the cheap range ammo. It's messy, but a blast to shoot and it saves me from expensive subsonic ammo.

For .22lr, it seems a bit much. Also, being that this will be your first suppressor, I'd get a detachable so you can enjoy it on other .22's. I have a SilencerCo Sparrow that I got in 2013 that I absolutely love. It's a blast to shoot on my CP33, Mark IV, and Henry Frontier. There are some great, inexpensive .22 cans out there these days. The Sparrow is great because it's easy to clean, but you also have the Mask, Oculus, Erector, etc.

Be careful though...once you get one, you'll want more. This is my small, but growing silent family. :cool:

InkedPXL_20201107_195753195_LI.jpg

OK, so you stated that shooting subsonic 22lr from a gun with an integral silencer was an iffy proposition. I don't see what having (1) a silencer and (2) whether or not it's integrated has to do with light loads being iffy in a 22lr semi-auto.

I'd say that shooting light loads from a firearm that depends on recoil momentum to cycle is an iffy proposition silencer or not, integrated or not?

I am not sure where I even hinted at such a proposition as that is not true.

The only time I mentioned integral vs detachable was in my first comment about pro's and con's and the OP has to decide what maters to him.

My comment about ammo had nothing to do with silencers at all. It has do with the wide variety in .22 hosts and the wide variety of .22 ammo. Of out all the firearms/ammo on the market .22 is one area where one combination may work great in one semi auto but be a complete failure in another. I even gave examples of this and no mention of silencers at all.

Our .22rf cans get swapped around from gun to gun. Some rifles, some SBR, some pistols. About the only thing I can think of is that the threading on the muzzles of said barrels must be very exact and precise. Potential baffle strikes. Precise .22rf cans. Some barrels have the standard twist rate. Others have the fast twist for heavy Aquila SSS 60 grain ammo.

www.eliteiron.com

If the ATF were intended to protect citizens, you would need a suppressor on every firearm and they would all be drop safe; including shotguns. You could not make ammo that did not meet FBI specs for a handgun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top