JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The idea of a bolt action .22LR with an integral suppressor has me enamored as of late...so I've stumbled into CZ's integral suppressor. I absolutely loved my 457 while I had it, so it's a compelling purchase. But, it'd also be my first suppressor. What are your thoughts of this vs a can or around integral suppressors in general? Given that a Form 4 is what, 10 months now? I'm looking to be a bit more sure of this purchase.

Integral is really cool but usability of being able to swap a can from rifle to pistol, etc is nice and in some cases you can run one can on multiple guns in multiple calibers. An integral is super sleek and cool and can work great with a lot of volume without being unwieldy buuuut... for me, having to lay down cash and then wait and wait and wait... I like having a can that works on multiple guns and can be easily swapped between them.

I've looked at going the integral route as well. However, like others have said, it's nice to have one can that will work on multiple hosts. Also, rimfire suppressors need to be cleaned at least as frequently as the the gun itself. Don't know how easy/hard the integral ones come apart, and go back together.

Given how dirty rimfire suppressors get, the thought of not being able to dunk all caked parts in an ultrasonic cleaner gives me great pause. Unless you are willing to put the whole barrel into a long, expensive ultrasonic unit, you are looking at a horrible job.

My only suppressor is for my 338 Lapua. It cuts the recoil down to about a .270 Winchester, and the noise to around a 17 HMR. If you've ever shot a 338LM a lot with a muzzle brake on it, you would see the point of less noise/concussion, and if you've ever shot a half dozen groups during load development, you can appreciate the recoil reduction. Personally, I'd be happy if they were free, and required on all firearms! Maybe I'd still be able to hear...

Cool looking but very hard to clean. It also shortens the effective barrel length. The option to swap cans is also lost. I wouldn't own one for these reasons.

I have never seen any use for suppressors, and having one on a .22 just seems ludicrous.

The British consider them "polite" and don't even have any regulations on them. If one lives within ear shot of neighbors, a suppressor keeps the neighbors happier when you shoot.

Around here we don't worry about what our neighbors are doing and expect the same from them. For example, they all knew that I had several dozen sled dogs when they moved in, so they have nothing to complain about when they all start singing. The same goes for shooting. I've lived here for 35 years, if they don't like it they can move.

They have their benefits and disadvantages. I've never owned a suppressor, but on some guns, especially some rimfires, I would and do want an integral where possible. E.G., a rimfire rifle and maybe some pistols - where I want the firearm to be compact. Another example would be my PS90 or other bullpups.

As for waiting, unless you are building your own suppressor, you will have to wait either way. If you need/want both an integral and a detachable/swappable suppressor, then get both - as far as I know there is nothing precluding you from buying multiple suppressors at the same time.

You may also want to check out reflex suppressors.

I have never seen any use for suppressors, and having one on a .22 just seems ludicrous.

It makes you giggle like a little girl when you use a closed action gun with a .22 can and subsonic. All you hear is the firing pin hit and the sound of your bullet hitting the target. Out of all the cans I have they are the most fun and most used.

Like everything else you have to define what your goal and expectations are.

Probably the #1 downside to doing an integral is that it is only good for 1 gun.

Probably the biggest advantages to an integral is total noise reduction (typically a higher volume can) and over length is shorter.
With an integral you are not adding length to the firearm so if you want a 16" rifle, with an integral you get 16" OAL. If you want a 16" OAL with a detachable can you have what they call a "2 Form gun" meaning you have a Form for your can and a Form for you SBR.

Back to barrel length, what ammo do you plan on shooting in it? Silencers only take care of the muzzle blast with is minimal on .22. Shooting supersonic ammo with and without a can has a minimal noticeable difference. With an integral, many are set up to keep most supersonic round from going that fast, ie shorter barrel or integral porting. An example is my integral 9mm AR. The subsonic ammo I load for it will go supersonic in my G34.

By far one of my favorite guns to shoot is my Ruger 77 with the can on it (detachable). With subsonic ammo you hear the firing pin hit and you hear your bullet hit the target. Even after thousands of rounds it still makes me giggle.

As others have mentioned, on a .22 when you use a bolt action (or lever action, but that is a bit more work to load), the only thing you hear is the firing pin and the impact. If you ever get a ricochet, you can hear it make a little zing sound off into the distance. I've never met another shooter that tried mine and didn't smile and want one of their own (in fact, some have gone out and done just that). As far as giggle factors in firearms, it's about as good as it gets. The only thing that comes close for me is making targets disappear with a 12 gauge. In fact, I might go so far as to say I think every gun owner should have a .22 suppressor.

As to integral vs detached, I'd definitely go for detached for your first one. These days, I won't buy a .22 that isn't threaded (or that I won't have threaded). Even my 10/22, although not as quiet as a bolt action, is still ridiculously quiet for shooting rounds powerful enough to cycle the action. Sure, I'd love an integral, but you only get the experience on one gun where a detachable, you get to have that experience on many guns.

Or, as the firearms world is prone to saying, get both! I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever route you choose. Good luck!

What if the integral suppressed gun quits functioning for some reason.
I move my Sparrow off and on around ten different threaded pistols and rifles and sometimes just to try out a new firearm that works better with a can then another one.

Want both? Get a 10/22 with one of the aftermarket takedown stocks that convert it to takedown. Get an integral suppressor for it - switch between the integral and the stock barrel - the latter could be threaded for a detachable suppressor.

Downsides?

Cost.

Upside?

As mentioned, OAL. No one has mentioned the fact that with a detachable can your point of impact changes - not so with an integral suppressor.

My very first integral was for my 1st Gen Ruger Charger.

Since the original Charger did not come with a threaded barrel, I was faced with the prospect of a major overhaul...then, I found Thompson Machine, who makes integrally suppressed barrels for several firearms, including the Charger. I ordered the barrel (still being able to shoot the Charger, with the factory barrel) and swapped it out several months later, when my tax stamp came through.

Aside from cleaning a rimfire suppressor (which is an issue, regardless of what you buy), using an integrally suppressed barrel on a semiautomatic firearm pretty much requires the use of high velocity ammunition, to ensure proper cycling of the action. Obviously, this isn't an issue with a bolt action, like what you were describing.

Personally, I feel a suppressed .22 makes the most sense when you're getting into silencers. They're inexpensive and fun to shoot. You can always upgrade to larger calibers when the desire hits.

All of my .22 LR's have threaded barrels and share the same suppressor, I have shot a lot of raccoons at all hours of the night and my neighbors never hear a thing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top