JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think they are fantastic for varmints, coyotes, pigs, etc.

My personal feeling is that it's not my cup-o-tea for deer (maybe texas deer since they are smaller) but if it was my only gun I wouldn't think twice.

I've taken two deer with my AR15A2 and only fired one shot at each animal. Both times were a nice broadside presentation and the round shredded the heart right off the arota, each one jumped straight up about 6-7ft. and landed on on their chests dead as dead gets. You are required to use at least a .30 centerfire rifle for elk though (I've used an AK47 with a 5-rnd. mag), so that Remmy R25 you linked to would do nicely IMHO.

I have hunted deer in Georgia with a DPMS LR-308. Its awesome!, I shot 5 deer in the course of 5 minutes at 100 yards from a tree stand, and had ammo to spare of course. could have taken two more over the next 30 min. What a crazy event that was. I believe your weapon of choice in combat should be what you hunt with. Where else are you going to get the practice of live moving targets with your combat rifle?
If you want to hunt with your AR-15 platform, there is always the option of the 6.5 Grendel. Extremely accurate, extremely flat, maintains more energy than .308 after 800M.

Had the musket been designed with a pistol grip all modern hunting rifles would look like so called assault rifles

the first hunting rifle was modeled after a military rifle.

i will not agree that a .223 is right for deer hunting although many will argue that it is but those are usually guys hunting on private land where they are keep the deer out the garden or crops or they live in a area where they are close to the deer . but the .308 if plenty for most north american game

the pros to hunting with a ar type rifle is they are fast to draw most except longer target models handle better in thick brush cause they have better sling selection shorter barrels and the pistol grip makes them easier to carry for quick drawing. thats why they were evolved for the military other wise they would still be using wood stocks . the collapsable stock also makes them easier to pack and safer getting in and out of a truck .

the negative side

they are heavier at least in the bigger bore models such as the .308 . A 16" .308 carbine will weight about a pound more than the average traditional hunting rifle . thats not a big deal if your a strong person but if your a girly boy it may or if you do spend more time traveling through the woods climbing hills rather than sitting in a truck. but its a good trade off since the so called "assault type rifles" are still easier and more comfortable to carry in the ready position

a good lightweight ar that would be suitable for deer and still be lightweight is the 6.5 grendel but only with quality ammo

the .223 is great for small game and yotes and mountain lions and such.

if going after elk make sure to use at least a .308 don't let any one try to convince you that any thing less such as a grendel will do the job . you will risk loosing your prize and wasting a animal . make sure to have the right tool for the job.

i think you will be seeing more and more hunters with ar type rifles hunting with the popularity of the rifle and the availability of the big bore ar15 type rifles

I've been breaking in a new DPMS .308, carbine, recently. It functions flawlessly, but is not nearly as accurate as a bolt action. 3" 100yd group, vs under 1". It would be fine for hunting deer close in, or from a stand. I'ld still rather have a 20" barrel .308 bolt action for hunting, due to weight, and accuracy. We'll see the DPMS might get better groups, when broken in, and with some good handloads. You can hunt with a 20rd mag up here.

I have a remington R-25 in a 308. Have not hunted with it but have put 80 rounds thru it and it is keeping 1"-1.25" at 100yrds hand loads so as far as accurate yes as far as big enough yes. As far as weight this thing is a heavy SOB. If I was setting in a clearcut or a field I think it would be great. But not a packing rifle by any means. Just my 2 cents.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top