JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think some people that hate on new cartridges are some of the same folks that think nobody should own a new vehicle or a smartphone.

hate is such a strong word, but so overused and diluted these days.

remember when it used to mean... well, actual hate?

now it's used for describing any emotion or opinion that doesn't align.

hate is such a strong word, but so overused and diluted these days.

remember when it used to mean... well, actual hate?

now it's used for describing any emotion or opinion that doesn't align.

Point well taken. Let's replace it with "dislike".

From what Ive been observing the only controversy with the new 6.5 CM is many people are being sold on it for big game hunting when in reality its only a medium game hunting round.
Its right on the edge between the two categories IMO and my guess is that in another 25yrs or so there will be majority of CM hunters that upgraded to heavier calibers when they find this out the hard way but there will be that small cult following of CM hunters that learned how to kill anything with it.
(speaking from experience as an oldtimer 25-06 hold out.... )

I love my 25-06. My first hunting rifle. I now shoot a 338 lapua on big game and a 6.5 prc on medium size game. In sniper school we used 308 and 50bmg... downrange we used 300wm and 50bmg. I have really enjoyed the work that has been done in the last 15 years as far as developments in long range shooting. The creedmoor is a lot of fun to shoot... but I only use it as a paper killer.

I love my 25-06. My first hunting rifle. I now shoot a 338 lapua on big game and a 6.5 prc on medium size game. In sniper school we used 308 and 50bmg... downrange we used 300wm and 50bmg. I have really enjoyed the work that has been done in the last 15 years as far as developments in long range shooting. The creedmoor is a lot of fun to shoot... but I only use it as a paper killer.
Target/military/hunting are all intertwined, when one group invents a gun that's optimal for them it goes viral but then people try to market it for the other groups and sometimes that doesn't mix. The CM was invented specifically for long range target shooting where it excels, problem is many hunters start out with deer then move onto elk where it becomes marginal at long range...

The CM is a good medium game hunting round, but what I'm seeing in hunting groups on Facebook is a LOT of recommendations for it for "big game" but when I looked into the ballistics its just a slight improvement over the 25-06, about in the same class anyways and a lot of hunters question the ol quarterbore for true "big game" CXP3 class animals. Its right on the edge... it can be done with the right bullet and shot placement but most hunters sight in on tin cans at 100yds.
outside of hunting, it seems to be a love hate relationship with shooters but it seems like an awesome round IMO. Maybe the old timers are just mad its doing it with less recoil but if it gets the high tech manbun crowd into shooting its good for the future of gun rights. (just had to throw that in there somehow... :p )

Good idea.
So assuming that takes care of enough felt recoil, Will the 30-06 reach out to 1000 yards or is that going to be a stretch for it?
yeah try a brake, i would recommend checking out the JP recoil eliminator, its big but it WORKS. i think some competitions have even banned it because it works so well.
also sounds like you using factory ammo, reloading will get you the most out of you rig. if you can afford that you may be able to try to "mexican match" aka tune your preloaded ammo for your rifle but that can get fairly involved pretty quick.

I have nothing against the CM but will just say that for every new cartridge that comes out there an existing one thats been doing the same thing for years. Regardless, i dont see a need to critisize new ammo either, more options are better than less.
Like the 6mm/6.5mm Remington flavors? I agree.

My opinion would be to thread the barrel and attach a brake. 30-06 is extremely capable and with a little work recoil can be managed to see bullet flight and impacts.

I'll state this, shooting to 1k isn't what it used to be. Guns are much more capable as are optics and ammunition.

If you want to challenge yourself, shooting an intermediate cartridge can provide that challenge to longer distances.

After getting to 1k with a 308 and checking that off the list of things I wanted to do (still working on shooting a cannon) I sold the 308 and started to try with 223. Much more satisfying hitting steel at 1k with the 223 in my opinion knowing the obstacles it must overcome over larger calibers. Once I was able to get 8" groups on the target at 1k even that got boring.

I don't really shoot long distance anymore.

Have fun, it is an enjoyable process and I can understand why some really get into distance shooting.

My opinion would be to thread the barrel and attach a brake. 30-06 is extremely capable and with a little work recoil can be managed to see bullet flight and impacts.

I'll state this, shooting to 1k isn't what it used to be. Guns are much more capable as are optics and ammunition.

If you want to challenge yourself, shooting an intermediate cartridge can provide that challenge to longer distances.

After getting to 1k with a 308 and checking that off the list of things I wanted to do (still working on shooting a cannon) I sold the 308 and started to try with 223. Much more satisfying hitting steel at 1k with the 223 in my opinion knowing the obstacles it must overcome over larger calibers. Once I was able to get 8" groups on the target at 1k even that got boring.

I don't really shoot long distance anymore.

Have fun, it is an enjoyable process and I can understand why some really get into distance shooting.

Fortunately my barrel was already threaded, and I bought a brake yesterday and had it installed. I've decided to stick with this rifle for now, and I have plenty of ammo including some 180gr and some 220gr :)

Fortunately my barrel was already threaded, and I bought a brake yesterday and had it installed. I've decided to stick with this rifle for now, and I have plenty of ammo including some 180gr and some 220gr :)
Some unsolicited advice, heavy is not always better for long distance shooting. Don't be afraid to test lighter loads, they may surprise you!

Have fun!

Some unsolicited advice, heavy is not always better for long distance shooting. Don't be afraid to test lighter loads, they may surprise you!

Have fun!

Another member of this forum gave me a few 30-06 rounds that were loaded with 223 bullets (I'm probably butchering the nomenclature).

I'm actually hesitant to fire them in my new gun because I don't know the history of these bullets or what components and care went into their production, but I'm curious about the concept.

Seems that a smaller bullets with 30-06 powder load would travel faster and farther. Thoughts?

IMG_0108.jpg

Another member of this forum gave me a few 30-06 rounds that were loaded with 223 bullets (I'm probably butchering the nomenclature).

I'm actually hesitant to fire them in my new gun because I don't know the history of these bullets or what components and care went into their production, but I'm curious about the concept.

Seems that a smaller bullets with 30-06 powder load would travel faster and farther. Thoughts?

View attachment 861827
Those are great for short distance, but they will likely destabilize quickly and won't be off much use past 100 yards if that. The sabot interacts with the rifling but the projectile does not. Sometimes they spin well enough to sustain flight, most of they don't. In some calibers they are very affective, in others they are more of a novelty. They are pretty bonkers through a chronograph though!

View attachment 861827
I agree with what Reno said, I would try some hornady 155 eld-m or equivalent if you still need to reduce recoil after the addition of the muzzle brake. The B.C. is excellent for that weight class and would be an excellent 1000yd paper/steel puncher

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top