JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can always throw it up in the classifieds. Although if I were you I'd sell the rifle and ammo separately. You'll get more money that way. .30-06 is a very common and good round that a lot of people will want.
I put a bunch of it for sale at the same $40 a box that I paid for it... only a couple bites so far. I'll wait it out a while I guess.

I put a bunch of it for sale at the same $40 a box that I paid for it... only a couple bites so far. I'll wait it out a while I guess.
It takes time. Just be patient and keep bumping it when the time comes around. Or trade it for the ammo you're looking for.

Depending on how much of in investment you wish to make, there are tons of choices in many different calibers one could choose from that will take you to a grand and beyond! That SAKO is gonna be a sweet rifle for some one, and .30/06 is more then capable of twice the distance your looking at, I have made shots out to 2400 meters with a Win M-70, and the Rem M-40X, both in .30/06, and even .308 Win can be taken out to 1800 meters in the right rifle, with the right ammo and the Nut Behind the Butt! That said, most can reach the far side of a mile, it all comes down to the rifle and how accurate it's capable of! Don't forget, there is accuracy and there is precision, focus on learning the first one, then learn what it takes to dial in the second and you will be happy!
Out of the box, I gotta go with Tikka for performance potential, but Savage, particularly the Model 10 series, like the 10 FCP are legendary for out of the box accuracy! If your looking for a semi auto, ether the Springfield M-1A or a good quality built FN/FAL copy such as DSA would be my top recommendations, both in .308 win! When it comes to long range shooting, the .308 win is one of the best tools to learn with, and there is literally 65+ years worth of Military knowledge and experience you can use to dial exactly what you are trying, both rifle and load to get you to a grand with out much effort other then learning how!

Sounds like you have had a good amount of people throw the creed out there and not a bad choice at all. Your 30-06 will get you there for sure and plenty of ways to get the recoil down that's manageable.308 yes it will get there but it's a lot of work after 800 however, the good thing is most of the data is online. Do not over look the 243 also a dam good round. No matter what you decide the wind is going to be your biggest learning curve when it comes to long distance... With all that said I would look at a build.

My choice of caliber would be a 260 Remington.
I would look at a GAP, or surgeon. You can do a build off the action or get them to do one for you. If you don't want to get that in depth the RPR is pretty solid for the money as the Bergaras

Last Edited:
Looking for opinions and recommendations for long range target shooting rifles, up to 1000 yards. Please also provide a little commentary on why.

I currently have a 30-06 Sako S20 bolt action. Sweet rifle, but kicks hard.

Also not sure I picked the best tool for the job, as I don't plan on shooting large animals. I currently have it sighted in for 100 yards and it's very accurate at that range.
If your not planning on shooting large animals Hornady sells a 125g load maybe that will reduce the felt recoil immensely.
Aside from recoil issues I dont see any reason to change from the 30-06 or have any regrets getting one to target shoot out to 1000yds.

If I was hunting, I would take the 7mm08... target shooting, I'll shoot the 6.5 all day. My younger nieces and nephews can shoot it without any recoil issues, better SD and higher bc than the 08. Plus the 6.5 was built to be housed in the ar10 platform. Great target round.

Creedtards......hmmmm....would I rather be one of those or a Fudd........
I for one, think it's hilarious the instant and utter devotion to this cartridge! It's not all that, and yet folks sure are making it out to be some magical pill that makes every shooter into a professional sniper! LOL
Sheesh, the old 6.5X55 Swede has been around forever, and you don't see the rabid devotion being spouted on it!
Hell, even the .243 can do ANYTHING the Creed can do!

Find me a 243 load that carries the energy and bc of a 6.5 creedmoor downrange. I own both 243 and 6.5 creed. The 243 can't touch the downrange preformed l performance of the creed. I also have several 6.5 Swedish Mauser that I absolutely love, but the barrel twist rates make them unable to stabilize the high bc long olive bullets...

I have nothing against the CM but will just say that for every new cartridge that comes out there an existing one thats been doing the same thing for years. Regardless, i dont see a need to critisize new ammo either, more options are better than less.

I for one, think it's hilarious the instant and utter devotion to this cartridge! It's not all that, and yet folks sure are making it out to be some magical pill that makes every shooter into a professional sniper! LOL
Sheesh, the old 6.5X55 Swede has been around forever, and you don't see the rabid devotion being spouted on it!
Hell, even the .243 can do ANYTHING the Creed can do!

I don't even own one, but I don't hate on new cartridges like I don't hate on new guns. I like seeing the industry advance and innovate. Even if barely in the case of 6.5CM.

I have nothing against the CM but will just say that for every new cartridge that comes out there an existing one thats been doing the same thing for years. Regardless, i dont see a need to critisize new ammo either, more options are better than less.
The CM was designed for 1000 yard competition. The SAMMI chamber specs keep the bullet from being seated down into the powder column. It's recoil is moderate when using bullets with ballistic co-efficients. It has decent flight times to a thousand yards. Cost of reloading is low when compared to larger cartridges. It is also easy for the average hand loader to work with when it comes to developing loads for accuracy. The CM is a user friendly cartridge.

The 260 Remington could have been king of the hill had it's SAMMI chamber specs mirrored the CMs.

.243 Win SAMMI chamber specs leave heavy bullets seated into powder column.

Ended up getting a Surefire muzzle brake from Curts Discount in Gladstone. Only $59 and they installed it for me. Done deal.

8BB4EF0C-5F84-42DE-82F6-FAD60F350B5E.jpeg

I think some people that hate on new cartridges are some of the same folks that think nobody should own a new vehicle or a smartphone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top