JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for opinions and recommendations for long range target shooting rifles, up to 1000 yards. Please also provide a little commentary on why.

I currently have a 30-06 Sako S20 bolt action. Sweet rifle, but kicks hard.

Also not sure I picked the best tool for the job, as I don't plan on shooting large animals. I currently have it sighted in for 100 yards and it's very accurate at that range.

41F20ECA-F850-4493-8ACB-5BD3A2350DC8.jpeg 17CCE14C-F881-43D5-8454-6E6696FB9895.jpeg

Last Edited:
Savage 110 tactical in 6.5 CM.

Arken 6-24x50 GEN2 FFP VPR scope.
The reviewer below, Rex Tibor, is the creator of Sniper 101 and has the skills to back it up. The scope has outstanding quality, features, and glass far beyong it's price point.

Bargain system that will shoot with the best of them

Last Edited:
I used a M21 and a M24 in the Army at up to those ranges...
One can get a civilian version of those by Springfield Armory and the Remington 700 series .
Of the two I preferred the M21 as there was less movement involved for secondary targets or shots.
Both are quite capable of making shots at those ranges , provided that one practices with them.

A fun rifle to do this type of shooting with is a 03A3 or a M1...this can be done , with iron sights no less , if one has the eye sight and again practice.
Alas...I no longer have that eyesight.... :D
Andy

Last Edited:
.300 win mag and a quality optic. Although if you don't like the recoil of a .30-06 you will not like the .300 win mag. 6.5 creedmore makes everyone a sniper so you could always go with that and it has little to no recoil.

For the dollar, a Ruger prevision Rifle in 6mm or 6.5 mm creed is a great choice. Optics, make certain the scope has a solid tracking record that holds up with continuous dialing.

6.5 CM is great but remember you will only get about 3000 rounds through it before it loses consistency and one should consider replacing the barrel. Just saying.

It's actually not the impact that bothers me as much as the length of time it takes to reaquire the target after each shot.
Ahhh....that is one of the reasons why I liked my M21 over my M24.
( Mentioned in my first post here in the thread )

Stock fit can help with this issue too...as well as "cycling" the bolt of the rifle , while the rifle is still on your shoulder...practice is your friend here.
Andy

Maybe shoot the 30 06 with 150 grain ammo. Hold 06 snug and wear excellent ear protection and maybe a recoil pad. The 300 winchester idea above is great and since these rifles usually weigh more the recoil is less. Maybe work with '06 to figure this out.

Maybe shoot the 30 06 with 150 grain ammo. Hold 06 snug and wear excellent ear protection and maybe a recoil pad. The 300 winchester idea above is great and since these rifles usually weigh more the recoil is less. Maybe work with '06 to figure this out.
I should also mention that it shoots like a 22 when I used the weighted sled... lol. That feels like cheating tho, but don't the competition shooters use those too?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top