JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Obama limiting military style equipment to police due to potential for "misuse" or "overuse". WTF? Am I hearing some kind of sense coming out of him? Or is he wanting to limit local police power so his federal police will be more heavily equipped than they are?

They even mention "constitutional policing" in the article - not sure if I've heard that one before.

What are your thoughts? And yes, all good conspiracy theories are welcomed too ;)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ary-hardware-to-police-departments/ar-BBjUzTt

The White House on Monday announced new limits on federal programs that supply local police with military-style equipment.

After four months of study, a Cabinet working group tasked by President Obama to reform the initiatives unveiled eight categories of military supplies local law enforcement will be banned from acquiring from federal agencies or with federal funds.

The list includes grenade launchers, tracked armored vehicles, armed aircraft, bayonets, and guns and ammunition of .50 caliber or higher.

There is a "substantial risk of misusing or overusing these items," which "could significantly undermine community trust," the group's report reads.

Other federally supplied equipment, such as wheeled armored vehicles, drones, helicopters, firearms and riot gear, will come with new strings attached for local police to ensure officers are trained in their use and in "community policing, constitutional policing and community input."

Police must provide a "clear and persuasive explanation" for the need of the equipment and get approval from their local government.

The steps are part of the White House's effort to reestablish trust between law enforcement and their communities in response to a string of police-related deaths of black men in Baltimore, Ferguson, Mo. and North Charleston, S.C., among other cities.

The issue of police militarization entered the national spotlight last summer as officers and demonstrators angered by the death of Michael Brown, 18, violently clashed in the streets of Ferguson.

The public was shocked by images of heavily armed police in military armored vehicles who were sent to quell the protests. A bipartisan group of lawmakers and civil-rights groups pushed to end initiatives, such as the Pentagon's 1033 program, that allow surplus military equipment to be transferred to local police.

The White House has stopped short of eliminating the program. The equipment "enhances the safety of officers" responding to dangerous situations and being improperly equipped can have life‐threatening consequences," according to the report.

The administration is announcing new rules to better keep track of the equipment, including gathering information whenever it is used in a "significant incident."

More than $4 billion of military equipment has been transferred to police under the 1033 program since it was created in the late 1990s. But almost 150 law enforcement agencies have been suspended over the last six years for losing track of equipment, according to ABC News and Fusion.

The president has recently lamented the limits of his power when it comes to addressing the police reforms, saying he "can't federalize every police force in the country."

But Obama's latest moves are meant to show he is not sitting on the sidelines in addressingwhat he has called the nation's "slow-rolling crisis" when it comes to police treatment of minorities.

Obama will announce $163 million in new Department of Justice grants to promote "community policing" practices at local departments, such stronger policies against racial profiling and increased transparency about officer-related incidents.

The Justice Department will also offer a "tool kit" to encourage more police departments to use body cameras in the field.

One of the most popular reforms to emerge after Ferguson was the widespread use of body cameras by police. The White House has launched a limited program that would equip 50,000 police officers with the cameras, but has stopped short of calling for their mandatory use.

The announcements come on the same day Obama is visiting Camden, N.J., which the White House has touted as antidote to Ferguson.

Camden's troubled police department was eliminated in 2012, and a new county-run force has been credited with improving community relations while driving down crime.

The city is one of 20 jurisdictions participating in a police data-sharing program that makes public information about use of force, traffic stops and officer-involved shootings.

Last month, the Obama administration selected Camden as one of eight new "Promise Zones," a federal program that gives preferential treatment to struggling municipalities applying for anti-poverty, health and crime-prevention grants.

It also participates in the White House's My Brother's Keeper Community Challenge, which sets educational standards for young minority males.

During the visit, the president will meet with Camden County Police Chief Scott Thompson and tour the department's tactical operations center. He will also visit a group of police officers and young people and speak at a Salvation Army community center.

"Camden is an example of a lot of good things happening, a lot of things moving in the right direction," White House Domestic Policy Council Director Cecilia Muñoz said Sunday on a conference call with reporters.

Obama is dispatching Attorney General Loretta Lynch, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro, Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, Labor Secretary Tom Perez and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to 10 other cities in the coming weeks where local authorities have improved relations with their communities.

Obama limiting military style equipment to police due to potential for "misuse" or "overuse". WTF? Am I hearing some kind of sense coming out of him? Or is he wanting to limit local police power so his federal police will be more heavily equipped than they are?

They even mention "constitutional policing" in the article - not sure if I've heard that one before.

What are your thoughts? And yes, all good conspiracy theories are welcomed too ;)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ary-hardware-to-police-departments/ar-BBjUzTt

The White House on Monday announced new limits on federal programs that supply local police with military-style equipment.

After four months of study, a Cabinet working group tasked by President Obama to reform the initiatives unveiled eight categories of military supplies local law enforcement will be banned from acquiring from federal agencies or with federal funds.

The list includes grenade launchers, tracked armored vehicles, armed aircraft, bayonets, and guns and ammunition of .50 caliber or higher.

There is a "substantial risk of misusing or overusing these items," which "could significantly undermine community trust," the group's report reads.

Other federally supplied equipment, such as wheeled armored vehicles, drones, helicopters, firearms and riot gear, will come with new strings attached for local police to ensure officers are trained in their use and in "community policing, constitutional policing and community input."

Police must provide a "clear and persuasive explanation" for the need of the equipment and get approval from their local government.

The steps are part of the White House's effort to reestablish trust between law enforcement and their communities in response to a string of police-related deaths of black men in Baltimore, Ferguson, Mo. and North Charleston, S.C., among other cities.

The issue of police militarization entered the national spotlight last summer as officers and demonstrators angered by the death of Michael Brown, 18, violently clashed in the streets of Ferguson.

The public was shocked by images of heavily armed police in military armored vehicles who were sent to quell the protests. A bipartisan group of lawmakers and civil-rights groups pushed to end initiatives, such as the Pentagon's 1033 program, that allow surplus military equipment to be transferred to local police.

The White House has stopped short of eliminating the program. The equipment "enhances the safety of officers" responding to dangerous situations and being improperly equipped can have life‐threatening consequences," according to the report.

The administration is announcing new rules to better keep track of the equipment, including gathering information whenever it is used in a "significant incident."

More than $4 billion of military equipment has been transferred to police under the 1033 program since it was created in the late 1990s. But almost 150 law enforcement agencies have been suspended over the last six years for losing track of equipment, according to ABC News and Fusion.

The president has recently lamented the limits of his power when it comes to addressing the police reforms, saying he "can't federalize every police force in the country."

But Obama's latest moves are meant to show he is not sitting on the sidelines in addressingwhat he has called the nation's "slow-rolling crisis" when it comes to police treatment of minorities.

Obama will announce $163 million in new Department of Justice grants to promote "community policing" practices at local departments, such stronger policies against racial profiling and increased transparency about officer-related incidents.

The Justice Department will also offer a "tool kit" to encourage more police departments to use body cameras in the field.

One of the most popular reforms to emerge after Ferguson was the widespread use of body cameras by police. The White House has launched a limited program that would equip 50,000 police officers with the cameras, but has stopped short of calling for their mandatory use.

The announcements come on the same day Obama is visiting Camden, N.J., which the White House has touted as antidote to Ferguson.

Camden's troubled police department was eliminated in 2012, and a new county-run force has been credited with improving community relations while driving down crime.

The city is one of 20 jurisdictions participating in a police data-sharing program that makes public information about use of force, traffic stops and officer-involved shootings.

Last month, the Obama administration selected Camden as one of eight new "Promise Zones," a federal program that gives preferential treatment to struggling municipalities applying for anti-poverty, health and crime-prevention grants.

It also participates in the White House's My Brother's Keeper Community Challenge, which sets educational standards for young minority males.

During the visit, the president will meet with Camden County Police Chief Scott Thompson and tour the department's tactical operations center. He will also visit a group of police officers and young people and speak at a Salvation Army community center.

"Camden is an example of a lot of good things happening, a lot of things moving in the right direction," White House Domestic Policy Council Director Cecilia Muñoz said Sunday on a conference call with reporters.

Obama is dispatching Attorney General Loretta Lynch, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro, Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, Labor Secretary Tom Perez and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to 10 other cities in the coming weeks where local authorities have improved relations with their communities.

What it really means is that the equipment is being used to quell the damage done by the "bros" and that ain't what he had in mind. Make no mistake, he is doing his best to stack the deck against law enforcement and doing everything he can to make the gang bangers out as victims of those that have won "life's lottery." When it stops is when it is a felony for a white police officer to detain any person of color for something as simple as jaywalking. That's where it's headed folks and furthermore, I don't think it will be required to do a BGC on a confirmed felonous gang banger. Pretty sure they will get a free ride. Matter of fact, you'll most likely get a class "A" misdemeanor for even calling it in. Just my opinion, but I'm right.

From what I read he won't sell surplus but will allow departments to buy from regular dealers. Limiting departments to only wheeled armor and no tracks is dingy, cops don't use track vehicles and couldn't keep the maintenance up on them. Does make sense that they will train the cops to be more effective in using their M16s, we need another ammo shortage when they procure the ammo to train them all.o_O

This looks more like Obama pandering to the Al Sharpton wing of the Democrat party - like most of what he does, it is "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

I wasn't aware that any police departments had gotten tracked vehicles from the feds - from my Army experience, those take a LOT of maintenance and aren't the most intuitive things to drive. Unless they use it regularly, I imagine it will break down on them or throw a track right when they need it most. Even the MRAP's that a lot of departments got are maintenance hogs and NOT the sort of vehicle you can take down to the local dealership when something goes wrong.

I guess I'm in the minority that doesn't think Obama has a "master plan" for ruining the country. From what I've seen, he doesn't have a plan at all - he's just reacting to things as they show up on the TV news. He's spent his entire life being told that the US is the cause of the world's problems and his plan - such as it is - was to withdraw the US from the world and "lead from behind".

He was so convinced that he had the power to make everything "better" and his reaction to the world and the US sinking deeper into chaos has been to blame everybody else. He blamed George Bush, the Republicans, white people, people who "cling to their guns or religion", rich people... By the time he leaves office, I doubt there will be a single person he hasn't blamed - except, of course, for himself.

Jim

What it really means is that the equipment is being used to quell the damage done by the "bros" and that ain't what he had in mind. Make no mistake, he is doing his best to stack the deck against law enforcement and doing everything he can to make the gang bangers out as victims of those that have won "life's lottery." When it stops is when it is a felony for a white police officer to detain any person of color for something as simple as jaywalking. That's where it's headed folks and furthermore, I don't think it will be required to do a BGC on a confirmed felonous gang banger. Pretty sure they will get a free ride. Matter of fact, you'll most likely get a class "A" misdemeanor for even calling it in. Just my opinion, but I'm right.

So in reality, I should be able to sell to a person of color, post SB941, without a BGC. If they come after me, all I have to do is claim they put yet another barrier to the minorities owning firearms, their own voting base. It would be a conundrum to be sure. If that didn't work, I'd just ask them why they were so racist as to not allow a white person to sell to a black person. Might as well use Alinsky's own tactics against them ;)

I thought we had threads here where we bemoan the militarization of the Police?

We do. I'm just wondering why it appears now that Obama is now seeking to restrict that militarization. It seems to me to work against his own plans to more heavily arm local police.

I can't stand Obama, but as shocking as it is, maybe he is doing something right?

I'm not a mind reader, so it's hard to judge his motives on this one. At least for me it is.

I can't stand Obama, but as shocking as it is, maybe he is doing something right?

I'm not a mind reader, so it's hard to judge his motives on this one. At least for me it is.

Exactly, this appears to be a good move, which is why I'm so confused when it comes from him :confused:

What is so shocking, he decides to disarm the police as the summer comes up and the riots go full blast?:D

Must be one of those pesky "unintended consequences" as he armed the very police being used to silence his voting base....er, rioters....uh, protestors....um, civil rights activists o_O

Must be one of those pesky "unintended consequences" as he armed the very police being used to silence his voting base....er, rioters....uh, protestors....um, civil rights activists o_O

True, he is losing part of the his voting base every time a cop pulls a trigger. So what do they call that to make it sound fair, post birth abortion?o_O

Obama also mentioned that police merely need to "justify" having that equipment, which probably won't be too difficult... He just wants people to feel more at ease about the militarization of the police.

I see this as a positive step. Just my opinion. I also, really don't see why people whine and moan about the POTUS of the day. Obummer was picked, and ordained, just like the last one was, and the next one will be, by the few people who actually have the power, (certainly not the voting public), and we live in some illusion of proper voting power. It's all an illusion. It doesn't matter who WE pick, or think is best, it's not OUR choice. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so........

Most likely the military stuff will go to the police departments in retirement communities . . . The old folks might be fomenting insurrection.
The cops in places like Baltimore and Ferguson will only be allowed pepper spray and night sticks.

Sheldon

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top