JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
applejack_engineer_by_cloudmcswagger_d4px21y.jpg

There. I made it weird. My work here is done.

Nah, guys like Mike and anybody else keeping exotics as pets are all about their own ego.....no thanks.
This was back when I had brought my kids back to the States for a few years in order to meet the other side of the family they'd never seen. I wanted to continue with my career so we settled in Winston, Or. where I took over the carnivore dept. at Wildlife Safari.
Although it is captivity, it's a really great spot, better than the San Diego wildlife park IMO. We were known internationally for our cheetah breeding/conservation, and while I was there we had between 9 and 11 lions. This particular guy was abandoned by his mom at birth and after much thought as to whether to let him die naturally or take him in, I decided on the latter. It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship ;)
After deciding to try to reintroduce him back to the pride I had to slowly break my bond with him and very slowly and gingerly start the introduction process, which took about 6 months and was very tricky.....never been done before.
In the end it succeeded and he lived out his life as a lion amongst lions rather than among people. A good thing.
Here are some of the cats he became a part of again. The blackest maned lion was his daddy.
Shortly after this I decided I was done with captivity and started my work in Africa, which was to go on for About 15 years or so, with a couple of years doing wildlife undercover work in India in the middle.
Edited to add: actually in looking at this pic his pappa is the big fellow on the far left.
View attachment 583119

I never knew this thread existed, I'm glad I found it for this story and pictures alone. Thanks for sharing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top