JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your favorite caliber to carry ??

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • 9×19mm Parabellum

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • 40 S&W

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • 45 ACP

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • 38 Special

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • .357 Mag

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • .44 Mag

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 10MM

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Hi everybody!
I am starting to get into conceal carry and I have seen some pretty nice guns on here. While I know it is a matter of preference I'd like to know what your favorite caliber is and why? Please be respectful to members who post! I believe there is no clear cut answer to each is own. I have owned .22, 9mm, 40 S&W , 45 ACP. I lean towards 9mm because of the capacity, shootablity, concealability.

I first voted for 3....but found out that only 2 could be counted.
For me , it depends on why I am carrying.

I do carry a .22 revolver at times when hunting as it is useful for the occasional shot at a grouse.
Also a .22 is a fun gun to shoot...so if shooting fun , is on the menu for the day...a .22 gets carried.

.45ACP is my favorite pistol cartridge...so that gets my vote , as it is the caliber of the pistol that I shoot the best with , my Colt Series '70.

.357Magum is another favorite , because of the versatility of the cartridge and many choices of revolvers that can use it.
Andy

Hi everybody!
I am starting to get into conceal carry and I have seen some pretty nice guns on here. While I know it is a matter of preference I'd like to know what your favorite caliber is and why? Please be respectful to members who post! I believe there is no clear cut answer to each is own. I have owned .22, 9mm, 40 S&W , 45 ACP. I lean towards 9mm because of the capacity, shootablity, concealability.

If you take all the calibers you've listed and have the opportunity to shoot all of them 'side by side'/consecutively using quality handguns in a class (not an easy thing to do) where you're actually using defensive shooting skills and see your results (accuracy, rounds, firearm manipulation, distance, time, heart rate, fatigue, etc.), you'll know what's best for you.

In my case that would be 9mm.

In the same training course of fire, I would actually do better (overall accuracy and 'maybe' time to finish) with .22 but the firearm manipulation is worse because .22LR is more prone to have a malfunction (hence my time to finish would actually increase which in real life means I haven't stopped the threat yet) and of course .22LR is doing less damage immediately than a larger round. .38 is close in terms of accuracy/speed but I can't get my revolvers to spin through 6 or 7 rounds faster than a pistol and .40 begins to drop in accuracy with speed. The larger rounds are ok if shooting 'slowly' but when speeding up then not so great.

Hi everybody!
357 Sig is missing.

9mm. Because of the higher capacity, less recoil, easier follow up shots, and in all honesty with the bullet technology of today I don't see a reason to carry anything bigger.

88 Magnum of course

SpotlessBitesizedHoverfly-size_restricted.gif

I voted for 40 S&W. I believe with a 155gr Speer Gold Dot going about 1150 fps it has enough energy to break the charge of a Cougar or crackhead with one shot.

8mm Nambu or 7.63 Mauser in my Broomhandle.

But seriously...

9mm or 45ACP and I've never been able to make up my mind between the two. The difference in terminal ballistics is not significant...I just happen to think .45 is cool.

Everyone is different, find what you shoot the best and accurately, which fits your needs. Caliber does fold in here, however is dependant on multiple variables as well.

9mm as an oversimplified example. Have a bunch of various, for various roles, however we shoot CZ75 variants best due to fitment. So our carries are CZ75 RAMI mostly. Occasionally smaller / slimmer Ruger LC9S line, however don't shoot those anywhere near as well as the CZ's.

Pocket .380 just for quickie type errands where clothing / risk assessment may not warrant other concealabity. Shoot the .380's even less well than the slim 9's. Almost, but not quite "get off me zone" So there's that.

For "normal" times I'd recommend going to a range which rents & try a bunch. Such may likely not be possible currently, however do your due diligence to see if such is a possibility (reasonably) where you are.

May take you doing a bit of calling around, perhaps driving farther afield than you normally would like to. Think outside "the box" as well. At our club (way too far to be worthwhile for you) one of the private instructors offers such a service - clients have the option to try out multiple platforms/calibers for a fee.

Perhaps ranges/clubs in your area have private instructors which offer similar services, where you attend their training as a club guest??

1) Look at the Marshall/Sanow and Ellefritz studies. From 9x19 (and maybe .380) on up the difference in caliber means a lot less than shot placement.
.320: =< .32ACP are mouseguns and inedequate for SD. .327 Mag has a whole lot more crunch than a .32ACP.

2) How many guns do you plan on owning? You may want a different gun/caliber for different situations.
The gun I carry in my bathrobe isn't the same one I take out and about.
Do you plan on a BUG?

3) I tend to agree with 9x19P as being the choice with the most pros and least cons.
The .357 Sig is in essense a 9x19+P+ for a lot more $.

4) DVC means a balance of Speed, Power, and Accuracy, with the weight of the factors varying with the situation.
A SA .44 Mag is a good choice for EDC if bears are an anticipated assailant, not so much for Orcs.
I have carried a .380, and didn't feel like I was almost unarmed.

5) "8mm Nambu or 7.63 Mauser in my Broomhandle."
My choice in that category would be the 1895 Nagant Revolver in 7.62x38R. :D

Anything is better that nothing but generally 9 and 45 are your best bets starting out. It's really hard to go wrong with 9mm for your first carry gun. If you carry for several years your preferences will probably change at least once, possibly several times, so don't put too much pressure on yourself to get exactly the right gun the first time. You probably won't. :)

Oh, and you may as well start a thread on holsters too. That'll be fun. :D

* There are lots of threads on holsters here. :)

Anything is better that nothing but generally 9 and 45 are your best bets starting out. It's really hard to go wrong with 9mm for your first carry gun. If you carry for several years your preferences will probably change at least once, possibly several times, so don't put too much pressure on yourself to get exactly the right gun the first time. You probably won't. :)

Oh, and you may as well start a thread on holsters too. That'll be fun. :D

* There are lots of threads on holsters here. :)
Ain't that the truth. I went from .40 to .45 to 9mm. And for a very long period of time I had a few dresser drawers full of holsters. I mean I am still trying out holsters and that's after 10+ years of concealed carry. Haha. I have ones that are go to, but I like to keep my options open.

Ain't that the truth. I went from .40 to .45 to 9mm. And for a very long period of time I had a few dresser drawers full of holsters. I mean I am still trying out holsters and that's after 10+ years of concealed carry. Haha. I have ones that are go to, but I like to keep my options open.
I'll bet everyone here who has carried regularly for more than 5 years has or has disposed of a drawer full of holsters.

I'll bet everyone here who has carried regularly for more than 5 years has or has disposed of a drawer full of holsters.
Yup. The gun is the easy part. Belt, holster, set up, location, clothing, etc. that all takes time. A whole lot of trial and error.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top