JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would depend on the situation...
The 'kit' I carry when working alone in the mountains is more of a patch kit to stop bleeding, splint breaks and treat/prevent shock. I have 2 rolls of tape {3/4" first-aid and 2" vet tape} plus a space blanket. I also carry a good, windproof lighter and Spot Messenger. My Spot subscription includes evacuation insurance to cover that helicopter ride to serious medical attention...

Would depend on the situation...
The 'kit' I carry when working alone in the mountains is more of a patch kit to stop bleeding, splint breaks and treat/prevent shock. I have 2 rolls of tape {3/4" first-aid and 2" vet tape} plus a space blanket. I also carry a good, windproof lighter and Spot Messenger. My Spot subscription includes evacuation insurance to cover that helicopter ride to serious medical attention...

Are we talking SHTF, home, backpacking or vehicle kits??? We coulf probably have forum for each one

I use to use a fully supplie med kit. I'm talking bvm's, opa's, npa's. Hot and cold packs, numerous types of tape bandages and dressings. Throw in an emergency blanket, suture kit, ventilation mask, misc pharmaceuticals and some tongue depressors. Maybe a Sam splint or to and burn/anti microbial ointments. Tack on a first aid guide some saline and an IV start kit. Now that im older and questionably wiser, I carry only 2 pair of nitrile gloves. Thatss it nothing else.
1, I protect myself from the nasties that people have and in my opinion everyone has hep c, HIV, mersa and bad breath. The gloves and my sunglasses help protect me from those nasties.
2. By nipping off a portion of the middle finger I have an acceptable ventilation device where I can administer rescue breaths with little fear of disease transmission.
3. Applying direct pressure to a severe bleed with a gloved Hand is still the prefered method to control severe bleeding.
4. Nitrile gloves can make an effective flutter type dressing for open chest wounds.
5. Easy to store and they don't cost much.

It depends on where I am what I have. I am a medic and one of my jobs is on wildland firs so I have more gear at then I know what to do with. I will say the gear I carry I can do more then one thing with. The more things it will do the better.

In my normal DCB (daily carry bag) I keep 1 of the military style <broken link removed> dressings cause you can use it for many things. I carry 1 http://www.swattourniquet.com/ again you can do many things with it and the 2 of these easily fit in a small space. I also carry a few bandaids, gloves and some tape (I prefer the fiber packing tape).

The http://www.amazon.com/Israeli-Battle-Dressing-Compression-Bandage/dp/B003DPVERM are also quite nice but take up more room.

Like any other kit or bag you need to figure out when you think you are going to use it, how you are going to use it and when you are going to use it. My gear list changes when I am on normal duty, if I am on ski patrol, if I am responding with my local volunteer fire dept. I am on a wildland fire where I am doing medivac I will have way more gear then if I am hiking 5 miles + a day with the crews, or if I am in a truck or an ATV. It all just depends and you really need to find out what your situation is going to be (or what you are planning for) before you can build a good kit.

Brining this thread back from the dead.

I have a Drago pack that has since been mangled BUT it makes a great dedicated EMT bag.. If one of the straps was t broken it'd sill be my EDC pack.

This isnt a bug out bag or an assault bag anymore, this is strictly for medical supplies. Small things that come up regularly that would be nice to have everything for.

I have the whole gambit of:

Vitamins/minerals
Sleeping pills
Headache and anti inflammatory pills.
Caffine pills
Water
Honey for eating
Small (immediate) rations of food as well as three larger MRE meals
Water filtering devices (stick, light and chems) as well as a small metal pot, aluminum bottle and plasic bottle.

Wound care:
Typica small first aid kit.
Compression packs
Vaseline
Duct tape
Paracord
Rope and other tourniquet devices
Splint material/wraps
Typical antiseptics, alcohol hydrogen peroxide and salt and sugar
Emerg. Honey for wound care
(I need to add blood clotting agents and or sponges but I have little experiance with new stuff)
Gloves, cotton swabs, large and small plastic bags as well as large gallon freezer bags.

Thermal aid:
Blankets
Spare socks, gloves, shirt and sweat pants as well as underwear
A few instant heat packs as well as fire starting gear and tinder.

Knives as well as small scissors, I need to add a better/larger pair for cloth cutting.

Of course the typical:
Extra Duct tape
Lights
Extra paracord

For those that are more EMT oriented, what other gear would you say you use regularly? Im in need of a few extra ideas. I like having contingency plans for everything, extra ideas or tips would help. :D

^^^^Both! I carry suture kits as well as a pretty comprehensive sewing kit. It includes needles with big enough eyes to use the inner strands of 550 cord!

without having done suturing it is also difficult to know what you would need.

Like this module is pretty good. Though it does not seem to include a hemostat (fancy tweezers to hold the curved needles) It has a sterile syringe but no lidocaine. kind of weird since it is really not complete.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/04611/M-TRAVEL/-Chinook-Travel-Suture-Module-

It is pretty easy to learn though. Pig skin from the butcher is a great media to practice on (except no blood to deal with)

I had a bandsaw accident a few weeks ago and needed 3 sutures in my thumb. The lidocaine block did not work and since it was only 3 sutures I just had them do it to see what it felt like.

It was painful, worse than the original cut, but bearable. So I have a pretty good idea what it would feel like to suture myself with no anesthesia.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top