JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got about 1,000 rounds of 30.06 and most of them are reloads, which I think are really great. I wanted a super strong action bolt action rifle to fire these off. Today, I bought a 1975 Ruger 77 (serial number 72- 98XX) and I think it will be just the job of what I'm searching for. Luckily, the scope is worth about the same thing as the rifle and that is what made me buy it. The bolt looks so much tougher than the Remington 700 and sort of like the Mauser action. But, I would like for you experienced guys to tell me the truth of what is the strongest action.
Damn, but I sold my press and I would like to take the reloads apart, weigh the powder and start out 3 or 4 grams less and work up to the full loads. I think that would be the safe way of working with reloads. Maybe one of you guys would like to work with me and figure the loads out to see if they are safe. I live in SE Salem, but can travel. Might be a fun day.

Last Edited:
Did you reload them? if not I would use this instead of shooting them.
upload_2018-2-9_6-3-15.jpeg
if you rolled em then use what you got to shoot them unless they were for a specific rifle.
maybe take one or two apart and weigh the charge and see where it fits in the reloading manual?

The question I would ask is even the world's strongest action strong enough? Feel lucky? If your wrong it may be only a few body parts.
I would sell the ammo as components and buy manufactured ammo.

Not entering the debate of shooting this ammo, the Ruger actions are very strong. But in reality, you would need to go to an old design where it was rear locking, or to one with questionable heat treating, as in some of the early 1903s, before you encounter what could be considered weak.

I'd have to be pretty trusting to use ammo reloaded by someone else, but have done it with little reservations on more than one occasion when the ammo was loaded within "book" loads by someone I know and trust.

I'm pretty sure the M1917 (as was mentioned earlier) was the strongest action coming in behind a Japanese WWII rifle for pure toughness. I think maybe it was an Arisaka, but I can't remember.

I like those Ruger's and it would sure be a shame to mess it up with dubious ammunition. Nice stick by the way. ;)

Thanks, It's got the "tang safety" and the safety locks the bolt which are good things according to some accounts.
But, Would anyone take the bullet out, weight the powder ( to see if it fits the description on the box) and load it 3 grams less and fire it off. Then fire it off as .5 grams more up to the original load. Seems reasonable to me but maybe stupid to risk body parts???

No. No. No.
I would pull the bullets, pop the primers, dispose of the powder, and then either reload or sell the brass and pulled bullets as components.
The powder is an unknown entity. It isn't just the charge weight that is critical, it is also wondering whether some jackass used the wrong powder.

Push feeds will generally be stronger than CRF/Mauser types of actions because the case head is in a counter sunk bolt face, which adds another "ring of steel". That said, push feeds have mechanical ejectors and small extractors that break.

One thing that I found was interesting was using Weatherby factory ammo in a Remington 700 chambered in 257 WBY. First 3 were sticky, last two blew primers. The 700 wasn't throated with a foot of freebore like (exaggerating) like a Weatherby.

No. No. No.
I would pull the bullets, pop the primers, dispose of the powder, and then either reload or sell the brass and pulled bullets as components.
The powder is an unknown entity. It isn't just the charge weight that is critical, it is also wondering whether some jackass used the wrong powder.
I agree with MountainBear. Also the condition of the brass. Old and brittle?:oops:
If it was properly sized to spec? I have a RCBS precision mic that can measure
the case. I also have a 30 cal. collet bullet puller hat would break down the
rounds easily. I would not shoot someone elses reloads.:eek: I have many years
of experience reloading thousands of 30/06. I own 9 rifles chambered for 30/06. M1,
03, 03A3, US 1917 Enfield and a Win. Model 70.:cool:

I read somewhere that the pre/early war Arisaka was the only action that P.O. Ackley could not destroy using purposely over-loaded ammunition.

Yep...

Ackley also tested the ultimate yield strength of various military bolt-action rifle actions by blowing them up with incremental blue-pill loads. Because cheap military suprplus bolt actions were popular for sporting conversions, Ackley thought it germane to see which ones were safe for expected handloads. He did them all—Mosins, Lee-Enfields, M1917 Enfields, Mausers, Springfields and the Japanese Arisaka. The winner, hands down, was the Japanese Type 99 Arisaka.

Shooting unknown re-loads... I know from sad experience ...it can wreck a fine rifle..I wouldn't do it.

As for the load data with the ammo...All you really know for sure is that at some point in time ammo was loaded that way...you do not know if the ammo you have now is loaded the same...
And even if you pull apart the some of the ammo and find that it does indeed measure the same as the data listed...again all you really know is that the ammo tested , was loaded that way...
Also as MountainBear has said...its not just how much it measures...but the powder needs to be correct as well...
( that was the fault of my unknown re-load experience )

For the record I have no issue using proper reloads...done correctly it can be a highly rewarding experience.
Using a faulty re-load can also be an experience...:eek:

While not the least expensive ammo on the block... .30-06 can be had and it would be worth it to me to just buy new ammo and learn to make my own trusted loads in the future...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads