JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Right now in my Glock 19 I carry Winchester Personal Protection hollow points in the white box. I'm wondering with all the +P and other stuff out there if there's maybe a more 'modern' round with more stopping power. Thoughts?

When I'm carrying 9mm I'll choose 124 grn Speer GD, 124 grn Hornady XTP, or the old standby, and supposedly obsolite:D 124 grn Hydrashock. Got alot of this around, it's good stuff. Runs well in Glocks (G17 and G19) and they're good rounds as far as I know.

Also got some Remington 115 grn +p around.

Just have never gotten around to purchasing enough Win. Ranger 127grn+p to run through the guns for reliability, and then enough to have on hand to carry. It's supposedly one of the best 9mm rnds out there, in +p or +p+.

I've looked at all kinds of tests and reviews and pictures and everything that I've seen leads me to believe that in a defensive hollow point round, Federal HST is the way to go.

124 gr or 124 gr +P or 147 gr or 147 gr +P whatever your preference might be

Personally I'd recommend the 147 gr

Winchester Ranger T, Speer Gold Dot, Federal Hydra-Shok, Hornady TAP...all good choices but when it comes to big expansion and big cutting edges, HST edges them out. Emphasis on EDGE as all of them are good choices. Obviously, if your Glock doesnt feed HST well for some reason, you'd want something else.

After doing my research, I think I am in fact going to go with the Federal HST. Thanks for the tips guys :)

The high-speed brands already listed in this thread are excellent choices (Gold Dot, DT, HST, etc.) and will give comparable performance over the long haul. In other words, over the course of, say, 5000 rounds there will be only a minor difference among brands. When considering only high quality SD ammo, the real secret behind "stopping power" is shot placement; and that means practice. A lot of it.

Naturally, most people can't afford to only shoot what they carry. The two types of ammo (target and SD) will not perform the same way, I've discovered, and you definitely need to practice with your SHTF ammo so that you are aware of--and prepared for--the differences. One idea is to suck it up and shoot four or five hundred rounds of your chosen SD brand. After you've gotten comfortable with it, pick a ratio of target ammo to SD ammo. For example: fire through one mag of SD ammo for every four mags of target ammo while you're at the range.

I have good shot groups with my target ammo (WWB FMJ) but things go haywire quick when I use my current SD ammo (HST JHP+P). All that "stopping power" amounts to exactly dick if I can't reliably hit a 4" circle at seven yards. God help me if I have to do it under extreme stress. So, for me, that means 1) drop the +P and see if that helps, and 2) invest money in the desperately needed practice with that round.

Location, location, location.

GOLD DOT???!! No, YOU FOOL! That's WRONG!! Gold Dots go off for no reason while you're loading the magazine!!!!

Oh, wait. I'm thinkin of something else. Nevermind.

If HST wasn't available or didnt function well in my gun for some reason, I would use Gold Dot as well.

I would encourage you to do your own research though because history shows that when "everyone says" something, nothing prevents it from being completely wrong.

"Five billion people believing in a fairy tale doesn't make it true, it just makes five billion idiots."

Right now in my Glock 19 I carry Winchester Personal Protection hollow points in the white box. I'm wondering with all the +P and other stuff out there if there's maybe a more 'modern' round with more stopping power. Thoughts?

There is no problem with wanting something "better" than what you already have. However since 1992 I have killed more animals on the farm with that factory load than any other round from any caliber of pistol. I have killed animals from rats upto feral dogs of good size.

The best thing about that round is it performed spectacularly on deer from 100-170 pounds. I put alot meat on the table with that round.

That was just the most common factory load I used. My load of choice was 124 XTPs in the 1250 range loaded in my basement. It performed a little better but nothing much more noticeable.

I used that round for a long time and even stoke it in the 9mm when I hit the trails because I know exactly how it kills.

My EDC load in my G19 is BlackHills 124 +P loaded with a XTP at the velocity I loaded my own to.

If you are happy with the Winchester loads then they will serve you just fine. If you want something that MIGHT work better and have a fancy looking box to go along with it then get some HSTs. Just remember fancy looking projectiles and boxes are just that, fancy looking. The generic looking WWB HPs in 115 or 147 will serve you just fine. Thats not an opinion. I know what they can do to live animals and that is better than any gello test or ballistic table could ever teach you........

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top