JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
look for the website "brassfetcher" if its still around, had gelatin tests of all the common sd rounds.. I used to make a point of testing my rounds in water jugs.. mostly started doing that because I wanted a deer load for the .357, and most of the .357 hp rounds were built like varmint bullets, not like the gold dot that would break a 200lb bucks shoulder, and ribs on both sides on a quartering to shot.. and expanded diameter was always about 1.5x original (.55). You dont have to be involved in the shooting of a lot of folks to do the research and see how your rounds act in flesh, especially if you're the outdoor type. I recovered a 9mm 147gr wwb round from flesh a few years ago after dispatching a problem varmint and it penetrated about 11", and looked almost identical to the water jug tests i'd done of the same round with expansion around .70, so i know it works..

The only problem with Gold Dot 9mm is finding it. I have only seen a box in the last year, though I don't go out of my way to hunt it down.

The only problem with gold dots is there are a few tests that I have seen that they didn't expand correctly or consistently
(go to you tube yourself and search it)
And there is that shooting that the LEO's shot the guy 20+ times and none of the rounds expanded or killed the guy.
it took an AR to do that.
That one is an old thread on here from last year

Bunch all of the " experts " (guys who have made careers out of getting us to buy bubblegum ) and I'd be surprised to find out if there have been 3 or 4 actual shootings between all of them in the last 40 years. Maybe not that many. In my mind unless you have actually shot someone, preferrably a lot of people, with a lot of different so called " self defense " ammo, then your opinion really doesn't mean all that much. I remember when Ayoob was going around making a huge deal about how his body armor saved his life....until I read it was from his steering wheel in an auto accident. My .02 cents worth is shoot what you can hit with and works well in your guns. Shoot them as many times as you can. At that point it's up to God or luck or karma or whatever your believe in.

I couldn't agree more. Shot (or round) placement is by far THE most important consideration regarding a gunfight, personal protection or whatever you want to call it. In other words a well placed hit from say a .22lr is far better at STOPPING THE THREAT than a poorly placed hit from say a .357mag, 5.56 or .44mag.

To many people place to much emphasis on this kind of stuff and caliber selection and not enough on training.

That is my two cents worth.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads