JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regular bathing lessens chance of body cancer and make repairs on the underside of the vehicle easier.

Dean

If it was anything more than a ranch truck I'd probably have washed it a time or two. As it stands, it's only getting 1500 to 2000 miles a year around the ranch with one round trip to Ellensburg with a flatbed to haul in hay.

My commuting car is a 2005 Toyota Corolla. The family mobile is a 2016 Kia Sorento. After child #3 arrived (15, 3, 1 now), had to trade in the fun car, 2013 Ford Focus ST for the Sorento. The teenager and the toddler in his carseat fit fine in the back seat of the focus, but there's just not enough room for him and 2 car seats, so I traded in my fun car so the wife could have the room she needs, and then I took over her Corolla. Dropped about 120 hp there, and I don't even want to talk about the handling differences! At least the Sorento is the 290 hp V6 and AWD to go with the 3 rows of seating, so it goes fairly well. But a hot hatch, it ain't! Someday, I'll have a fun car again....

Here's our family drive - Ford S-Max [not imported to the USA, where is would no doubt be considered a sub-micro-mini-compact van].
It's a seven-seater with all the good stuff, including AFAIAC, the all-important glass roof -

upload_2018-7-1_19-51-16.png
upload_2018-7-1_19-51-46.png
upload_2018-7-1_19-53-22.png
upload_2018-7-1_19-53-55.png

More important even that that is that it does 48mpg from a 2-litre 172bhp turo-charged diesel engine.

tac

For those of a delicate nature, please avert your eye-trumpets. For those of a more robust upbringing, this is what $8800-worth of damage looks like in a Porsche Boxster engine...

upload_2018-7-1_19-59-27.png

Rear right-hand side bottom camshaft bearing [it's a flat-six, remember] - machined directly into the head. Damage like this = new head = $4000 plus all the bits that go with it.

tac

My grocery getter. 130 HP at the rear wheel, stock. Surprisingly nimble around town. It used to be a police Concours 1400. I've finally got it all de-copified (which was a really neat process) and now I'm just adding bits to suit my tastes. With the kids and everything else I barely have time to ride it though. Sigh.

IMG_20180630_200333.jpg

For those of a delicate nature, please avert your eye-trumpets. For those of a more robust upbringing, this is what $8800-worth of damage looks like in a Porsche Boxster engine...

View attachment 474319

Rear right-hand side bottom camshaft bearing [it's a flat-six, remember] - machined directly into the head. Damage like this = new head = $4000 plus all the bits that go with it.

tac
Oil pump problems?

Oil pump problems?

Incipient IMS bearing failure due to oil pump fail. Also................new IMS bearing [American, ceramic], new clutch, new water pump, twelve new can head buckets, new head gaskets every single head bolt replaced [like the gaskets and helicopter fixings, they are one-time use only], replacement cylinder head [old one was scrapped as they can not be repaired], new cam bearing heads [half in the head and half-separate - see the bottom doo-hicky in the image below...and labour at $150 per hour - all added up and taxed @20%.

upload_2018-7-2_10-5-47.png

tac

Incipient IMS bearing failure due to oil pump fail. Also................new IMS bearing [American, ceramic], new clutch, new water pump, twelve new can head buckets, new head gaskets every single head bolt replaced [like the gaskets and helicopter fixings, they are one-time use only], replacement cylinder head [old one was scrapped as they can not be repaired], new cam bearing heads [half in the head and half-separate - see the bottom doo-hicky in the image below...and labour at $150 per hour - all added up and taxed @20%.

View attachment 474559

tac
OUCH! :s0001: :eek: :s0077::mad::s0118::s0048:
...but, if you're going to play with expensive toys...o_O

Glad she's relatively okay. My wife hit a deer at 75 in Oklahoma in 1997 and she is still afraid to drive outside town at night. She was not hurt but our Taurus was totaled

OGRE,

If you're thinking about a truck, beware of newer Dodge's.
My neighbor just got one. JUST got one.
He's an avid fisherman and was getting his boat out of the water, when the truck slid back and to the side.
Pulled the truck back to about the doors.
Killed all of the electronics. Truck stopped running.
Somehow he got it and the boat out and after letting it sit for about 1/2 hour, it started again and he was able to get the boat home.
Next morning, dead as a door nail.
Last I saw, it was on a hook going back the garage.
...can't believe it myself.
"Better living through modern technology"....riiiiiiiiggghhhht.

facepalm2_small.jpg

Somewhat related to the previous post, not my only car but for sure my favorite to drive. 1930 Model A Ford. It was my grandfathers first car, he bought it in 1957 for $50, and he restored it about 15 years ago. I inherited it after he passed away this year.

Looking forward to at least another 88 years of totally mechanical faithful service:D

20180728_102849.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top