JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most of the diesel conversions have the 4BT, but I seem to recall a few with the 6BT, and IIRC the classic style PWs were made up into mid 50s. If I won the lottery, I would have enough money and time to find a way. But then maybe a 4BT would be adequate.

I actually like the 4 BT better, it's lighter and can be made to make the same power with out the same fuel. Mine dynoed at 380 Hp and 670 F.P torque and gets around 17 miles per gallon despite the low gears in the axles. The new BT is set up exactly the same, but has the newer 16 valve head conversion, the intake was machined off and a new sheet metal manifold was fabbed up for it, should do even better! Best part is No Glow Plugs if using the industrial spec engines ( which both mine are) and the higher compression makes instant startups and turbo lag a non issue!

I actually like the 4 BT better, it's lighter and can be made to make the same power with out the same fuel. Mine dynoed at 380 Hp and 670 F.P torque and gets around 17 miles per gallon despite the low gears in the axles. The new BT is set up exactly the same, but has the newer 16 valve head conversion, the intake was machined off and a new sheet metal manifold was fabbed up for it, should do even better! Best part is No Glow Plugs if using the industrial spec engines ( which both mine are) and the higher compression makes instant startups and turbo lag a non issue!

I need to have someone look at the 6BT in my big truck. I don't have the time or energy to do it myself (I used to work on diesels, I would just rather let someone else do it now). It has something wrong with either the governor, the pump or the turbo, but it seems to lose power at times, especially when running in the higher gears. I also lost fifth gear (it probably came lose on the shaft as they are wont to do), so I want to either a 6 speed or maybe something with more gears and closer ratios (I really like the 8 speed auto in my X1 - something with those ratios would be perfect).

I didn't know the 4BTs had glow plugs - my 6BT has a intake grid heater. Is the head different on the 4BT, or is it the 16 valve conversion?

Cummins made two different versions of the BT series both the 4 and the 6, the light duty versions were low compression glow plug engines, and the military/ industrial were high compression non glow plug engines. The 4 valve heads were later electronic engine "improvements" but they interchange with the older engines just fine. Mot all parts between all variants and both sizes interchange, which makes it real simple to set it up and tune it how you want it to run.
Another engine conversion to consider ( and I almost did this) is the 4-53 Detroit Diesel 2 stroke with Jake Brake! That's a pretty slick engine, and with the Jakes, would make for a real versatile power house! If you wanted a close ratio trans, one of the Clark 8 speeds, or even better, an Eaton twin shaft 8 speed would be pretty awesome, but HEAVY!

We had 6-V53 engine in the 44's, but the 52' had twin 6-71s which were much lower RPM but had a lot more low end power and were much easier to rebuild.

I will stick with my 6BT, but it needs some engine work and a new transmission. The truck is a one ton 4x4 dually with a std. cab and a 12' flatbed - i.e., a cab/chassis, so it will work for an RV (camper hauler) to get me near where I want to go when I retire, in comfort and serve as a base camp. Right now it serves fine as a farm truck.

I have some other things I want to do - put a diesel in the Toyota (and maybe a full floating axle on the rear so I can tow it easier), and lockers and winches on both trucks.

Cummins made two different versions of the BT series both the 4 and the 6, the light duty versions were low compression glow plug engines, and the military/ industrial were high compression non glow plug engines. The 4 valve heads were later electronic engine "improvements" but they interchange with the older engines just fine. Mot all parts between all variants and both sizes interchange, which makes it real simple to set it up and tune it how you want it to run.
Another engine conversion to consider ( and I almost did this) is the 4-53 Detroit Diesel 2 stroke with Jake Brake! That's a pretty slick engine, and with the Jakes, would make for a real versatile power house! If you wanted a close ratio trans, one of the Clark 8 speeds, or even better, an Eaton twin shaft 8 speed would be pretty awesome, but HEAVY!
In a 1/2 - 1 ton pickup, you'd do better to go with a 3-53.
Still makes oodles of power and about 200 lbs. lighter.
My dad was going to put one in his full size, but never did.
After he passed away, I gave it to my ex brother-in-law.

Dean

We had 6-V53 engine in the 44's, but the 52' had twin 6-71s which were much lower RPM but had a lot more low end power and were much easier to rebuild.

I will stick with my 6BT, but it needs some engine work and a new transmission. The truck is a one ton 4x4 dually with a std. cab and a 12' flatbed - i.e., a cab/chassis, so it will work for an RV (camper hauler) to get me near where I want to go when I retire, in comfort and serve as a base camp. Right now it serves fine as a farm truck.

I have some other things I want to do - put a diesel in the Toyota (and maybe a full floating axle on the rear so I can tow it easier), and lockers and winches on both trucks.
I think the drive axle on the 1-ton Toyota trucks were full floaters....seemed like it anyway.

Dean

I give you Swedish Steel:
IMG_20170506_164857892_HDR.jpg

Public lands cleanup targets needed - Gambler 500

Mine are not - '92 4x4. I want to have a rear axle with locking hubs so I can disengage them when towing. Full floating axles are stronger too since the drive shaft in the axle doesn't carry weight, only power.
`Is your Toyota a 1-ton, Heretic?
I was actually thinking of the older ones, 70's and early 80's....should still be able to bolt up to your truck.
Good idea about the manual hubs on the rear axle shafts.
Used to be a popular feature on rigs that were towed to the off-roading site.
Not sure if they make kits to convert the full-floaters anymore, but then, I haven't checked in a long time, either.
In the days before locking hubs, Warn used to make caps for the hubs on the Jeep axles.
The idea was that you removed the axle shafts and used the caps to seal the axle, while driving to and from the off-roading site.
Old, OLD, OLD timey stuff!
Once locking hubs and part-time systems became available, the warn axle caps became obsolete.

Dean

Last Edited:
WARN still makes the hubs, and Six States and Dutchmans can make or modify a set of rear axles fir ya if needed ( for the extra length needed) IIRC, Chevy 3/4 ton axles are the same as Toyota. You could probably find a Chevy floating axle and have it converted for your Toyota pretty reasonably.
If any of you have, or know where one is, I would be interested in getting one of the last of the DDEC 453's for an up and coming project.

`Is your Toyota a 1-ton, Heretic?

Not sure, but I know it doesn't have a full floating rear axle. It was the last gen before Tacoma/T100

I seem to recall that Japanese makers rated their small pickups/trucks/etc. as one tons so that they could get past some import restrictions. That doesn't mean they could haul one ton. My Dodge 3500 is a one ton and can easily haul that much, and probably again as much more.

WARN still makes the hubs, and Six States and Dutchmans can make or modify a set of rear axles fir ya if needed ( for the extra length needed) IIRC, Chevy 3/4 ton axles are the same as Toyota. You could probably find a Chevy floating axle and have it converted for your Toyota pretty reasonably.
If any of you have, or know where one is, I would be interested in getting one of the last of the DDEC 453's for an up and coming project.

I don't know of any, but they were popular in various heavy equipment. The logger who did my thinning had a skidder that had a 4-53 powering it. They don't call those engines 'screamers' for nothing.

Not sure, but I know it doesn't have a full floating rear axle. It was the last gen before Tacoma/T100

I seem to recall that Japanese makers rated their small pickups/trucks/etc. as one tons so that they could get past some import restrictions. That doesn't mean they could haul one ton. My Dodge 3500 is a one ton and can easily haul that much, and probably again as much more.
They used to say so, right on the tailgate, "1-ton".

hqdefault.jpg

Pretty bold statement, if it weren't true.

When I worked for U-Haul, we had a carrier called "TM", which was based on a Toyota cab-chassis with a 10' box.
It was a heavy duty 1-ton with rear dualies.
I used to jokingly define "TM" as "Tiny Mover". ;)
The old Chinook and Marlin motor homes were based on that chassis, as well.

Capacity for your truck should be listed on the tag on the door/sill.
Check what the rear GAWR and GVWR stats are. That should tell you.

Dean

Last Edited:
They used to say so, right on the tailgate, "1-ton".

View attachment 363130

Pretty bold statement, if it weren't true.

When I worked for U-Haul, we had a carrier called "TM", which was based on a Toyota cab-chassis with a 10' box.
It was a heavy duty 1-ton with rear dualies.
I used to jokingly define "TM" as "Tiny Mover". ;)
The old Chinook and Marlin motor homes were based on that chassis, as well.

Capacity for your truck should be listed on the tag on the door/sill.
Check what the rear GAWR and GVWR stats are. That should tell you.

Dean

I rented several U-Hauls where the truck cab was a Toyota. Great vehicle even though it was not that large. I rented one for the move up into the Washington State area so I took the minimal amount of stuff since we were living in an apartment. Once we found a house I flew back down to California e to supervise the move. My employeer paid to move our belongings up to Washington State.

Yeah and I thought my cummins was loud and obnoxious :eek:
I can still hear the screaming Detroit diesels from work
And they were at the other end of the job!:D
So how hard is it to convert my 24 valve to the old style injector pump?
I hate the cheapest/best way to replace the lift pump for these things?
Sorry he mentioned cummins:rolleyes:

LOL! Screamin' Jimmy's.
For a short while, I worked in the head shop of a DDA dealership.
My first week there they put a 3-53 on the dyno and ran it at 3300 rpm for the whole day...all week.
That motor was about 40 feet away from me.
I now know the definition of "loud". :D

Dean

I rented several U-Hauls where the truck cab was a Toyota. Great vehicle even though it was not that large. I rented one for the move up into the Washington State area so I took the minimal amount of stuff since we were living in an apartment. Once we found a house I flew back down to California e to supervise the move. My employeer paid to move our belongings up to Washington State.
Tony,
Those trucks were definite "speed machines" back then!
Pretty cool that your boss paid for the moves. You must have a pretty good job.
If you made that move in 1992, I probably serviced that truck after you got it up here.
After my stint as a mechanic, I worked at a major financial institution that was based out of state. I took the ferry to work and tried to explain to them its like a bus....but it floats on the water.
They could NOT understand what the heck I was talking about, as they had never heard of The Washington State Ferry System.
...suffice to say, I had to pay for my own travel expenses.
I understand these days, they have no problem footin' the bill for the ferry riders....bastards :mad:

Dean

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top