JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh sure, take the safe answer ( just kidding ;) )
Sounds like what you're doing is what the guy at The 405 (and elsewhere) are doing, but I think your answer also answers the question, why those 405 guys never come up here, or we go down there.
Yeah, making a bracket car "street legal" isn't that hard, but getting it licensed for the street might be tougher than if you had, say, a diesel Rabbit.
I've heard some bad stories about guys spending quite a bit of money on a "street car" then not being able to have it licensed because the issuing authority was too picky (to put it nicely).

Dean

Thats the good thing about not having vehicle inspections for state licensing on cars that are already in state. The state patrol doesnt even inspect cars coming into the state any more.

Just a little teaser! What could be more fun then cruisin around in a nice classic convertible! This will have the same drive train as my 46 WC-30 but it will be Olive Drab just like this one!
0e298106fc950a23bbb00a37334a5f26.jpg

Had to get it and get rid of the Landcruiser. Cruiser needed too much work for this old guy and got too bad a gas mpg
So back in the cummins saddle again
IMG_0307.JPG
I know I know that's the ugliest brush guard you have seen but it serves a purpose till I get some bumper material

"fastest street cars at the Toppenish strip that services Yakima. 115, 116, 118 etc. I'm thinking " Is that all you got?"

My buddy about 25 years ago put his 47 Hudson pickup down the Wilsonville(?) strip at 103 with the weeks groceries in the bed.

His was a dark green but had these lines:

112786_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

"fastest street cars at the Toppenish strip that services Yakima. 115, 116, 118 etc. I'm thinking " Is that all you got?"

My buddy about 25 years ago put his 47 Hudson pickup down the Wilsonville(?) strip at 103 with the weeks groceries in the bed.

His was a dark green but had these lines:

View attachment 360533

I used to have a 70 Cougar 351 4V cleveland built up somewhat. Ran 11.8's in the 110 range. Used to race it at Bremerton raceway a lot. Childs car seat in back and the kid in the stands.

Got this old thing fired up today. Didnt run it to long. Probably should hook the mufflers up :)

wfwqgM.jpg

Coming along. Mufflers in place...

lQFDAr.jpg

Last Edited:
Same boring econobox car as 30 pages back. Won't post another pic of it....

BTW, some of ya all have some schweet rides!

Got my new combat rims and tires today for the '42 Power Wagon build! now it's off to media blast and powder coating, and tire install.
View attachment 362536
View attachment 362537

Nice. There are some kewl build threads on the expediton portal and of course other forums - guy on adventure rider is semi-restoring a nice condition Unimog he had imported. I have thought about buying one, maybe the backhoe model but I just don't have that much use for it and my big 4x4 truck would be better as an RV as it would be more comfortable on the highway. I don't go 4 wheeling much anymore, I prefer dirt bikes for going around in the back country trails - easier and less expensive.

I really dig these old Power Wagons, as much fun as all the other "toys" are, it's these two trucks ( and the Wife's willies) I really get excited about. The 46 is way to nice to go out and thrash through the woods and rocks, but it's a blast to drive and I can use it for daily chores just fine. The 42 is going to be the one I can thrash on ( with out doing damage) and have lots of fun and adventures with. I was just going to restore it, but I changed my mind and am going to do a sort of Mad Max, Deserts of North Africa sort of build with it, I think it would be more fitting for this truck, and give me an even more one of a kind truck when it's all done. I am cutting the new combat rims tonight and widening them 4 inches to take the new tires, and will be cutting new lock rings on the water jet some time this next week! Also going to build a linked suspension instead of the leaf spring set up. Should ride nicer and give more travel too!
My Brother has one of those 406 Unimogs, and he loves it, but it's super complex and hard to work on, and the cab is so small and cramped, it's not a lot of fun for a days drive. Funny thing is, my 46 is just as capable off road as the 406 is, and if I got it stuck, I at least have a chance of others being able to help me un stick it ( it also helps that I have twin PTO winches on it, and the 42 will have the same set up.

If I haven't posted them (I am too lazy to go back and check), these are my trucks, which I rarely use now, but when I retire I intend (if my health holds out) to turn the big one into an RV and the small one into a semi-capable off-roader that I might haul behind the big one.

vosmyx.jpg

206gcac.jpg

Right now they mostly sit around the property doing nothing because I am too lazy and I have too many projects.

I do lust after a nice Power Wagon - I would like one with a 6BT in it with a ten speed behind that.

tumblr_okyu8wKCWr1tfdj9uo1_1280-M.jpg

However, I have been around long enough to have spent many an hour and many miles in rickety old trucks, to want one as a primary ride, or even just a utility truck.

Now if I won the lottery, then I would have a few PWs in a massive shop, just because I could, but they would have modern power trains underneath them, although at least one of them would be a swivel frame (probably only driven around the property though).

Only one problem, The 40's era P.W. are too short to get a BT-6 to fit under the hood!
I have BT-4 in mine with the 6 speed in the 46 and the five speed for the 42. The stock axles are plenty strong enough, and the drum brakes are actually pretty good with modern linings. My 46 will fly down the road at 85 and stops almost as good as a new truck, despite weighing over 7000 pounds!!! It rides like a truck, but the seats make it nice enough for a long cruise. every thing is rebuilt and there is no noise or rattles or any thing, just a solid, simple old truck that gets it done very well!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top