JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why won't the US allow this type of vehicle? I've always wanted one on those Toyota HiLux diesels the drive in Austrailia and othe countries.
Man, you guys are young.
There was a big push for diesel powered cars in the later half the 70's and through the 80's, but no one liked them because they were smelly and slow.
In America, the majority want to get there, NOW and smell pretty at the same time.
Thus, THEY DIDN'T SELL.
The only diesel powered vehicles out here now are full-sized trucks and a few, select imports (cough*Mercedes*cough).
I for one would still like to see them in mini-trucks again....of course, I would also like to see the re-emergence of the true "mini truck", not those behemoth's the industry is trying to pass off as "mini" trucks.

Dean

Slow and smelly? Right. My slow and smelly 7-seater gets to 60 in 8.2 secs, a top speed of 132 mph and cruises, in Germany, at an easy 110mph, and STILL gets 35mpg.

My pal's BMW 535cdi does 0-60 in 5 seconds dead. It's a station wagon, BTW.

Diesels have come a long way, Glasshopper, since Roosevelt was president.

Here in Yoorup diesels account for 82% of ALL car sales.

tac

Diesels cost more to produce, they cost more to buy and diesel is considerably more expensive than gasoline in the United States and as VW found out the hard way its difficult for them to meet the performance standards that Americans expect while maintaining our emissions standards. Theres no compelling reason to purchase a diesel car in the US.

Diesels cost more to produce, they cost more to buy and diesel is considerably more expensive than gasoline in the United States and as VW found out the hard way its difficult for them to meet the performance standards that Americans expect while maintaining our emissions standards. Theres no compelling reason to purchase a diesel car in the US.

I understand that. Your 10c a gallon gas beats ours, for sure. Makes the 15c diesel look pretty expensive, eh? ;)

tac

~threeple for gasoline and other oil products. Food is anything between 75 and 100% more expensive, and so are services. Trains are good to travel if somebody else is paying.

Most shooting stuff is pounds for dollars or worse, sometimes a LOT worse. The nice new Ruger PR is north of $2000 here, and my favourite Berger bullets, the 175gr VLDs I shoot in my 7.5x55, are $100 a box.

We have 20% sales tax on everything except books and children's clothes, so if you are a midget with a taste for Horry Patter, you are good to go.

Don't be having a nice watch - I have many, mainly because I can't have any more guns. It's actually cheaper, and I mean a LOT cheaper, to fly from London to New York for a long weekend, whoop it up a bit, and have one of my watches serviced at the Local Rolex agency and then come back here, than it is to have the same watch serviced here in yUK.

Add to that that if I need something American-made fixing, like my NF scope that stuck on x32, I would have got charged importation tax and customs duties amounting to almost the price of the scope to get it back here again, although it was just a fixed-up scope repair. Lucky for me that we are over in the US every year getting our fix of gun freedom and Marionberry pie.

Don't be planning on coming here unless you win the lottery, is my advice - the only thing here that's free.

tac

...actually....if you look at the pump prices, Diesel isn't the most expensive fuel anymore.
At least that's what I'm noticing out here.

Slow and smelly? Right. My slow and smelly 7-seater gets to 60 in 8.2 secs, a top speed of 132 mph and cruises, in Germany, at an easy 110mph, and STILL gets 35mpg.

My pal's BMW 535cdi does 0-60 in 5 seconds dead. It's a station wagon, BTW.

Diesels have come a long way, Glasshopper, since Roosevelt was president.

Here in Yoorup diesels account for 82% of ALL car sales.

tac
...and my old 1980 Rabbit Diesel had passing times one could log with a calendar!
I had that car for 5 Years and I loved it, but I walked away from that experience with the solid impression that everyone in America should own something like that, just to learn patience while driving.
Maybe we wouldn't have such a problem with road rage if they did.

Dean

...actually....if you look at the pump prices, Diesel isn't the most expensive fuel anymore.
At least that's what I'm noticing out here.

Diesel is about 30 cent a gallon more expensive where I'm at. $2.30 for regular unleaded on the res or $2.70 out in whiteyland . I was in Florida last week and it was under $2 for regular.

Diesel is about 30 cent a gallon more expensive where I'm at. $2.30 for regular unleaded on the res or $2.70 out in whiteyland . I was in Florida last week and it was under $2 for regular.
Ha!
Out here, regular is going for about $2.799, while diesel is around $2.499.
Of the 4 choices one is offered at the pump these days, its the cheapest.
Like the realtor says, "location, location, location".
:D

Dean

I'll tell you what my first vehicle was!
It was a 1971 dodge swinger with a slant 6, the car ran like a top & I only paid $120 for it back in 1983.
Ronald Reagan was president & I loved that guy !
Good car.
To be honest, any of those 70's compacts were reliable as the day is long and easy enough to work on that a 5-year old could fix one.
My folks bought a '72 Nova, new. 250 six cylinder, air cooled poweslide and (eventually) a J.C Whitney Cruise Control.
Super numb power steering and those power brakes that had you eating the steering wheel ever time.
Always started, always ran until 1981 when they traded it for a Citation with power everything.
I bet your Swinger was just as reliable.

Dean

EXACTLY!
I had to sell my big window '65 GMC because of that dam'd insurance law.
Nuthin' wrong with yellow. I once had a Rabbit diesel in that colour. People would ask, "why yellow?"
Truth was, I bought it that way and didn't have the $$$ to repaint it, but I would tell them it was because my car doubled as a taxi in the wintertime when all my friends cars wouldn't run worth a bubblegum. =)

Dean

My first yellow car. 1970 351 4V cleveland Cougar ( original 428 car ) . Factory color. 11 second daily driver at the time.

m7hKhY.jpg

Wife decided to ditch her Honda Pilot and roll towards fuel savings... she found a red 2012 with 12,800 miles on it.

So... now there be two in the driveway.

IMG_2713.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top