JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got rid of the mini-van and bought a Toyota RAV4. It is a great zippy car but I now wish I had bought an SUV with greater towing capacity. I would like to buy a small camper but the RAV4 says it has a 1500 lb max. That is one thing I failed to think about when I bought it.

Last Edited:
I got rid of the mini-van and bought a Toyota RAV4. It is a great zippy car but I now wish I had bought an SUV with greater towing capacity. I would like to buy a small camper but the RAV4 says it has a 1500 lb max. That is one thing I failed to think about when I bought it.
Check out "Scamp" fiberglass trailers.
The website lists the 13' version at 1200-1500 lbs.
There are also Teardrop Trailers.
These are very small camping trailers (often less than 10' long) that take a slightly different approach to what constitutes a "travel trailer".
For most of us, anymore, a travel trailer is basically a small home that we bring along with us for extended travels.
If features all the amenities one could need to live in comfort.
Before the advent of that concept of the travel trailer, one would pitch a tent and find a spot to build a camp fire.
This, plus a bedroll and a few cooking/survival tools comprised their kit.
These days, we often refer to this as "Roughing It".
The teardrop trailer adheres to this concept in a slightly more refined fashion.
Inside is basically a bedroom for one or two to sleep in and (in the classic configuration) a "trunk" in which houses a kitchen.
...that's it.
These trailers often weigh in at less than 1000 lbs. and there are several companies that build these teardrops.
As an adjunct to the teardrop concept, some people use Motorcycle camping trailers.
I remember talking to one guy who's only car was a Geo Metro from the early 90's.
....you wanna talk about NO towing capacity?
He often went on extended camping trips with his dog and all he usually used was a tent and a campfire.
He was highly interested in the motorcycle camper concept, as it would make setup and teardown of the camp site easier.
Personally, I like the offerings from Open Road Outfitters.
They make a series of fold out campers that are very lightweight and the larger versions appear quite roomy.
I believe all of them are under 500 lbs.
So you do have some options, Aunt B. Now you just have to decide which approach you want to take....and, of course, I don't think anyone would fault you if you sold the RAV4 and got a larger SUV so you could pull a larger trailer (or get another mini-van and build it into a pseudo motorhome).
...decisions, decisions... =)

Dean

EDIT: I just found a company called "Time Out Trailers" that sells fold outs similar to the offerings from Open Road Outfitters.
They seem to offer a slightly larger line-up at Time Out Trailers.
Their website - Time Out Trailers | Official Site

Last Edited:
Currently have two:

My fun car is '01 Z06.
My not so fun car is '97 Exploder
00000_cEZUXy52p80_600x450%20-%20Copy_zpsmhi5snmz.jpg '][/IMG][/URL][/URL]

my daily driver is either my 14 Honda Pilot 4wd or my 08 Honda Accord but I really look for any excuse to drive this beast. It's a 1985 dodge ramcharger prospector. All stock other than the new suspension seats, couldn't mess with it when I lived down in commiefornia due to smog/carb nazis, but this spring we're getting headers, a new exhaust system, and gotta fix the transfer case to get the 4x4 working again... mechanic in Stevens county?!?! Where you at? Haha. IMG_4117.JPG

Guess I gotta change my avatar; 4runner is gone. Bought a house, needed a pickup. For anyone looking for a great deal on a truck, look into 2nd gen Dodge Dakotas. This thing has 4x4, 4 full size doors, a V8 (the only midsize available with one) and cost me $3000! It's got a lot of miles, but eh, I can fix anything.

Guess I gotta change my avatar; 4runner is gone. Bought a house, needed a pickup. For anyone looking for a great deal on a truck, look into 2nd gen Dodge Dakotas. This thing has 4x4, 4 full size doors, a V8 (the only midsize available with one) and cost me $3000! It's got a lot of miles, but eh, I can fix anything.
My son has a Gen 2 ClubCab (I think CrewCabs were mid gen) his is a 'Sport' a 2001 or 2003 maybe, 4x4, manual....and V6! There is a huge disparity among 2d gen Dakota in favor of the V8, V6 have real small production numbers. He had to order it to get the V6. No cruise control, manual windows. He is not a trader, drives to work everyday in Denver. I know he has had the ball joints replaced under recall and probably on third or fourth windshield. It does get preventative maintenance.

I drive a lifted 07 Silverado with a giant INFIDEL flag covering the back glass and an OREGUNIAN AK sticker on the windshield. I'm sure some of you have seem it driving about the PDX area. Will update with pictures tomorrow druing daylight hours.

2013 F150 with about 3600 miles (yeah, that's 3600 not 36000) on it. My wife has a bad back and can't get in it so we take her car, a 2006 Toyota Highlander, whenever we go out together. And no, the truck isn't for sale.

2013 F150 with about 3600 miles (yeah, that's 3600 not 36000) on it. My wife has a bad back and can't get in it so we take her car, a 2006 Toyota Highlander, whenever we go out together. And no, the truck isn't for sale.
I have 24,800 on a 2012 F-150 and thought I was a low mileage guy, guess not. Mine is a fancier crew cab and the wife rides in the back passenger side as she has more room for her leg and back to find a more comfortable position. Therapy has fixed her back, but she has adopted that seat as hers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top