JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I know the answer to this, but what do you shooting veterans do when you find live rounds on the ground? I'm talking about what looks like a factory bought live round without any damage or markings on it.

Do you treat it like a landmine and just discard it carefully? Or do you take it home and dissemble it to use the brass & bullet? Or even the primer or powder? Or do you ever fire them thinking that it's a free round? Could these be perfectly fine rounds that someone just dropped? Or must these be defective and we shouldn't take a chance? I'm guessing there's some horror stories as well. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Just depends.i have a buddy who anytime anything jams he just clears the round a keeps going. I've picked up a full mag or two. Figure the worst is maybe some water got in and I'll get a dud or squib.other than that disassemble and use for components.

There was a time when I would deconstruct for the case. Now a days, I feel it's not really worth the effort, as has been said, it should reside in the dud bucket. I value my safety and my firearms more than a found errant round. YMMV

I take them home and disassemble them. Reloading is a hobby, and now that I finally retired, I have the time to do this. Right now I am in the process of disassembling a bunch of 30-06 and 243 ammo that got the other day. Then I will try to sell the components.

I like to set the found round , on the berm and have the primer end facing me...
Then I take a shot at it with my muzzleloader or .22 rifle , trying to hit the primer...makes for a nice "trick" shot.
Andy

Wow, if the primer is not struck, I figured someone dropped it, and I been shooting them, you guys opened my eyes and made me think, and now Im not going to do that no more.:confused:

Now if it was a 50 beowulf, 45-70 or 454 casull or something with brass worth something in a caliber I use, I'd take it apart for the brass. Dud bucket for anything else.

Yeah we used to think it was funny to drop a .22 round in the fire every now and then back in the highschool and shortly after days... That's not the fun I have anymore now that I'm 40. Man, growing up sucks.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top