JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I know the answer to this, but what do you shooting veterans do when you find live rounds on the ground? I'm talking about what looks like a factory bought live round without any damage or markings on it.

Do you treat it like a landmine and just discard it carefully? Or do you take it home and dissemble it to use the brass & bullet? Or even the primer or powder? Or do you ever fire them thinking that it's a free round? Could these be perfectly fine rounds that someone just dropped? Or must these be defective and we shouldn't take a chance? I'm guessing there's some horror stories as well. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Just depends.i have a buddy who anytime anything jams he just clears the round a keeps going. I've picked up a full mag or two. Figure the worst is maybe some water got in and I'll get a dud or squib.other than that disassemble and use for components.

There was a time when I would deconstruct for the case. Now a days, I feel it's not really worth the effort, as has been said, it should reside in the dud bucket. I value my safety and my firearms more than a found errant round. YMMV

I take them home and disassemble them. Reloading is a hobby, and now that I finally retired, I have the time to do this. Right now I am in the process of disassembling a bunch of 30-06 and 243 ammo that got the other day. Then I will try to sell the components.

I like to set the found round , on the berm and have the primer end facing me...
Then I take a shot at it with my muzzleloader or .22 rifle , trying to hit the primer...makes for a nice "trick" shot.
Andy

Wow, if the primer is not struck, I figured someone dropped it, and I been shooting them, you guys opened my eyes and made me think, and now Im not going to do that no more.:confused:

Now if it was a 50 beowulf, 45-70 or 454 casull or something with brass worth something in a caliber I use, I'd take it apart for the brass. Dud bucket for anything else.

Yeah we used to think it was funny to drop a .22 round in the fire every now and then back in the highschool and shortly after days... That's not the fun I have anymore now that I'm 40. Man, growing up sucks.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top