JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If someone is coming into a gun store and doesn't know anything about anything and they're fed bs from the staff, that's on them. Gun store presence isn't a public service, it's a money making operation. As long as they aren't telling the people dangerous stuff I wouldn't say anything.
I disagree, sometimes the most erroneous lies to sell a gun in the store can lead to a purchase of a gun that doesn't fit the costumer... Sell an old lady a G26, when she needs it the most will she be able to rack the slide? Selling a 45acp to a 21year old because he/she thinks a 1911 is cool, but maybe too much for him/her to handle. I believe, of all retail markets, firearms dealers need to actually pay attention and need to be able to read the customer and is responsible for their advice. Though I would stop far short of holding them legally responsible for, say, selling a S&W 500 to someone inexperienced who goes out and has an accident... Just like at the range, there isn't wiggle room for bad advice in the firearm industry, Lives can depend on it.

I'll say something depending on circumstances, severity of the misinformation/opinion, and if I know for sure my information is at least a better answer than what was given. Most of the time, this happens at my local Bi Mart. All the sporting goods counter people know me and I them. I regularly seen them say they don't know when they don't know, instead of trying to invent an answer. Some have even been relieved when I've offered some input. Almost all the time though I excuse myself for intruding and ask if I can offer them some advice, saying something modest (hopefully) like 'I know a little about it.' People seem eager for information when it's offered politely and not given as a irrefutable fact.

Last Edited:
that PSL rifles work best with heavy ball ammunition, when in fact a steady diet of anything other than light ball can damage, if not destroy the PSL.
With a few modifications heavy ball ammo can be used. Might not be worth it but that's up to you on that.

That aside, if I hear bad advice I don't do much except just not buy a gun at the store. Luckily only one LGS gives bad information (though none of my friends listen to me when I say that). Course, the pawn shops give good information to balance out the bad the gun shop gives.

ab_zpscvwfq967.jpg

I disagree, sometimes the most erroneous lies to sell a gun in the store can lead to a purchase of a gun that doesn't fit the costumer... Sell an old lady a G26, when she needs it the most will she be able to rack the slide? Selling a 45acp to a 21year old because he/she thinks a 1911 is cool, but maybe too much for him/her to handle. I believe, of all retail markets, firearms dealers need to actually pay attention and need to be able to read the customer and is responsible for their advice. Though I would stop far short of holding them legally responsible for, say, selling a S&W 500 to someone inexperienced who goes out and has an accident... Just like at the range, there isn't wiggle room for bad advice in the firearm industry, Lives can depend on it.

Rise from the dead ol'six year old thread!.!.!.!.!

You realize your arguing with a guy that hasn't been online since Oct 26th of 2010 right??

While the dead thread has been resurrected..

This happened to me at Cabelas yesterday in Springfield. A 20-something girl was behind the counter trying to explain to a prospective buyer that shooting with the crease of your finger on a gun is an ok way to shoot.

She didn't mention you should have a gun that fits your hand so the pad of your finger touches comfortably... Nooooooo. She says "well it's all preference".

Yeah right and only one leads to accurate shooting moron!

Benjamin Franklin would always give sage advice by stating that a friend of his had a similar problem and had solved it by doing this or that, even though it was his genius that was really solving the problem.
He found most folks don't like a know it all and by directing the solution to the problem at hand onto a third party allowed him to not ruffle any feathers and get his point across.

Last Edited:
I agree with a few of the above comments - I've found most people don't want some random strangers opinions over the professionals in a shop.

Heck, I've even found a few intelligent and long time friends ignoring what I had to say about guns or anything else I have a lot of experience in. Everyone is a Google Fu Master these days.

The world is just too over run with sub par IQ people to make much of a difference even if you ran TV ads 24/7; just look at the split in the US over our next president - logic is left behind and forgotten.

I thought we were starting the bi weekly " Bash gun shop employees" threads again.
Bless Franklin's heart;) but some folks don't learn if you don't ruffle their feathers
If a guy is just blatantly lying or stupid I'll say something . But if he's just selling guns I'll let it go
I like to let out a chuckle some times if I don't want to ruffle feathers. At least it makes the buyer stop and think a minute

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top