JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You have a 60 yard shot at a large trophy buck, the buckhorn sights of your 38 WCF lever action are lined up and you are ready to launch a 180 grain bullet with a case full of FFFg. Is it ethical? Why or why not? :confused:

View attachment 565629
Sure since I really like buckhorn sights...it would ethical , but I am not sure if it is a legal method here in Washington.
Andy

You have a 60 yard shot at a large trophy buck, the bead sight on your 12 gauge, 26" vent ribbed Remington 870 is lined up and you are ready to launch a heavy load of big buckshot. Is it ethical? Why or why not? o_O

Remington 870.jpg

You have a 60 yard shot at a large trophy buck, the patridge sights of your 10mm XDM are lined up and you are ready to launch a 180 grain bullet. Is it ethical? Why or why not? :confused:

!0mm XDM.jpg

All three of the examples I cited, (.38 WCF rifle, 12 gauge with large buckshot and 10mm pistol), are legal for deer in Washington State. o_O
Legal and ethical are two completely different things.
It's also legal to sell something for double its value to someone who doesn't know better. Doesn't make it ethical.

Sure since I really like buckhorn sights...it would ethical , but I am not sure if it is a legal method here in Washington.
Andy

All three of the examples I cited, (.38 WCF rifle, 12 gauge with large buckshot and 10mm pistol), are legal for deer in Washington State. o_O

Legal and ethical are two completely different things.

My response above did not in any way equate "legal" and "ethical."

Now back to the question of "...'ethical' distance for shooting big game."

Last Edited:
You have a 60 yard shot at a large trophy buck, the buckhorn sights of your 38 WCF lever action are lined up and you are ready to launch a 180 grain bullet with a case full of FFFg. Is it ethical? Why or why not? :confused:

You have a 60 yard shot at a large trophy buck, the bead sight on your 12 gauge, 26" vent ribbed Remington 870 is lined up and you are ready to launch a heavy load of big buckshot. Is it ethical? Why or why not? o_O

You have a 60 yard shot at a large trophy buck, the patridge sights of your 10mm XDM are lined up and you are ready to launch a 180 grain bullet. Is it ethical? Why or why not? :confused:

Now back to the question of "...'ethical' distance for shooting big game."
Say what?

I prefer to limit myself to how far and from where I want to drag it. Anyone that is comfortable shooting an animal a 1/2 mile away across impassable terrain and can drag it back to camp alone on the same day, I won't argue with. Heck, I'd bring the beer. :p

Being a varmint Hunter and practicing long range with your hunting rifle gains experience. Rocky mountain elk are always on the other side of the drainage. To be a good shot you need to shoot a lot. To shoot a lot you have to reload or get a second job.

I did not say that the two are equal ...yet you quoted me along with another forum member , who also mentions the difference between the two terms.

I did say that it was ethical...but that I wasn't sure if that cartridge was legal for use in Washington.
So Yeah I know the difference.

I again say that given the example of using the .38-40 cartridge out of a Winchester rifle at 60 yards ...then again I would say yes I would take the shot.

While I haven't taken a deer with this rifle and cartridge combo...I have shot both a model 1873 and 1892
( both originals , with black powder loads ) enough to know that it will work for the shot.
For me , and my experience with antique arms and loads , it would be a ethical shot..Now having just looked at the Washington state game regulations , I know it to be a legal one as well.

As for the shotgun with buckshot...no, for me.
I do not have enough experience with buckshot and big game to hunt with it...
The same for the handgun example.
Andy

Last Edited:
In another thread regarding the 6.5 Creedmoor vs. the .308 in a rifle, I brought up the point that at the distances where the 6.5 starts to really outshine the .308 in performance, it was a moot point since trying to take big game at those distances was unethical.

My point was that the goal of every hunter should be quick, efficient, and humane kills. Most of my deer, elk, antelope, etc. have been at 300yds or less.

In my family, taking longer shots meant that you were either too lazy to properly stalk the animal, or not skilled enough to get closer, or that things just didn't work out.

My longest shot was at a deer at 550yds. I hit it in the spine and dropped it instantly. It was too far, IMHO.

I've seen animals spook and bolt for no particular reason.

When you are shooting at distances greater than 400-500yds, you are allowing too many variables into the equation to ensure a clean, quick, and humane shot.

At least that's my opinion.

Thoughts?
When I hunt it is at "Maximum Point Blank Range" .

What is "Maximum Point Blank Range" Hunting?

If the game is outside that range I don't pull the trigger. End of story. I would
never want to wound or cripple one of God's creatures because of my carelessness
or arrogance.

Also using laser range finders, thermal cameras, shooting at game at extreme ranges, etc.
gives the anti-hunters, anti-gunners, etc. "ammo' if you will. That's why its called Hunting
rather than Shooting.

If I bag game with a muzzle loader, with an open ignition, with open sights, a lead patched ball,
by stalking to say 40-50 paces , that to me is Hunting.

Its just part of the ongoing corruption of our society in that "getting" is more important than
the "experience". Personally I prefer the "experience".

Sorry abut the rant; I guess the coffee is kicking in...

Longbeard

Say what?

Exactly what I said in response to what AndyinEverson said.
I did not say that the two are equal ...yet you quoted me along with another forum member , who also mentions the difference between the two terms.

I did say that it was ethical...but that I wasn't sure if that cartridge was legal for use in Washington.
So Yeah I know the difference.

I again say that given the example of using the .38-40 cartridge out of a Winchester rifle at 60 yards ...then again I would say yes I would take the shot.

While I haven't taken a deer with this rifle and cartridge combo...I have shot both a model 1873 and 1892
( both originals , with black powder loads ) to know that it will work for the shot.
For me , and my experience with antique arms and loads , it would be a ethical shot..Now having just looked at the Washington state game regulations , I know it to be a legal one as well.

As for the shotgun with buckshot...no, for me.
I do not have enough experience with buckshot and big game to hunt with it...
The same for the handgun example.
Andy

Andy, neither you nor I conflated the terms legal or ethical. I quoted you only to note that my response on legality had been in response to your post. Apparently x2ndxall could not see that.

More later.

Exactly what I said in response to what AndyinEverson said.

Andy, neither you nor I conflated the terms legal or ethical. I quoted you only to note that my response on legality had been in response to your post. Apparently x2ndxall could not see that.

More later.
K, thanks. But you needn't bother, really. I don't need an explanation. I was just wasting time replying.
Have fun:s0162:

It was a .338 Snipetac. 300 grn bullet at about 3300 fps, so 2.5ish seconds of flight time. That may be too long for you to be comfortable with but how can you tell anyone else what they should do?

Everything else is just numbers. Wind etc is just data. If you have the skills or equipment to correctly input that data, how can anyone say what is too far to be ethical? My BIL has a G7 rangefinder matched with his Snipetac. I think you would be amazed how easy it is to shoot eld with that setup.
I agree the few of us that tend to shoot farther. Spend more time on our rifles our gear and our training to do it. I don't think many people spend 600 bucks on a kestrel or a ballistic range finder or even 3000.00 on a rifle and cartrage capable of taking big game out to 1000 yards. People telling me I shouldn't sound like the same people telling I shouldn't have a gun. I shoot a 6.5x284 Norma , 26 nosler and a 300 win mag. I know what my gun does at every step out to a 1000 yards. I don't believe most hunters complaining know what there gun does much out past 100 yards or what is 1 moa or 1 mil at 1000. Long range shooters and hunters know there equipment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top