JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks, I guess this is a good place for this. What do you take when you go shooting firearms wise? Do you bring a single weapon and work on that one, or do you bring the entire armory?

As I have just started acquiring firearms again, I bring them all. and try to give every one some trigger time. Id say the m4 gets the most, simply due to having 12 mags and alot of 556. The rest is split between my USP 40 and P30 and now, my 1911.

Usually what's newest gets my attention. After that its training/practice: Do I need trigger time with my carry piece? HD pistol? Does my optic/sights need to be zeroed?

Then its fun; do I just want to dump a 33-rounder as fast as I can using my off-hand unsupported? And finally if its something I haven't shot in a while and wish to take if for a stroll so to speak.

I' need a bigger truck to bring them all out shooting :cool: I usually bring 4-6 out at a time along with 2 buddies that bring 4-6 as well usually takes about 5-6 hours to get through em all but we manage to get by :s0155:

If its an indoor ill usually bring my p226 (or whatever I'm carrying the time). My 22 pistol and 22 rifle. Then one fun gin like the 44mag or 10mm or 357mag.

If its an outdoor range then ill usually bring em all and just pick what I want out of the truck at the range. Maybe even switch it up. But I have 3 long guns and 5 pistols so its not to much anyways

I always take the the two pistols I use for daily carry. Each of them gets 50 rounds a week to maintain proficiency (Different firing positions, mag changes, etc.). If I have lots of time I'll also take my S&W 22A for some fun, cheap shooting.

On the rifle side I always take the Remington 700 in 30-06 for some long range shooting proficiency, the Savage .223 Rem for proficiency. For fun shooting I take the M-1 Garand and a Savage Mark II in .22LR.

Yeah, I take about half my firearms to the range with me.

I take my house. But then my range is in my back yard. In the off chance I travel to a range it is usually to shoot with others so I pick things that are less common that most people dont normally get to shoot.

What I bring really depends on how I'm feeling that day. If I feel like blowing through a bunch of ammo on the cheap, .22's are what I bring. If I feel I need to put some rounds through my carry/home defense arms, then they're definitely coming along. If I really want to have fun then the shotgun and lots of pigeons get packed up.

Like I said, it really depends on what I feel like that day :D. Great thread by the way.

I practice almost exclusively with the guns I use for self defense. That means my three carry guns and my AR for the most part. If I'm doing something new or working on a new skill, I work with the gun most appropriate. For instance I've been working on my revolver skills lately, particularly speed reloads and failure drills.

It's a decent drive to the range for me, or I'd probably plink more.

Starting at pragmatic and finishing with fun:

I never take just one, and I am never completely unloaded.

I never take more than I can carry out of the woods just in case my truck breaks down. If there's more than one vehicle involved, and it's been awhile, then it sometimes boils down to how many pieces I feel like cleaning over the next 2-3 nights.

If I have something new to try (weapon, round, optic, magazine, sight adjustment) that's the primary reason I'm going.

I often take what friends want to try - their first go at a particular caliber, semi-auto/wheel gun/lever action, pistol/rifle, thrown clays, etc.

Always a 22 or two. Encourages friendly rivalries (and frivolous wagers) over ridiculous trick shots. Too, there's something to be said about rattling off a couple hundred extra rounds for the price of a Guinness.

I don't like leaving weapons in a vehicle where they might be subject to a break in. So, if my truck/car isn't right there with me, I only take what I can carry including all the other crap like earmuffs, rest, etc. .22s always included since that is the only gun I can shoot for hours without going broke.

Not sure if this topic has spun off the primary point but thought I would throw in. Went Kayaking a while back and had to shuttle rigs. I asked the person I was kayaking with what she did with her conceal carry. I carried mine in my boat as I had a hatch. She had a small safe mounted in her truck behind the back seat. She made the point that even if she were going out or leaving her rig for a while she would store her CCW or extra cash for safe keeping. Made simple sense that break-ins are quick and not going to spend much effort on safe removal/access. So pick up a 70$ safe and bolt it somewhere out of the way. Does not fix the rifle issue but simple. If you are in the woods with a breakdown just hide your valuables a short hike away. Use a trashbag and extra clothes to wrap it in and make a map. S-bags generally just want a quick find. You might even leave it unlocked with a note saying so to save you a window.

For me it depends on the purpose, who I am shooting with and where I am going. Going with my wife, it's pistols, my level action and my 22 rifle. When I went with my brother to get him familiar with his new 1911 I took my Glock with me and my Mosin-Nagant as I though he'd get a kick out of it which he did literally and figuratively. The only gun that always goes with me are my 22 rifle and my wife's Buckmark. Cheap and easy to shoot and always fun.

Now, non-shooting related.

I take my small "go bag" which has a few knives, flashlight, multi-tool, extensive first aid kit, TP, hand sanitizer and many other useful odds and ends.
At least one water bottle and typically the bladder is filled in the go bag
Snacks
Garbage bags
Small bags for picking up spent casings
Tool kit

If I am going into the woods, add to that list
Shovel
Axe
Tow strap
Shackles
Choker stap
Folding chair
Folding table
Cooler
A couple of gallons of water (especially if it's fire season)

Well yesterday I took my nephew and his sons and Bro in law shooting.
I took 5 22s,3 357s,1 shotgun,and an AR . 22s and 357s were rifles and pistols
And they had 2 other shotguns.

I usually take at least a couple 22s for some fun,or to fill in while the hunting rifle is cooling. I'll take just 1 or 2 if there is something to test.

But I live 20 minutes from an outdoor range.I don't work,so going shooting isn't a big chore.

Now when I was in the puget sound metropolis,I would always have 15+- guns and 2000 rounds in the truck.
I would here those news reports saying "A man was stopped today with 6 guns and 1000 round in his car!!!"
I always said that sounds like a good day of shooting,wonder what they would say if they pulled me over.

I see the one thing I am really lacking is a 22. I do have an old Winchester single shot, bolt action 22 but the barrel was pretty rusty when I got it and I don't think its safe right now. I was thinking of picking up a Sig mosquito but I figure for the price of that I could get a case of 45 acp for the 1911

I see the one thing I am really lacking is a 22. I do have an old Winchester single shot, bolt action 22 but the barrel was pretty rusty when I got it and I don't think its safe right now. I was thinking of picking up a Sig mosquito but I figure for the price of that I could get a case of 45 acp for the 1911

My Mosquito has a sucky trigger pull.I didn't even take that out this weekend
I'll probably sell it off at the show next weekend

My Mosquito has a sucky trigger pull.I didn't even take that out this weekend
I'll probably sell it off at the show next weekend

yeah, I keep hearing mixed reviews on them. I may stick to shooting the 1911 for pleasure although it will be more expensive in the long run.

yeah, I keep hearing mixed reviews on them. I may stick to shooting the 1911 for pleasure although it will be more expensive in the long run.

You have the right idea in purchasing a .22 pistol you just picked the wrong pistol. 22/45 or Browning Buckmark are the way to go. Maybe even the SR22 or M&P 22. Had a Mosquito and loved the controls; hated the DA trigger, expensive mags, and reliability issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top