JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got a crayon box full of stuff. I mostly use the screwdriver.
full.jpg

Got a crayon box full of stuff. I mostly use the screwdriver.
View attachment 540178
Seeing your Craftsman screwdriver I'm recalling the hassles I'm having with a Saber Saw that are are trying to get repaired. Of course, they don't repair them locally and it's taking them 10 days to 2 weeks to get a pick-up label to us. I guess they're having trouble finding parts for a saw I purchased for my Dad's Christmas present in 1964!:eek::eek::eek:

Go figure!:rolleyes:

I keep the following:

Both a metric and standard Allen wrenches set.
An AR15 tool kit which includes a small screwdriver set.
A broken shell extractor for both my AR and one for my M14.
Otis cleaning kit
A conventional rod based cleaning kit for my AR
A small bottle of EWL lube.
A spare BCG
Gas ring set and extractor rebuild kit too for my AR.

Man - reading this list. I'm woefully unprepared. Only a leathermen in my pocket and a bottle of lube in the range bag. All the other tools are at home where I would take care of something there. I would say that if I was going on an extended trip I would have tools to deal with common potential issues, but when the range is 30 minutes away, it's just not something I have done.

Man - reading this list. I'm woefully unprepared. Only a leathermen in my pocket and a bottle of lube in the range bag. All the other tools are at home where I would take care of something there. I would say that if I was going on an extended trip I would have tools to deal with common potential issues, but when the range is 30 minutes away, it's just not something I have done.
You might want to re-think things unless "you are one of those"! By that,I mean one of those that goes to the Range, maybe with only one gun and 50 or so rounds of ammo,and never ever had a single problem. Now is the time for you to be able to FEEL the hatered coming off ALL of the members and visitors here!!!:mad: Either that or that or the ENVY!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You might want to re-think things unless "you are one of those"! By that,I mean one of those that goes to the Range, maybe with only one gun and 50 or so rounds of ammo,and never ever had a single problem. Now is the time for you to be able to FEEL the hatered coming off ALL of the members and visitors here!!!:mad: Either that or that or the ENVY!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can't say I don't experience problems. Had a squid in my sig 938 one time, felt it happen. Didn't shoot the next round. Took an aluminum chrony arm pole and used it to gently tap it out of the barrel. But beyond that what types of problems are people experiencing that they want to tool around with their firearms at the range, I don't know.

Leatherman is a general all purpose handy tool that can be used to address several situations. Lube handles many firearm problems as well.

Beyond that, there are only so many things that can go wrong at the range that I actually want to address at the range instead of back at the house which is generally a better environment to deal with those situations.

Don't get me wrong. Tools are absolutely necessary, and it's not bad to have them on hand. Generally when I go to the range though it's firearms, ammo, and whatever accessories I may be using. Last place I want to be dinking around with any small pieces are at the range. Far better to do it at the house where if one drops you know it's at least in the house and you just need to spend the time to find it.

I also may be using firearms that generally require less maintenance than others, I don't know. There is only so much maintenance a Glock or an AR require and if it can't be fixed with lube or cleaning, it's probably more than I would want to address at the range.

I will admit that I generally always go to the range with an assortment, so in the random chance something happened that made a firearm unable to be used the rest of the range trip, there would be others that would suffice until the problem was corrected later.

In general, I agree with you, but just take a look at the other Posts above and you'll see that you are very much in the minority.:)

I understand. There were some well equipped tool boxes. If I was going out into the woods for the whole day, or if I was going hunting and wanted to make sure if something happened it could be fixed. I'd want to have some tools on hand.

Bag, pistol size, contains:
Targets/pasters/tape
Staple gun/staples
Chamber flags
Oil/Solvent in 2 oz needle bottles
Short pistol rods
Shot timer (if anticipated)
Patchworm device
Pistol sized wood dowel
Nylon-brass hammer/brass+neoprene punches
Needle nose pliers
Pencils/markers/notebook
2'x2' piece of soft leather to spread out on bench
30 db Earmuffs
Plastic sandwich bags for brass
Rag
Surgical size scissors
Optical paper/fluid
Safety glasses
Baby butt wipes
Compact binocs
Magazines/speedloaders
Pocket flask (just kidding)
Any firearm-specific tool potentially needed that day for that firearm (such as an AR front sight tool)

Small plastic divided box within the range bag contains all the little stuff:
Small Brownell's (not to be confused with Harbor Fright) driver bits/LEO pattern short driver
Small sized Allens/Torx (no need for large)
Various jags/various patches
SAA cylinder removal tool
M16 cleaning brush/various bore brushes
Toothpicks/long reach cotton swabs
6" ruler
Disposable ear plugs
Batteries for electronic optics

Usually if a firearm goes down, that's it, I just grab another. I don't like monkeying around with repairs when shooting. Repairs demand a good space with light, heat, a real bench, a full complement of tools/parts and a good vise, so the problem can be fixed and fixed right. I think you do need a decent field kit so you can address minor problems or make needed adjustments to your sights.

Firearms, ammo, spotting scope, sandbags, and long rods are carried separately from the range bag in dedicated cases. The vehicle has a decent tool kit if needed. The blackpowder kit is a completely separate deal in a dedicated bag.

I can't count the times someone at the range has been SOL, until they borrowed something from my range bag. It amazes me how many guys show up without staple guns, a simple set screwdriver bits, ear plugs or the like. Sometimes, alll I can do is shake my head.

Last Edited:
This three tier tackle box has been traveling with me for close to 30 years - and has bailed out many a fellow shooter with the assortment of tools, cleaning supplies & other junk in it. Its due for another clean out soon!
IMG_1349[1].JPG

I keep the following:

Both a metric and standard Allen wrenches set.
An AR15 tool kit which includes a small screwdriver set.
A broken shell extractor for both my AR and one for my M14.
Otis cleaning kit
A conventional rod based cleaning kit for my AR
A small bottle of EWL lube.
A spare BCG
Gas ring set and extractor rebuild kit too for my AR.

I have the Multitasker Series 3 multitool:

MULTITASKER SERIES 3 | Multitasker

I bought it years ago now and I do not know how much I paid.

Looks like SKD Tactical has them:

Multitasker Series3 AR-15 / M4 Multitasker Tool

Last Edited:
I learned the embarrassing way how not to try field fixes way out in the middle of nowhere unless I think things through which I usually do not. One part that comes to mind is that pesky late type USGI M1 Carbine trigger housing pin. Worn Carbines. Loose pins. When showing the grand kids how NOT to field strip and completely clean the USGI M1 Carbine, that trigger housing pin always falls out and gets instantly lost somewhere.

The kids look up at grand pa as is saying ... WTF? Embarrassing. So ... it gets turned into a lesson on what not to do in the field and what extra spare parts to always carry when you are having fun doing something you should not be doing. I turned it into a learning lesson. Seemed to work. I would never tell the kids grand dad screwed up big time. Oh no. Never that. But ... I think they still know what really happened. Smart kids. :) :)

Leatherman with full bit set. If I can't get it done with that, I'll put the gun away and shoot another.

The range bag is otherwise full of ammo, mag loaders, hearing protection, 2 pair of safety classes, staple gun, small targets, tape, sharpie, cleaning cloth, gloves, more ammo, and maybe some pistol mags. I probably should put some kind of lube in there tool

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top