JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have tools. Lots of tools. I do a lot of woodworking and am a fix it myself kinda guy. So I can almost always scrounge up a needed tool from around my house. But not at the range or when I am in the woods.

I also know that sometime having tools dedicated to shooting, ie allen wrenches, torx, standard / phillips screwdrivers etc. would be beneficial.

The only gun tools I have are reloading things, plus all the roll pin punches anyone could need.

Yesterday I got half way to the shooting spot and had to turn around because I did not have a torx wrench in my range bag. What do you all carry in your range bag for tools? I was thinking about getting some more Grace USA tools (for torx and allen). But then I thought, if it is going to be in my shooting bag maybe I should get one with a changeable tip...

Curious what you all use (both type and brand).

I keep some cheap Allen sets in my range bag as well as some small (very small) and normal sized flatblade screwdrivers. Beyond that not too much, if I'm having an issue that those tools cannot fix at the range then I'll head home.

I have a tool box for firearms that I put in the rig along with my range bag(s).

Inside toolbox:

Glock tool
Allen wrenches specific to scopes/sights
Gunsmith screwdrivers
A shaft for dislodging squibs
A hammer for squib shaft
Red's synthetic gun lube
Silicon treated gun cloth
Extra hearing protectors
Ear plugs
Cleaning snake
Other stuff I can't remember ;):)

Edit:
Xtra springs (various)
Extra safety glasses
Wood block
lens cloth
toothbrush
cleaning patches
small Leatherman tool (the one with the scissors)
Batteries, misc

Last Edited:
I have a tool box for firearms that I put in the rig along with my range bag(s).

Inside toolbox:

Glock tool
Allen wrenches specific to scopes/sights
Gunsmith screwdrivers
A shaft for dislodging squibs
A hammer for squib shaft
Red's synthetic gun lube
Silicon treated gun cloth
Extra hearing protectors
Ear plugs
Cleaning snake
Other stuff I can't remember ;):)
...and some Windex if you shoot corrosive stuff.

A good set of Gunsmith Screwdrivers...I use "Grace"...or take an old high quality screwdriver and re-shape the tip to fit a specific slot.
Also a good set of brass punches to adjust sights...and a nylon headed hammer.
Andy

I carried cheap Wheeler set for years. Range rod can be handy. Various rags , lube, snakes, brushes, oh yeah extra ammo, list is endless.

Mostly a 2nd gun will obviate need for more tools;)

I'm kinda like @bbbass . Buddy once said to me, "I love going shooting with you because you come organized and prepared." If only I felt that way. You never have what you need when you need it.

I have an old gym bag. In it, you'll find:

Red cased Bit Set from Harbor Freight ($8, has every torx and hex bit you could want.)
Ratcheting bit driver
Cleaning set + extra patches (will cover rifles, pistols and black powder)
Altoid box with jags, etc.
Some trash toothbrushes
Butch's Bore Clean, Mpro 7 and CLP
A handful of rags in a ziploc bag
2 Spanner wrenches (micro and small)
plastic tub full of ear plugs
Vinyl gloves to protect hands from chemicals
2 sets of ear muffs
3 sets of safety glasses
extra pair of cheaters
Flashlight
Stapler & Staples
4"Ø Target stickers

In the car:
My Gate Pass if not going to Wolf Creek
Aluminum rod for dislodging stuck cases
A hammer for squib shaft (leather tooling hammer)
Extra red cased HF hex bit set
Misc toolbox
Target cardboard
White target backing
Wood Stakes
Folding table **
** One of these days, I'll get a folding chair to put in there too.

On Me:
EDC Knife
Leatherman Wave

I do not bring stuff for disassembly. If my gun needs to be disassembled or adjusted, I retire it for the day, and then shoot another one. I usually bring more guns than I can shoot in the allotted time.
With the gun that needs work, I fix it on the workbench where I have a vise and containers to properly organize parts, springs, etc.

I'd suggest ego on-line and go to the Brownells.com eyesight they have an incredible amount of Gunsmithing tools. They have individual screwdriver handles and bits that you can pick out individually that are standard and Phillips head, torx, plus many that for the special security type heads. They even sell plastic cases to hold the tools. They also sell sets for things like the screws on S&Ws. They have punches in many sizes plus soft and hard hammers. I think their paper catalog is still available for $5.00 but it's best if you purchase it with your first order. Once you get the catalog you can sit down and pick out what you want.

Hope this helps.:):):)

Long ago started keeping Allen set in both Metric and SAE, couple small screw drivers, and a set of Torx. All are just cheapo folders bought off Amazon since they are seldom used, only there "in case". Nothing more frustrating than packing up to head to the range then need something like this and not have it. I have the same stuff at home in the cleaning kit, made by name brand co's. The stuff in the range bag in only for a quick need.

I carried cheap Wheeler set for years. Range rod can be handy. Various rags , lube, snakes, brushes, oh yeah extra ammo, list is endless.

Mostly a 2nd gun will obviate need for more tools;)

Yup. But I keep ammo in my range bag... lots of it.

2nd gun is not allowed in IDPA competition. You shoot with the same gun... get a malfunction you better be able to fix it right away. Can get a reshoot. If not you're done for the day. :oops::(

I have two range bags (one for ammo, timer, rulebook, pen, & spent brass, one for pistol/mags/glasses/holsters/belt) that I take with me along with toolbox to meets. If just going to shoot on my own or with a friend, I also take a large tub that has targets, stapler, push pins, shooting bags, Tannerite, etc.

properly organize parts, springs, etc.

Organized is good! I know where everything is supposed to be, and I put it back in the same place every time... that way when I need it I can just reach for it. Drives my wife nuts... her habit of putting things any ol place drives me nuts.

Extensive tools, gages, spare parts and the means to change them out in the field. Multiple spares of parts I have lost in the tall grass trying some sort of field fix when I should have thought things through a little bit better. :) The "Possibles" range bag gets bigger and bigger. Usually the contents are for only the firearms to be employed at the private shale quarry range that day. Sometimes not. Separate bags for "possibles" and mags and ammo.

I've always found that a hammer has proved to be the most useful tool. I have a short handled hammer with a full sized head that fits in my bag easily. I try not to bring too much cr@p when I go shooting as I'm already loaded up with various guns, adequate ammo, table, shovels, rakes, trash bags and other implements of destruction as well. Usually I just bring along my M60 and M16 cleaning rods, a couple of screwdrivers, rags and some Lucas gun oil. If one of my guns goes down while in the field and it can't be quickly remedied, I will just put it away and fix it when I get home. I'm out there to shoot, not wrench.

My range bag is bit different than most...:D
Here is all you need to shoot round ball with a flintlock...
A bag and horn , with powder...
Round Ball...
Flints...
Patches...
For tools I have :
A powder measure...
A vent pick...
Turnscrew / flint knapper...
Cleaning "worm" / patch puller...

just posting this for fun...as in its fun to see how times have changed what one carries in their range bag...:D
Andy
DSC06034.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews