JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
NIB means unfired (aside from proofing at the factory), and with all appearance of a new gun.
(A gun that was manufactured years ago, never fired, may understandably show wear and tear of storage on the box: certainly a pristine box may be valued more than a shopworn one, but the gun should be pristine if advertised as NIB).

Careful handling does not negate advertisement of the gun as NIB. An "unhandled" gun can only be verified by all factory seals still intact on the carton, and such should be listed as a selling point (but may or may not garner addtional value).

LNIB or ANIB means the gun has been fired (by a consumer) and still retains all appearance of a new gun.

In either case, all acoutrements as supplied by the factory should be present in the box with the gun (manuals, accessories, tools, etc.).

A few years ago, I came in posession of a modern '94 Carbine in .44 Magnum from an estate. The gun was perfectly pristine, aside from having upgraded (Ghost Ring) sights installed (factory buckhorns came separate with the gun).

Having no need for it, I took it to the Portland show shortly after the Winchester factory folded, and asked a premium (but not hysteria-gouge) price for it. A dealer bought it for the asking price.

Making my "second round" of the show about two hours later, I happened by his table again. Here was the gun, in a factory box, buckhorns re-installed, advertised as "New in Box". (Serial number on the box was conveniently "smudged" to a somewhat believable degree to the unsuspecting.) Having this box in his posession was the explanation for why he did not dicker on my reasonable price for a gun that was "Like New".

Having time to kill, and attending gun shows primarily for recreation anyway, I made it my sworn duty to remain near his table and (not so discreetly) inform any potential purchaser of the gun's true history as I knew it. I'd look the dealer right in the eye immediately after each "whisper" (audible to anyone nearby) in the ear of all potential buyers. He fumed, but could say nothing.

Eventually, the gun sold to one of my happily educated potential buyers for not much more than I had sold it for----and he got the box, and insisted on the Ghost Ring sight too! The proud new owner sought me out at the show and told me the whole comical story of the bargain.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads