JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The first mile on a new car makes it a used car.
The first time you remove anything else from the box makes it used.
If I'm not the first one to put fingerprints on the gun, it's a used gun no matter how shiny.

These are my rules, I make them up. :cool:

You're a Wisenheimer. -I like that in a person:p

I've seen it commonly at gun shops, present and past.. the gun is being pimped as brand new (heck, they just came out with this gat a couple weeks ago for heavens sake so of course it's new! lol slap) and it is obviously fouled.. one thousand times fouled.

Almost as obnoxious as unscrupulous people trying to represent an item as new if its not are the people who don't understand that all guns are test fired at the factory. I can't remember how many times I've had a customer argue with me that a gun is used because it shows evidence of being fired. Below is pretty close to an actual conversation I've had several times.

Yes, it was fired at the factory.
So, its a used gun?
No, they have to fire it so they can include a spent casing.
So, its used. Do you have any new ones?

At that point you just slap your forehead with your palm. Easier to just agree with them some days...

Almost as obnoxious as unscrupulous people trying to represent an item as new if its not are the people who don't understand that all guns are test fired at the factory. I can't remember how many times I've had a customer argue with me that a gun is used because it shows evidence of being fired. Below is pretty close to an actual conversation I've had several times.

So, its a used gun?

At that point you just slap your forehead with your palm. Easier to just agree with them some days...

Sorry but I do not want a gun that was not tested at the factory. I want to see that spent casing in there and know that they function tested it before I put my money down. If buying a new gun I expect them to have tested it so they cannot blame me for some misfire the first time I shoot it.

I have called a gun NIB when I sold it. Maybe a couple but those have been guns I bought for the wife and she did not like the size or feel of them. I learned a while ago not to buy without her but in those cases I did say in the add "Only fired once by manufacturer".
If someone wants to argue that it makes it used I would want to slap them not myself. I also knock it down a bit aside from when I came across 2 pmr 30s at regular price. Bought both and shot one with the wife. I saw no reason to shoot the wifes gun since she did not care for shooting mine. I sold it as I said above but did end up making money as I started with wanting to trade and had offers of 200 more than I paid.

If it makes me a jerk so be it but the extra 150 I ended up with and the guy feeling like he got a steal at 625 did not make me lose any sleep as he came up with the number not me.

So, its a used gun?

All guns are test fired at the factory. They are not worn out hunks a crap thereby though. what?

All guns are test fired at the factory. They are not worn out hunks a crap thereby though. what?

They all are but as Mountainbear said a lot of folks think they are just assembled and then shipped. If test fired it is used in their mind. Just stupidity and likely have never bought a new gun since they all come with a spent casing when new.
Even a new one from the dealer has likely been handled by a dozen or more people and dry fired. Sitting out on display a lot of folks just go into the shops to play with them and not enough money to buy even if they wanted to. They are all pawed. Some less so but most dealers allow anyone that walks in to play with them.

Most new guns I have bought have fingerprints on them from people messing with them at the store. I just clean it and hope it was not played with and dry fired too much.

Yeah, That is a given to see a gun you like at a shop listed as new and look in the slide and bore and see it covered in powder. It is pretty obvious when it is more than one test bullet worth of destruction to a gun. People buy them and do not care or know any better.

Wow. The tire kickers are very critical. For many folks like me that really do trade firearms regularly, LNIB as a way to say his used gun remains truly perfect, is a very useful description. Further, for those of us that trade guns regularly, and are experienced with guns, when we see a gun described as unfired, we know it means it was purchased and not fired since it left the factory. But as quickly as someone says unfired, the flakes are there to remind everybody that the statement is horse-feathers, because it was fired at the factory.

The serious traders do know what to look for.:D

WAYNO.

Yeah I believe you do but a lot of folks have no idea that a revolver is not locking up as tight as it should or a semi should be pulled apart to get a good look. They just take the shop owners or private seller/traders word for it.
Just sucks that you have to be at least slightly educated in all guns to not get ripped off by the few people that are willing to sell crap to someone who does not know better. Then when you do know better the excuses start pouring out. At this point in my life I just turn and walk away without saying anything. I used to get upset for them wasting my time but now it is just par for the course in trading and buying.

Wow. The tire kickers are very critical. For many folks like me that really do trade firearms regularly, LNIB as a way to say his used gun remains truly perfect, is a very useful description. Further, for those of us that trade guns regularly, and are experienced with guns, when we see a gun described as unfired, we know it means it was purchased and not fired since it left the factory. But as quickly as someone says unfired, the flakes are there to remind everybody that the statement is horse-feathers, because it was fired at the factory.

The serious traders do know what to look for.:D Untrustable sellers and unreliable trader-sites quickly come to the surface. The two prominent gun and gun trader forums in this area are not high on my list of reliable. I guess that's why the uneducated buyers are so distrustful here.

WAYNO.
WAYNO, that's great. No one is even talking about like.. LNIB (what a lol that is). new is new, not like

Yes I had a friend come with me to look at an AR since I had no knowledge of them. Did not take long to figure out my buddy just did not want to admit when I asked if he knew ARs well that he knew about as much as me.
He offered his "help" and it seemed like it made me look like a fool as well for trusting him on knowing guns well. That was a while ago but I will never stop bringing up his great knowledge of rifles at every poker game and anywhere else i can. It was really embarrassing to say I was bringing a guy that I said knew the platform well and then walk away knowing I would have been better off on my own.

I do not get people that claim to be a gun expert or even "knowledgeable" and then prove themselves to be fools. I would rather say "I do not have a clue" than go for a ride and know I am lying to a friend about my mass amounts of knowledge.

If you mean the AR it was far from new but it did function well. After the initial embarrassment my buddy brought to the table it was still well below what I saw the Ruger sr556 going for online and it still works perfectly.

After talking to the guy a while he seemed trustworthy and I have bought from him a few times since. That was all I had to go on at that point. If he seemed like a scam artist or not. Luckily I judged him correctly. It was a guess and I could have been out 1200 bucks if it was a POS.
It sucks when you are buying and have no clue about the platform but do not want to pay 1800 new.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top