JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We have an old Chevy truck, 1995 that my wife got brand new way back when. She loves it and babied it and was always serviced completely. It has low miles and looks pretty good. She listed it on CL for about 3K over KBB value (I think hoping nobody would buy it).

Today a family came over with a driving-age young boy who was looking for his first vehicle. The dad is a mechanic and sings the truck's praises. They drove it, he loved, said they wanted it, and now time for the price. Mom asks, "How much?" We tell our price. She asks, "Is that your lowest price?" We say, "Well, we can talk about it." She looks at her boy and tells him to talk to us about the price. He says, "I don't care, that's fine." She turns to us and says, "I guess that's the price, then." Dad stays silent. Since the negotiation (if you can call it that) was going so well for us, we just stay silent, too.

The price was definitely aggressive and we were expecting to go down. So what in the world is his family teaching their son about the value of his money and the necessity of negotiation in life? We were just bowled over. It's not our responsibility to give a discount if not asked. Just a few techniques would have worked for them, but not a single one was tried.

Shouldn't parents teach these things through example?

Maybe they are teaching him a different lesson? I know my first car purchase my parent let me handle it, it was my money. Guy didnt budge on the price so I paid full for it. I was happy with the deal, he was happy with the deal and everyone walked away with what they wanted. Next week when the kid wants a new stereo parents may bring up the fact he didn't haggle. Or maybe they will be happy and enjoy it.

One more thing, if it's his money the parents maybe letting make his choice? My brother was like this, you could tell him the sky was blue and he would argue with you. It got to the point wherey parents had to let him make his own mistakes. It took him a few years, he figured things out and is bow one of the most greatful and giving people I know.

I've found that many people these days no longer appreciate the fine art of haggling. Oh well- that's good for the sellers I guess.
It does take some of the fun out of buying used stuff though.

Mom asks, "How much?" We tell our price. She asks, "Is that your lowest price?" We say, "Well, we can talk about it." She looks at her boy and tells him to talk to us about the price. He says, "I don't care, that's fine." She turns to us and says, "I guess that's the price, then." Dad stays silent.

Sounds like mom is used to garage sale haggling. Kid didn't care, but then was he really paying for it with money he earned? Dad had a chance to tell the kid what it was worth before the money talk but didn't. Did you get their name and phone number? You could call them next time you have something to sell.;)

I mowed a lot of lawns to pay for my first car and pay it's insurance when I was 16.
I haggled with a neighbor for two weeks trying to get his Fiat Abarth 600d within my budget of $125.00.
He finally relented and boy I sure wish I still had that cool little car. It was a blast to drive.

Here's a pic of what it looked like.

picture%20028.jpg

Damn! I'm thinkin' you shoulda' given me a shot at it! If it was a nice as you say I would of offered you less! :)

I mowed a lot of lawns to pay for my first car and pay it's insurance when I was 16.
I haggled with a neighbor for two weeks trying to get his Fiat Abarth 600d within my budget of $125.00.
He finally relented and boy I sure wish I still had that cool little car. It was a blast to drive.

Here's a pic of what it looked like.

View attachment 303607

Ooooooo, "Chick Magnet"

I got no emoticons here!!!! WHAAAAAA.

Some people just aren't negotiators - it's entirely possible the parents aren't skilled in the art of negotiation, so they have no skills to pass along to their kid. Too bad too, because folks like that are likely to be taken advantage of. I don't see any reason to drop the price if they don't ask. Knowing the value of what you're buying is an important part of the deal too - if the price was high, then they may not have done their research first.

I'm not great at negotiating, but I can do it. My sister is a master at it. I try to do my research before I meet someone. I also try to get a feel for whether or not the person I'm talking to is willing to negotiate. If someone says their price is 'firm', I usually leave it at that, though I may ask nicely if they'll go lower. If someone offers a lower price to me, I'll be nice and say 'no' if my price is firm.

For me I learned a long time ago to never get so emotionally invested in a potential purchase (or a sale) as to not be able to walk away if I'm not getting the deal I want. The hardest one was walking away from a deal on a house that we really wanted, but the price was way too high, so we walked - and ended up in a better home.

But you're right @CHLChris, negotiating is an important skill. Hopefully this kid will learn it somewhere else if his parents are unable to teach him.

The trick is to ask for the lower price and then...wait for it...give them a chance to respond with a lower price. The mom asked for the lower price and then changed the subject.

I'm surmising from other details that a 3rd party was paying (like a relative) and he didn't have his own skin in the game. OPM.

I used to suck at this game, but I spent much of my adult life in parts of the world where it is not only required but expected! Many times, It would be a great dishonor not to negotiate or haggle, like you were too good to take the time to bargain for what ever it was you wanted! I quickly learned this art and now I am considered deadly at it!

3k over Kelly?
So you sold it for 6k?
You should start a used car lot.
This thing was mint. It was definitely an aggressive price, but many arguments could be made for our valuation. That said, a seller is allowed to start anywhere they want, for a sale requires only a meeting of the minds. It is not the seller's responsibility to start at their lowest acceptable price. Instead, it is the buyer's responsibility to do their due diligence. The other side of the same coin is that an item is worth EXACTLY what a willing buyer and a willing seller agree upon, not a dollar more or a dollar less. This wasn't a commodity with a fixed market price. This buyer was smitten with this vehicle the moment he laid his eyes.

Negotiation isn't a difficult dance to learn, but one must be willing to get out on the dance floor, take your partner's hand, look them in the eye, and begin to tango. The negotiation dance starts before you ever meet, continues with every conversation point, and nothing is finished until the ink is dry or money changes hands.

I understand the art of haggling and have been places where its expected.
But , I dislike like to do so myself.
If I want to purchase something , I research it first.
Then if you have what I want and a price that I am willing to pay , I buy it.
If not then I move on.
Haggling to me , is tiresome and not something I enjoy.
Maybe those folks felt the same?
That being said , I tend to price something I want to sell a little higher than what I want to get , just 'cause some folks like to "talk you down in price."
Again a practice I dislike , but deal with.
Andy

The little snowflake is used to getting his way and his daddy will probably change the oil for him.

Props to you for getting a premium price. Nobody twisted their arm. Everybody is happy in this deal.

I've found that many people these days no longer appreciate the fine art of haggling. Oh well- that's good for the sellers I guess.
It does take some of the fun out of buying used stuff though.

I'm one of those non hagglers!:D Don't get me wrong, I'm good at it! It's just that, life's short and I'm old. I don't have all day to take a POS off you're hands. Also, I get my yucks from, "Well, that's more than I'd want to pay!" "So long!"
And listening to Billy Barter, sputter, and "Hey, we can talk about it!"
Talk to my azz, it's pointed at you! The world is full of those things!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top