JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots to consider. If you're looking at a shotgun I'd make sure it has a short barrel for ease of working in close quarters and consider something your significant other can shoot as well. For a shotgun, the only optics I'd consider would be a laser and a high power light to blind your perp.

Optics for what? What kind of gun do you have?

This is about the 400th similar thread you've started. I get wanting to grab as much information as possible, but you really need to provide more details so we can help you figure out whatever it is you're trying to figure out.

For a shotgun, the only optics I'd consider would be a laser and a high power light to blind your perp.
First, lasers are not optics. Shotguns and red dots work great together. Shotguns are a short range weapon where a RDS shines and they help extend the range of the shotgun. A 100 yards+ with slugs is easy all day long. I have an Aimpoint Micro on my 1301 and based on that experience I am considering one for my 870 as well.

I like chocolate !
1638407679956.png

Optics for what? What kind of gun do you have?

This is about the 400th similar thread you've started. I get wanting to grab as much information as possible, but you really need to provide more details so we can help you figure out whatever it is you're trying to figure out.
And once you start a thread, please hang around and participate. Nothing is more frustrating to responders than putting careful thought into a response and OP has dropped out and never responds, never thanks those who have been useful. If you don't care enough to participate, why should we? If you don't care enough to tell us more at the beginning its kinda wasting our time. We can either try to answer the question with so little info we are likely to be wasting our time or just give the question a pass. You don't even tell us whether you want a handgun, shotgun, or rifle. Or if a habdgun, whether it will be for home defense only, or also for concealed carry.

If you are taking a handgun course soon, and will have the opportunity to try many, it would be foolish to try to make decisions now. And it might be more useful asking specific questions you have after you have taken the course rather than asking such vague questions now. There are lots of good gun YouTube channels to give you an overview. Paul Harrell does an especially nice job.

Although the AR is is a bit extreme but a useful tool one could purchase a a HK VP9 and a 30 round mag and call it good . The Hk pistols have never failed me even straight out of the box "break in cmon " !
When if comes to HD/SD I'm good with extreme. The VP9 is a good gun, I gave it a whirl but at the end of the day in moved out and the Glocks stayed. I never cared for the extra mags with handguns, makes them feel awkward to me. If you have to "break-in" a gun, you bought the wrong one.

I have a 12 gauge shotgun
What kind of Shotgun?
How long is the barrel?
What kind of ammo? How big is your house?
Do you have a light on it?
Can other people in the house use the gun?
This is just a few questions you should consider for a home defense firearms.
If you live in a Apartment.
VERY BIG QUESTION
Because drywall doesn't stop bullets very well.
For a shot gun in a house I would not worry about optics.
I would just get a good light on it .
And make sure it's kept in a safe place.
And make sure everyone in the house knows how to use it.

Not a gun but some things to consider....

What is your plan...?
Are you going to wait in place with a phone and your gun...
Or are you going to try and clear your house...
Or more along the lines of Monty Python and...Now for something completely different....
In any event...
A plan...a good flexible plan is a must.

I ask about a plan...because every home and every situation is different.
What works well for one person , may not work out so well for you.

Now about a gun....
If I remember correctly you have mentioned , in a different thread , that you have a 870 shotgun....
That will work nicely for HD , even if you have a "long" hunting barrel....you just gotta adapt your plan and tactics for where you are and what you are using....
( That said...a shorter barrel will be more helpful here in HD , and after market barrels for the 870 abound )
I mention your 870....'cause its the gun you own....and presumably you know how to shoot it.
So that may beat all , when comes to HD.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads